• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the pack system?

Camelbak HAWG IMO is a good size for an "assault" pack.  Fits easily in a ruck,  and it's just big enough to hold what you need for short duration.  I've used it to carry a radio, bladder and some other small items.  I'm sure it would work well to carry some boxes of C9 or belts of 7.62, and/or other mission essential kit.   

Probably be used in place of the rucksack in many cases.
IMO something that is an "assault" pack shouldn't be large enough to replace the ruck.  Assault pack to me is something you'd want to carry in the ruck,  and when you drop your ruck in the PB you take the assault pack for patrols,  raids, etc.  Pack would only be meant to carry what you need for a short patrol,  assaulting a position, etc.  Ammo, water bladder, radio, and whatever else is needed.

Something to replace the ruck in certain situation would be something more like a 24hr+ pack similar to what the small pack is designed for.  Just need something better then the current small pack for the role though.

fraserdw said:
In effect, we have done that, Pattern 82 is for us "WOGs" and HQ types and CTS is for the light infantry.  CTS has issues but it's carrying capacity is what is needed to go foot mobile for 2 weeks.  What would be nice is a pack system designed on the same frame, where you can change out 1 Day pack; 25 Litres, 3 Day Pack; 65 Litres, 7 Day Pack; 90 Litres and Long Range Recon "hide in the bush for a month"; 140 litres Pack.  everyone would get the 1 and 3 Day packs with a frame but only infantry would receive the 7 day and only recce units would receive the Recon Pack.  All common frame all with interchangeable pouches that also interchange with a tac vest (for others) and chest rig (for infantry).  Also the 1 day pack would be functionally fittable to the larger packs.  The packs and vests should have a common hydration system as well.

Mystery Ranch NICE Frame with BVS?

I'd say keep the day pack (3DAP?) seperate, because there's lots of us who bring a day pack and ruck to the field. The MR Wolf Pack fits the bill for the 3 day pack (Wolf Alpha holds 69L), and 7 day pack (add the Pup for a whole 100L capacity). For Recce guys and attached you can issue out the MR 7500 (123L) and we can either use sustainment pouches (20L each) or the MR side pouches (varying sizes).

Going with the NICE Frame with BVS on a widescale issue would mean EVERYONE gets issued the same frame, sized to their bodies (S, M, L yokes and S, M, L belts), and EVERYONE can be issued the appropriate pack for their own job. On top of this, all the packs have a radio harness inside, and the MR lids have ports to put hydration inside and feed it out. Further, it's designed for wear with AND without body armour, you can remove the bolsters from the newer frames if you don't need them.

R031button said:
Well it would put a sour taste in the mouths of some had they been jacked up for wearing non issued kit and the RSM is wearing a 64 pattern.

I would concur............... how ever I didn't jack anyone up for non issued kit. I  let my guys wear whatever kind of boots they want as long as they come above the ankle and are black. I all so let them wear shemaghs and being an ex Strat I don't really say much about their sideburns either  ;D

How ever you are corect that I should be wearing at least the 82 patteren ruck (haven't been fitted for the other one)

Tank Troll said:
How ever you are corect that I should be wearing at least the 82 patteren ruck (haven't been fitted for the other one)

Why can't you wear the issued 64 pattern rucksack?

Tank Troll said:

Good lord why? The new ruck might not be the best thing in the world, I like it because I have a long torso and it works for me, but it's a shit ton better then that sack of shit. I can't imagine anyone wearing that over the new ruck.

R031button said:
Good lord why? The new ruck might not be the best thing in the world, I like it because I have a long torso and it works for me, but it's a crap ton better then that sack of crap. I can't imagine anyone wearing that over the new ruck.

We just stood up as a unit in 09 I have no one qualified to fit us for the new ruck. and it doesn't fit in a G wagon any way and I would only us it once a year for the BFT. Far better to let it get issued to troops that will use it/ need it more than I.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Why can't you wear the issued 64 pattern rucksack?

Some of my troops were vocalizing about why I was wearing a 64 pattern ruck that looked way more comfortable and cooler than theirs. As the acting RSM I need to set an example and share their miseries.

Tank Troll said:
Some of my troops were vocalizing about why I was wearing a 64 pattern ruck that looked way more comfortable and cooler than theirs. As the acting RSM I need to set an example and share their miseries.

Right TT but why not authorize the 64 pattern ruck along side with 82 pattern and CTS ruck?  As far as I see it, they're all issued and the 64 is a good ruck and not some weird harold thing from the great war.

Tank Troll said:

As an RSM, you should tell them it's garbage. And invest in the 64 ruck. Lead by example. :D
"Only an idiot makes themself uncomfortable in the field." Use that term.

Regards,
Macey

ObedientiaZelum said:
Right TT but why not authorize the 64 pattern ruck along side with 82 pattern and CTS ruck?  As far as I see it, they're all issued and the 64 is a good ruck and not some weird harold thing from the great war.

Macey said:
As an RSM, you should tell them it's garbage. And invest in the 64 ruck. Lead by example.

The problem is that it isn't issued any more at least not to Armour Reservist. Mine was issued to me many years ago and to my young soldiers it was as far back as the Great War. How ever I told them where they could get one if they wanted to buy one. So the next exercise we had one of them shows up with this civi ruck that he got online. I asked why he was using it he told me the one I recommended was too expensive and this on was cheaper. This is what I have to deal with so it is just easier to where the 82 pattern ruck for 1 Day a year.

PuckChaser said:
Are you saying there is one common frame that you can mount all 4 packs to? So you'd have to disassemble your ruck to move down into a smaller pack, and reassemble later? That would have to be one heck of a system.

I did a thought experiment and sent it up the food chain many years ago with a slightly different twist to the idea. There would be a "core" bag which would be the assault bag carrying the ammo, rations and extra socks you should never be without (or alternatively a 522 or 117 type radio). Surrounding that with a quick release system would be three large "pockets" which all the snivel kit goes into. On contact you pull the quick release and they fall free (along with the valise and sleeping bag) so you can carry out the assault; but more importantly still have your ammunition and food with you. You might have to remain in place for quite some time before releif appears (or if things go poorly you might have to bug out), so you don't want to do without your ammo and food.

At the time, I had never heard of a Camelback, so there is no built in hydration system with this version of the idea, there is no reason why it could not be incorporated.

Thucydides said:
I did a thought experiment and sent it up the food chain many years ago with a slightly different twist to the idea. There would be a "core" bag which would be the assault bag carrying the ammo, rations and extra socks you should never be without (or alternatively a 522 or 117 type radio). Surrounding that with a quick release system would be three large "pockets" which all the snivel kit goes into. On contact you pull the quick release and they fall free (along with the valise and sleeping bag) so you can carry out the assault; but more importantly still have your ammunition and food with you. You might have to remain in place for quite some time before releif appears (or if things go poorly you might have to bug out), so you don't want to do without your ammo and food.

At the time, I had never heard of a Camelback, so there is no built in hydration system with this version of the idea, there is no reason why it could not be incorporated.

So... kind of like this then: http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Basics

Plus a bergen?

Back