• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day

Spanky

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I had the honour and privlige of attending our local community‘s Remembrance Day ceremony today. I‘ve been attending every year for the past 16. It was disappointing to see so few spectators. The only people there were serving members, vets, and their families.
What really got me angry, however, was one of the "honoured" guests. Our local MP read what was probably a canned speech, laid a wreath, then ducked out the side, well before the ceremony was completed. I guess she had something REALLY important to do. :rage: Oh, guess what party she represents. Yup... Liberal!

I have to agree with Spanky. I was at the same ceremony and listened to this MP talk of how we should support our veterans and our serving military personnel. What I found particularly galling was that this was coming from a cabinet minister of the party that has screwed the military in every budget for the last 8 or 9 years. Talk is cheap.

Irony.

Thats horrible to see. It doesn‘t make much sense.

in the united states, there were parades in muilple cities accross america for rememberance day (or veterans day as they call it) and the preisident attended some of them and gave a speech. not much of this going on in canada :(

Its the Liberal party..... its so upsetting really. I was watching the ottawa service and there was the PM standing in the rain. And all I do was think why is he there. It doesn‘t care about the military nor does really care about the vets who served.

But what can you do, as long we have this old dated elections system that allows parties with less than 40% of the popular vote form the gov‘t nothing will change.

I say bring the revoltion baby!!!!! its a time for a change.

I dont think that the poor turnout at the service you attended is indicative of the turnouts at other locations. Here in Guelph and Elora the turnouts were extremely high. Maybe the local press,legions and ex-military need to do a better job of promoting.

Service here in the ‘Jaw was pretty decent too. The community always shows its support, and there is a decent turn out of all three branches of the CF too.

Comments like yours, Radiohead, can get you shot. Without our political masters and what they represent (no matter how badly they do it) we have no course to follow. Remember, we exist to uphold the Constitution, and democracy is a big part of that...

A decent turn out in Kitchener Waterloo region also.

"We can truly say the whole circuit of the earth is girdled with the graves of our dead...and in the course of my pilgrimage, I have many times asked myself whether there can be more potent advocates of peace upon earth through the years to come than this massed multitude of silent witnesses to the destruction of war"

King George V
Flanders, 1922

Quite a good turnout here in Vancouver despite the rain. Also, as we did the march past, people were carrying signs saying "Thank You" or "We Support You" and such. It was quite heartwarming.

Our turnout in little old Berwick was very good. I have heard it was excellent in other areas of the valley in NS also. The only downside was the local MP who was falling asleep on the stage! Thanks for your heartfelt representation federal member. Sigh...

Back