• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day

jollyjacktar said:
I've just returned from my local Remembrance Day service.  While the crowd was not too bad, I did notice that there were no Second World War veterans in attendance.  The few I do know here are not in the best of health now and I suppose I won't see many if any of the old guard in future services.  It saddens me to think of how fast they're slipping away nowadays.
* and not one white poppy or idiot in sight...
This year in Wawa we were down to 3 of the old guard Vet's(WW2, Korea) but for the first time ever we had 5 Members still serving 3 of them members of the new guard Vets  (Yugo, Bosnia, Afghanistan.
As for the White Poppy I do believe any that showed would be dealt with quickly.

8,000+ at the service in Saskatoon. Have attended annually for last decade or so and it is always very well done. This year, Korean vets were payed compliments and there were probably about 10 WWII vets in the parade. For a young person who will be swearing in within the next few weeks, this year's service had a whole new meaning.  :salute:

We probably had 500 at Kemptville with more at the other sites in the Municipality of North Grenville (pop 15,000) in wind, wet snow and chilly conditions. Charles Company was in attendance and did very well.

I told the Mayor and one of the council about how we used to do it before the 1930s. See here: http://www.decorationday.ca/history.htm

Remembrance day ceremonies are usually pretty huge here in St.Johns. Weather was absolute crap here today though so I think it was canceled.

matthew709 said:
Remembrance day ceremonies are usually pretty huge here in St.Johns. Weather was absolute crap here today though so I think it was canceled.

Negative, it went off although it was condensed. 37 CER/56 ES/ Salute Tp still put off our annual 21 Gun salute.

Notwithstanding the OP, I've had several of my American (civilian and ex-military) colleagues wish me a "Happy Veterans Day" today.  I appreciated the sentiment - as well as the difference between what 11-11 means north and south of the border.  While it is indeed a more solemn and sober day here, I keep remembering Peanuts comics where Snoopy puts on his wedge and goes over to Bill Mauldin's house on Veteran's Day to quaff a few root beers and talk about their days in the service... as far as that goes, I think that "Happy Veterans Day" is not at all an incorrect sentiment if it comes from the appropriate source.  :2c:

The Americans have Memorial Day to remember their Fallen.  We have Remembrance Day to remember our Fallen.

The Americans have Veteran's Day to remember and thank their living Veterans.  We have Red Fridays.

George Wallace said:
The Americans have Memorial Day to remember their Fallen.  We have Remembrance Day to remember our Fallen.

The Americans have Veteran's Day to remember and thank their living Veterans.  We have Red Fridays.

Unfortunately a lot of people in key positions don't seem to know the difference. I attended two parades and in both the speakers (legion and senior CF pers) were thanking the serving members and implied that Remembrance day is for that reason.  So it not hard to see where people can get confused. 

I'm left wondering where the confusion lies; here, or elsewhere:

http://www.legion.ca/honour-remember/poppy-remembrance/

Honouring the Past
As part of our Mission, The Legion strives to ensure that the deeds of those who fell are not forgotten. Whether it is through our promotion and organization of Remembrance Day events across the country (including the National Remembrance Day Ceremony in Ottawa), our annual Poppy Campaign, the creation and care of memorials like the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the preservation of the records and memories of fallen heroes, youth education or many of the other activities we are involved in, we honour the past.

Respecting the Present
Of course, it is not only to honour the fallen that we observe Remembrance Day each and every year. As part of our observance, we also acknowledge the courage and sacrifice of both the Veterans including currently serving. In fact, through the generosity of Canadians who take part in our Poppy Campaign, we are able to serve Veterans and their families on a daily basis. With a number of advocacy efforts and member services, we ensure that they are cared for and treated with the respect they deserve.

Anyone catch the CDS mis-identifying the unit of his wreath-laying guest at the start of CBC's coverage of the national ceremony?

' Cpl M*****, of 37 Construction Engineer Regiment....'???

Towards_the_gap said:
Anyone catch the CDS mis-identifying the unit of his wreath-laying guest at the start of CBC's coverage of the national ceremony?

