• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Not without jacking up the price.

Yup.

Honestly I think the RCN would be better suited to attempting to shape the battle space to make the AUKUS SSN more appealing to Canadians.

Looking at the OS requirements for a Submarine the range, speed and under ice conditions listed reduce the non Nuke power options to zero at this point in time.

Canada has a history of using nuclear power, and has vast reserves of Uranium. It is also the greenest power option out there.
I fail to see how Canadians have issues with this.
I don't think AUKUS SSN will be a viable option for us due to the reasons stated by Rainbow1910 and others. There is no political will or courage in the Lib or the Con parties for this. Canada is facing a slowing down economy, huge public debts, and lacklustre political leadership in all the major political parties. Even Mr. Poilievre has not committed to NATO spending target of 2% if he is elected Prime Minister.

To be frank, while the new Defence White paper may state that submarines are a necessity, the likelihood of a submarine replacement program grows dimmer as our public debt grows larger. While the Cons lambaste the Libs for not meeting NATO commitments and neglecting the CAF, the reality is when / if the Cons are in power they will blame the Libs for the poor state of the economy, the huge public debt and they will use this excuse not to meet security commitments. Both the Libs and Cons will continue to freeload off the Americans.

Situation: No change.

Im curious what the minimum Canadianization we would require of the various subs out there we would need/want

do we need the torpedos to be mk48?
sonar?
combat system?
engines look to be all MTU so we can avoid that issue

Im curious what the minimum Canadianization we would require of the various subs out there we would need/want

sonar?
combat system?
Comms, crypto. After that its a decision on what to do with torps which has knock on effects to the CMS.

CMS = Combat Management System?

Yep.

Modern warships and submarines' weapons and sensors are so integrated that it gets complicated pretty quick, and substituting one component for another isn't necessarily easy.

I've always been amazed at the techs' ability to keep the Halifax-class' CMS running, considering the number of interfaces that exist to get a sensor to talk to CMS properly. Not to say it's a bad system, it's just very complex.

Yep.

Modern warships and submarines' weapons and sensors are so integrated that it gets complicated pretty quick, and substituting one component for another isn't necessarily easy.

I've always been amazed at the techs' ability to keep the Halifax-class' CMS running, considering the number of interfaces that exist to get a sensor to talk to CMS properly. Not to say it's a bad system, it's just very complex.
Lots of discussion to have CMS Tech as a 6th WEng Tech speciality because it requires so much time to keep working. The Radar techs still need to do radar work as well.

The US Techs are organized that way.

Yep.

1691281238768.png Just what you need to connect your Commodore 64 to your Android phone.

sonar?
combat system?
Equip it with mukluks and snowshoes?

I'm kidding of course....

I would certainly hope so. No screen doors then? 😉
Nor made of cardboard. I really, really wanted one of these as a kid. Thankfully my parents said no.

polaris-nuclear-sub.jpg

Back