• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembering 9-11 (merged anniversary thread)

I thought about this a lot today as well and sadly we didn't do anything as a group at work though I noticed a few folks aside from myself taking a moment to think/remember that day.

Nice work Rice. I myself was deeply sadden about the 9/11 attacks and, well, it is the reason why we fight and one of the many reasons why I want to join, so this don't happen again. For the people who lost friends and love ones, I'm sorry for your loss.  :salute:  :cdn:  :salute:

Strike said:
Nov 11th originally signified the end of a war...Sept 11th can be thought of as the beginning of one.  The two should never be compared.

Oops, hate to be picky, but the Terrorist attacks were the catalyst for the war in Afghanistan, not the beginning.  I think the Sept.11th attacks were especially heinous since there was no declaration of war, and no warning.
Germany got in pretty hard at Versailles for attacking through Belgium without declaring war on them first.

exsemjingo said:
Oops, hate to be picky, but the Terrorist attacks were the catalyst for the war in Afghanistan, not the beginning.  I think the Sept.11th attacks were especially heinous since there was no declaration of war, and no warning.
Germany got in pretty hard at Versailles for attacking through Belgium without declaring war on them first.

Agreed but we don't commemorate the day the came across the border in that undeclared war.

This has BAD IDEA written all over it. Good thing Gen. Petraeus is on the ball. Either way, I'll be watching from a safe distance....

The short version;
Dove World Outreach Centre, Gainesville Florida, wants to mourn 9/11 with a book burning. Book being the Qur'an, and US top soldier in A'stan says "DON'T DO IT, YOU'RE GONNA PISS THEM OFF, AND WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT HERE ON THE FRONTLINES"

The long version;
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/09/07/afghanistan-general-petraeus-quaran-burning.html

Already a petition out there for people to sign condemning the idea of burning the Koran:
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/632/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=4685

I can't wait for the Arab media to throw this in with all the previous (typically false) accusations of disrespecting the Koran to whip up the consumer masses.

See my earlier comments here.

I repeat brainless, mindless fanatics can be found in most religious "families."

E.R. Campbell said:
See my earlier comments here.

I repeat brainless, mindless fanatics can be found in most religious "families."
True - and you don't need many BMFs to cause problems for the entire "family" (real or perceived).

Sapplicant said:
This has BAD IDEA written all over it. Good thing Gen. Petraeus is on the ball. Either way, I'll be watching from a safe distance....

The short version;
Dove World Outreach Centre, Gainesville Florida

Yeah, looks like they have the "Outreach" part figured out.  ::)  A-holes.  They are no better than the Taliban.  E.R. you were bang on with your earlier comments on these losers.  Speaking for myself, I do hope they advance the cause of a Secular world closer.

Doing this would be bringing themselves right down to the same level. I don't really agree with the press actually publishing this and making it more public then it already was/is. I hope these people don't follow through with it and just drop it where it is.

Rick Sanchez's (of CNN) report on the topic, he interviews the pastor of the church.

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/09/06/ricks.quran.burning.contro.cnn

Mr. (Rev? Pastor? Doctor?) Jones has achieved his aim: he's on TV! I have no doubt that Glen Beck will find something kind to say and Sarah Palin will probably attend the book burning.

This guy and Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton and Snookie all belong together. They are, suddenly, celebrities - people whose existence we celebrate -  just for being stupid.

Seems to me that this action would be more of an insult to the victims than anything else. On the anniversary of the worst act of terrorism performed by extremists in North America, those people plan on commemorating it by doing something that only encourages extremists to keep hating, attacking, and killing more innocent people. And all because my God's cock is bigger than your God's cock.  ::) Ridiculous. I agree with E R, stupidity knows no religion, or race for that matter.

I heard this - well - I can't use any of my preferred terms for him on army.ca - on CNN this morning, what an absolutely ignorant buffoon, whose idiotic stunt directly threatens lives.

His justifications for doing so are about some of the most inane and ignorant things I've ever heard.

Fortunately, his "church" has now had its fire insurance cancelled - and even better - turns out the mortgage is held by RBC Bank (Royal Bank of Canada's US subsidiary).  According to "Doctor" Jones, RBC has called it in, they want their money now, or they are going to boot them out.  Beautiful.

Sapplicant said:
Seems to me that this action would be more of an insult to the victims than anything else. On the anniversary of the worst act of terrorism performed by extremists in North America, those people plan on commemorating it by doing something that only encourages extremists to keep hating, attacking, and killing more innocent people. And all because my God's **** is bigger than your God's ****.  ::) Ridiculous. I agree with E R, stupidity knows no religion, or race for that matter.

Ignorant poor white southern trash in all likelyhood. Meeting people of this ilk is a real eye opener, been there.

Absolutely.  Sadly I have them in my family in Georgia (in-laws), my wife fortunately is nothing like them.

a78jumper said:
Ignorant poor white southern trash in all likelyhood. Meeting people of this ilk is a real eye opener, been there.

a78jumper said:
Ignorant poor white southern trash in all likelyhood.

Wow, a bit of irony in that statement.

You're using a stereotype to broadbrush Americans from the South as white trash who stereotype Muslims as Jihadists.

I did not say everyone from the south was that way, just apparently members of this so called "Church" . I do not believe most non whites are capable of such hate, as they themselves are victims of those that do, and there are some very nice and rational people in the southern USA as well, white and otherwise.  And not all Christians are Muslim haters either-my Church is just finishing a Ramadan based series to pray for our fellow citizens during their holy month.

a78jumper said:
....... . I do not believe most non whites are capable of such hate, as they themselves are victims of those that do,

I would say that is a completely false statement.  Hatred is not a predominately "White" fault.  It is a fault found in all races.  Some other ethnic groups carry "hatred" to even more extremes than you will find in the White Anglo Saxon West. 

Your statement either represents the "White Apologists" or the racist comments of non-Whites we find around the Western world today. 

Back