• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Canada’s closest allies only build Nuke boats now because the rows required from them for longer range patrolling and under ice work require a nuke boat.
Canada however is apparently the only one in step in the marching troop…
Lol, Canada dances to a polka while the US/UK/AUS has graduated and moved on to a complicated waltz.

Meanwhile......

Cool...but with what submariners?

A country doesn't aggressively try to recruit foreign nationals (Lateral Transfers, they call it) because they're flush and can retain their own people.

Also, while living near a city is great, it's not so great when "the big city" next to yours (Perth) is one of the most isolated cities in the world.

Yet, in Australia, most large cities can be found along the east and south coasts, away from the interior, the bush, which dominates the majority of the country. Then there is Perth, with a metropolitan area of more than two million people, way on the other side of the outback from Sydney, 2,045 miles away. Geographically it’s actually closer to East Timor (1,731 miles) and Jakarta, Indonesia (1,865 miles). There’s no city of comparable size anywhere in the world that’s so remote.

The city’s population exploded during a late 19th century gold rush, then surged again after the second world war following an influx of European immigration and increased mining activity. Yet development was restricted to just that corner of the country. The nearest city of at least 100,000 people is Adelaide, a distance of more than 1,300 miles.

A country doesn't aggressively try to recruit foreign nationals (Lateral Transfers, they call it) because they're flush and can retain their own people.

Also, while living near a city is great, it's not so great when "the big city" next to yours (Perth) is one of the most isolated cities in the world.

I'll go (my wife would jump too but she's an RN)! .......hmmm as I look over my CV......would my lack of Nuclear anything and dearth of Navy training in general be a show stopper? :)

I'll go (my wife would jump too but she's an RN)! .......hmmm as I look over my CV......would my lack of Nuclear anything and dearth of Navy training in general be a show stopper? :)
I don't know where you're living in Canada, but Australian house prices are....steep.

If the Yanks have subs that work and are short submariners, while the Aussies have submariners but are short subs that work, it seems to me to be a reasonable trade-off.

The Yanks and the Brits regularly sell their cast-offs down market at a discount. Just like the car rental companies.

Perhaps this will encourage the US and the UK to build subs faster and pass them along sooner.

You really think that they believe it at all? If you do I will sell you another bridge. They are tools to achieve control the same as lockdowns and legalising drugs are.
Cynically, I believe only Guilbault actually believes it. The others appreciate it’s just a tool to influence the masses.

I was looking at naval news and this was there

I would not get too excited by this. This does not mean that the gov't is serious about replacing the Victoria Class submarines. I would start to pay more attention when the other AIP submarine manufacturers start developing Cdn partnerships in order to position themselves for a possible request for information from the Cdn gov't.

The partnership maybe in response from the RCN's solicitation for information from the Korean company which may lead to nothing.

Wait for the new White Paper on Defence.

I would not get too excited by this. This does not mean that the gov't is serious about replacing the Victoria Class submarines. I would start to pay more attention when the other AIP submarine manufacturers start developing Cdn partnerships in order to position themselves for a possible request for information from the Cdn gov't.

The partnership maybe in response from the RCN's solicitation for information from the Korean company which may lead to nothing.

Wait for the new White Paper on Defence.
I'm sure the new White Paper will be worth as much as SSE... Virtue signals, with no clear direction or purpose.

If the Yanks have subs that work and are short submariners, while the Aussies have submariners but are short subs that work, it seems to me to be a reasonable trade-off.

The Yanks and the Brits regularly sell their cast-offs down market at a discount. Just like the car rental companies.

Perhaps this will encourage the US and the UK to build subs faster and pass them along sooner.
Both parties are short submariners, which was what @dimsum was pointing out. The RAN is actively recruiting trained people from other countries, because they can't train and retain their own... I guess it might open doors for some Yanks who hate Washington, Hawaii, and Maine...

Any Liberal politician, IMO:

Blah Blah Blah Sock Puppet GIF by Your Happy Workplace

Alliances are funny things. Countries don't have friends - they have similar interests. Our interest seems to have gone in a different direction than that of Australia, US, UK and NZ.
Gone or always was in a different direction. SE Asia isn't really our backyard. But N Asia is. So if we are going to do work it needs to be there. That's why I like this S Korean sub idea. Reinforces a regional alliance.

Canada's interests seem to have gone in pretty much the same direction as NZ's.
Not saying this as a justification, but the US-Canada relationship is very similar to the Australia-NZ relationship.

• Two similar(ish) cultures, to the point that outsiders can't tell them apart sometimes
  • Easier travel process between the two nations than with other nations
  • One vastly bigger population and one vastly smaller
  • The bigger population country essentially takes care of defence of the continent
  • The smaller population country has many people working in the bigger population country
The two big differences are country size (hence why I was talking about population) and that Canadians can't automatically work in the US or join the US military, whereas Kiwilanders can do that in Emutopia.

Back