' Cpl M*****, of 37 Construction Engineer Regiment....'???

Damn pretty bad even they don't know a unit's name.... :facepalm: and the member would be from my regiment.... 37 COMBAT ENGINEER REGIMENT....

George Wallace said:
We have Red Fridays.

Sadly, I don't know when's the last time I saw any signs, or heard any promotion, of the Canadian public commemorating / participating in Red Fridays.
Has anyone else observed a similar decline in participation amongst the general / civilian population?

I'm kind of ashamed to say this right now...But I never even heard of red Fridays until Mr.Wallace mentioned it.

matthew709 said:
Weather was absolute crap here today though so I think it was canceled.
Perhaps you should have gone to look; the experience may have proven beneficial.

Following this thread has given me pause to reconsider how I look at Remembrance Day. I understand the purpose of Remembrance Day is to honour the fallen, but it appears over time this has expanded to include honouring our living veterans. Looking at what happened across Canada yesterday, to me it was heartwarming to see how much appreciation was extended to our veterans while at the same time Canadians honoured our dead. Is this a bad thing? I know some might see this as a deviation from the original purpose of Remembrance Day, or some sort of Americanization of a Canadian tradition, but I think we should embrace this change. Heaven knows our veterans need all the public support they can get, so why not simply accept this and acknowledge that Remembrance Day now includes honouring our veterans? I would suggest that in the minds of many Canadians it already does, so why resist?  Honouring living veterans does not reduce our respect for the fallen. And with regards to Red Shirt Fridays, is that still happening? I live in a military town (well, Naval town) and its been a long, long time since I have seen this mentioned in the press, or anywhere else for that matter.

Good post, OldTanker.  I was going to say more or less the same thing.  Despite what the 11th commemoration was intended/designed, I too believe it has over the years changed to what we see now.  A dual purpose perhaps Veteran's Day/Memorial Day (to borrow from the references made down with our cousins) as it were. 

The survivors of the Great War whom wanted to remember the fallen with this day have now also left our side, and the Second World War veteran's are swiftly departing now too.  In the not too distant future there will be no one left to remember their fallen comrades on a personal level.  Although they (the survivors) didn't make the ultimate sacrifice, they did sacrifice none the less for the greater good of Canada.  Is it wrong to show appreciation to them while there are here to receive it?  I think perhaps not.  It's good and right in my opinion that they should be acknowledged in a positive manner by their fellow citizens.

Anyhow that's my  :2c:

OldTanker said:
I would suggest that in the minds of many Canadians it already does, so why resist?
I have to disagree.

In the minds of many Canadians, writing "C U @ bar" is considered a sentence. Should we resist?  Well, it does convey the purpose of passing a message, so what's the problem.  But then you get a memo from a subordinate, usually time-sensitive with an expectation that it will be forwarded quickly, that looks like it was written by a chimpanzee, because we've accepted the lowest-common denominator.

Can we not maintain one day without losing focus and dumbing it down for the masses?  Particularly this day, because once you shrug and say "OK, it's not to remember sacrifices in war, but to commemorate anyone who's worn a uniform," it quickly becomes politicized (as we've seen with the white poppy crowd), or its value diminished (in previous years, I've seen reference to including fallen emergency services' personnel).

If "the masses" misunderstand the meaning of Remembrance Day, then perhaps an education push is needed -- yes, even if that hurts the feelings of some kid from Newfoundland posting on a military-themed website.  I'm sure he'll remember the meaning of 11 November from this day forward.

Having lost several friends on military operations, Remembrance Day has become more personal to me over the past few years than it used to be.  Maybe I just "get it" now.  And while I certainly have no anger issues  ;)  when a friend of several years thanked me for my service the other day, I just wanted to yell at her, "IT'S NOT ABOUT US!!!"  It was that irritating.

So no, I don't think we should dumb it down to patting ourselves on the back for wearing or having worn a uniform.  It's not about us.

