• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regent Park Murder, Army Reservists convicted in homeless man's death

CFL said:
The military is just a slice of society so your gonna get your drug abusers, rapists, hard workers, only on a smaller scale.

I emailed the T.O. Star asking them why it was necessary to put their profession in the headline when others are only mentioned in the body.

Because the Toronto Police press release made specific mention of it.

ctv just reported they were at a social function at the armories that evening, They did not say what type of social function. That cant be  good news for members of the armed forces.

I also saw the report on CityTV

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20050903-006/page.asp

Three part-time members of the Canadian Army Reserve have been charged in the beating death of a homeless man earlier this week.

Just after 4:30am Wednesday, police discovered the badly beaten 59-year-old victim Paul Richard Croutch beside the Moss Park Armoury, in the Shuter and Sherbourne Sts. area. Police say a woman saw three men assaulting him and when she tried to intervene the suspects then attacked her.

The man was rushed to St. Michael's Hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries. The results of a post-mortem examination showed Croutch died from blunt impact head trauma, consistent with being punched, kicked or stomped.

Police said the men allegedly involved in the attack are part-time members of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve who are connected to the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada.

The trio was arrested Friday and appeared in a Toronto court Saturday morning.

Jeffery Hall, 21, Mountaz Ibrahim, 23, and Brian Deganis, 21 are all charged with second-degree murder and assault causing bodily harm.

September 3, 2005

Several years ago, the 48th Highlanders were training on a weekend morning at Moss Park Armoury.  A section was outside for a fresh air break, and one Highlander spotted a homeless man being assaulted across the street.  Without hestitation, the Section Commander immediately led his troops across the street - a couple split off and gave chase, other gave first aid, another was sent back to the Armoury for blankets to cover the victim, while others controlled the scene.

When the poilce arrived to arrest the attacker, they blurted out that they were surprised the Highlanders hadn't worked him over - the reply?  "That would have been wrong."

I note also that a female witness attempted to intervene - one woman against three young men ... I salute her for trying to do the right thing.

Kat Stevens said:
On the flip side of this, where are the spin doctors?  I know it's a long weekend, and the Two Towers are deserted, but, silence speaks volumes.

People in very high places knew about this on Wednesday, possibly/probably due to NIS involvement.

And, on the topic of media coverage, it's twice as galling when you realise the Star had just published some good coverage of Ex STALWART GUARDIAN ... and now that's all forgotten.

Perhaps you noticed the Star photographs ... ?

Mod edit for inappropriate comments

Stay in the lane
!

Anyways... I just watched the City TV (Toronto) coverage....   They discuss the men beating him to death as they zoom out of some weapon in front of the armoury...   I saw it as a bit symbolic but then again I could be reading into things.

This is by no means a smear compaign but as stated before...   Where is all the positive coverage!?

:cdn:

it is a dark day  for the QOR, Moss Park and everyone else involved.  The facts were reported are all important in the story. The suspects, names, ages, and background are all news worthy, the location is important factor in the story. I am sure NIS is on the case to make sure the suspects were not on duty  or if they were on duty, what they  were doing there?
I am sure this will get more coverage and such as the court dates are made and the facts come out, or the lack of facts.
I am sure the Toronto District Commander, QOR CO and the OIC armory have had a few long chats or something about this matter. They  would be meeting if the story was of a positive nature, and be meeting more since it is not a good story coming out.
this is not something res troops are trained to do and I hope the idea that  this is a rare incident comes out and maybe some of the posiitive things the units down at the Park have done will come out too.
The CF is made up of a lot of people, uniformed and civilies, we do have some bad or near bad apples that make up the CF and that is the way it is. I hope the people realize that not every member of the QOR is involved, and I hope people realize that 3 people do not reflect an entire unit.
Would be a good time for the QOR CO and Public affairs officer arrange some sort of positive Homeless and Unit thing, get some of the troops out to help out at a local soup kitchen or something and have them show the better side of the unit. even if the media does not report it, have the homeless people realize that  they are not having to fear the troops

I am hoping something positive comes out of this

Slim said:
...Lets make sure that comments are worthwhile please.

I'd been wondering whether the three accused lived in Regent Park, or were there for other reasons.
Here's a partial update:

3 reservists face murder charges
Homeless man beaten to death in Moss Park

Hilda Hoy, staff reporter (Toronto Star) - Sep. 4, 2005. 08:17 AM

Three members of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves are facing second-degree murder and assault charges after a homeless man was beaten to death in a downtown park and a woman coming to his aid was attacked.

Paul Richard Croutch, 59, died at St. Michael's Hospital on Wednesday as his case manager stood nearby. An autopsy performed Friday found the cause of death was trauma to the head, and the injuries were consistent with being punched, kicked or stomped.

Police were called to an assault in Moss Park, near Sherbourne and Shuter Sts., shortly before 5 a.m. on Wednesday. An unconscious Croutch was rushed to hospital but died later that morning.

A woman who witnessed the beating and intervened was treated for soft-tissue damage and bruising, police said.

Croutch had been a resident of the Salvation Army's Gateway Shelter, around the corner from the park on Jarvis St., since 2002. Gateway will host a funeral next week.