Occam said:
I'm left wondering where the confusion lies; here, or elsewhere:

http://www.legion.ca/honour-remember/poppy-remembrance/

(....)
With the confusion further reinforced by shotgun government messaging - this from the GG (highlights mine) ....
When the call to arms first sounded, thousands of Canadians took up the quarrel with a most terrible foe. The machine of war cut them down in their youth, to lay for eternity in foreign fields. Still, their spirit lives on in our acts of remembrance.

History has flowed past in the sombre waves of veterans marching in annual parades at memorials held across the country. Heads high, arms stiffened in salute, despite the weight of time and memory resting upon their shoulders. Dwindling ranks from battles of long ago are replenished with the men and women whose more recent service abroad and at home has earned them a place of privilege among their older comrades-in-arms.

This Remembrance Day, I will humbly and proudly receive their salute, on behalf of all Canadians. We are grateful for your service and thank you for your sacrifices. We will never forget.
.... and this from the PM ....
Today, Canadians across the country gather to remember and honour the generations of Canadian men and women in uniform who left the warmth of their homes and the comfort of their families to face the hardships of conflict. We pay tribute to those who have and continue to defend our country, and promote and protect the universal values of freedom, democracy and the rule of law that we continue to hold dear ....  “Today, Canadians across the country gather to remember and honour the generations of Canadian men and women in uniform who left the warmth of their homes and the comfort of their families to face the hardships of conflict. We pay tribute to those who have and continue to defend our country, and promote and protect the universal values of freedom, democracy and the rule of law that we continue to hold dear .... On this special day, let us pay our heartfelt tribute to all members of the Canadian Armed Forces – both past and present – whose selflessness, courage and sacrifices have given us the freedom we enjoy, the democracy by which we govern ourselves and the justice under which we live. ....
.... and this from the Minister of Defence ....
On November 11th Canadians honour our men and women in uniform, who have served and continue to serve with courage and dedication, at home and abroad. We also pause to remember the sailors, soldiers, , airmen and airwomen, and special operations forces that have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country, laying down their lives to protect our freedom and security.

Canadian Armed Forces members have always stood ready to defend Canada and North America, and to contribute to international peace and security. Approximately two million Canadians have served their country in the last century, participating in two World Wars, a decade of operations in Afghanistan, and numerous other conflict zones in Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

For generations, people all over the world have paused at 11 a.m. on Remembrance Day to pray and reflect on the sacrifices made by those who served their country ....
.... and this from the Minister of Military History in Canada Veterans Affairs ....
“Today, we honour brave Canadian men and women in uniform who have served our country during times of war, military conflict and peace. Throughout our nation’s history, Canadians have been asked to defend and sacrifice for the values of peace and freedom around the world. For generations, Canadians have bravely stood ready and responded as such.

“This year we mark the 60th anniversary of the armistice that ended the active fighting in the Korean War, which was one of Canada’s most significant military engagements of the 20th century. More than 26,000 Canadians served in the Korean War between 1950 and 1953.

“We also mark the 95th anniversary of the end of the First World War and the 65th anniversary of United Nations peacekeeping operations. In 2014, we will enter a period where Canadians will be marking major international anniversaries of the Great Wars.

“On these occasions and throughout the year, Canadians pause to remember the sacrifices of these brave men and women. We remember those who, in defending peace and freedom, paid the ultimate price with their lives, as well as those who have served Canada in uniform.

“Canada’s Veterans are respected around the world—respected for their dedication, for their courage and for their compassion. Today, Canadians gather together in solidarity in communities from coast to coast to coast to pay tribute to our soldiers, sailors and air personnel—wherever and whenever they served ....
.... and, finally, this from the CDS:
.... We remember our fallen and their loved ones. We remember those who were injured, physically or mentally; all of our veterans; and the families who help them carry on. We remember the enormous sacrifices and achievements made during the Great War, and the Second World War ....

Seems pretty clear to me, right? :sarcasm:

Journeyman said:
.... So no, I don't think we should dumb it down to patting ourselves on the back for wearing or having worn a uniform.  It's not about us.
:goodpost: - Milpoints inbound

Back