He has family on the West Coast who have been notified.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
`These are very serious charges and we take it very seriously'
Capt. Mark Giles,
army spokesman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He was very mild-mannered and soft-spoken," said Gateway director Dion Oxford. "He was harmless."

Last time he saw Croutch, he was watching the Gateway softball team play in the park.

"He kept to himself most of the time," remembered Gateway chaplain Ron Farr.

Brian Deganis, 21, Jeffery Hall, 21, and Mountaz Ibrahim, 23, all of Toronto, were arrested and charged Friday after a joint investigation by Toronto police and the army's National Investigation Services.

The three men are part-time members of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, a reserve infantry unit that trains at the Moss Park Armoury adjacent to the park where Croutch was found.

Each has received at least two years of combat training, although the exact length of their service could not be confirmed. They had attended a "social function" at the armoury that evening but were not in uniform, investigation services spokesman Capt. Mark Giles said.

"Uniform or no uniform, these are very serious charges and we take it very seriously," said Giles.

Because the incident took place in the park and not on armoury property, the investigation falls under city police jurisdiction. The National Investigation Services provided support and will continue to do so as needed, Giles said.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1125784210116&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

(may require online registration with Toronto Star)

Having just come back from Stalwart Guardian this year working with these guys, one of whom was in my wpns pl, I can only say that I am shocked over the whole thing.  Totally didn't see it coming, but I guess one never does.

I am sincerely hoping that the scenario turns out to be three lads with too much alcohol in their system, and nothing more than a perceived slight and senseless act of violence, rather than a preventable event resulting from, as some have suggested, broken homes, violent histories, etc, not screened out during hiring.

In other words, I hope that if the allegations turn out to be true, then it was just a random, isolated incident which just happens to involve three young buddies who succumbed to a momentary lapse of common sense and decency, and that they just happened to all be in the same part-time job, leaving a work function.

I just can't see these guys going out of their way to beat up homeless people for no reason whatsoever.

But one thing is for sure, this is going to reflect poorly on all of us.

In Toronto, three young men, whose names and ages have been published will appear in custody
in a Toronto based Provincial Court, for arraingment related to their part in an incident which has
resulted in the application of formal charges under the Criminal Code of Canada Revised (CCCR).The
fact is, that we know little or nothing about the circumstances or details of the incident, nor will
we until the Toronto based media focus on the incident and the alleged criminal offence forming
the critical part of the incident. The most significant question is, how will the media react to this
incident? The Toronto Star will have a particular perspective; so will the Sun. Where will the Globe
go with this? The reaction of the media will be the catalyst of reaction from MND/DND - what will
it be? My opinion is that the connection of the accused with the CF has nothing whatever to do
with their participation in the alleged offence/offences; they, not the CF have ultimate responsibility
for actions they are accused of committing, resulting in a criminal prosecution. They remain however
the accused, potentially liable (liability is the critical factor in Criminal Law in Canada), and required
to answer to the law, not the Canadian Forces. MacLeod

If it should transpire these 3 are guilty, then they should be treated like any other citizen convicted of the same offence. Extra punishment just because they wear/(used to wear) the bag is just not on.

I think everybody should just cool down and see what transpires- wait for the facts to emerge which explain the situation. To be sure, there are relatively few similarities between what happened at the time of this incident and the "other incident" that occured more than 10 years ago in a foreign country. The rare similarities that do exist are hopefully not relevant.

To everyone: Many members of the QOR visit this site and are reading this thread in particular. Show some respect and some understanding- they are in shock as to what happened with their comrades and the fact that there is a temporal connection to a regimental social function. [and probably nothing more]. The QOR soldiers reading these threads may be in their own Regiment, but that regiment is a part of your army and a part of your family in arms. Get behind them and give them the support the need- they've done the same for others, and they would do it for you in a heartbeat. 

To the QOR: Keep your heads up.

Cheers.

whiskey601 said:
If it should transpire these 3 are guilty, then they should be treated like any other citizen convicted of the same offence. Extra punishment just because they wear/(used to wear) the bag is just not on.

I think everybody should just cool down and see what transpires- wait for the facts to emerge which explain the situation. To be sure, there are relatively few similarities between what happened at the time of this incident and the "other incident" that occured more than 10 years ago in a foreign country. The rare similarities that do exist are hopefully not relevant.

To everyone: Many members of the QOR visit this site and are reading this thread in particular. Show some respect and some understanding- they are in shock as to what happened with their comrades and the fact that there is a temporal connection to a regimental social function. [and probably nothing more]. The QOR soldiers reading these threads may be in their own Regiment, but that regiment is a part of your army and a part of your family in arms. Get behind them and give them the support the need- they've done the same for others, and they would do it for you in a heartbeat.  

To the QOR: Keep your heads up.

Cheers.

Eloquently put Whiskey thank you for bringing this topic back where it matters.

Everyone who thinks this reflects poorly on anyone other than the people directly responsible has failed to qualify as a rational human being.  All such people here, in the media, and in society at large need to give their collective heads a shake.

Anyone who wants to stand up and loudly proclaim that generalization based on race, gender, age, occupation etc is an admirable way to assign blame, feel free.

The"Army reservists charged in homeless man's beating death" thread has been tucked away.
The 3 men in question are now facing the legal system and we should not take any chance's on swaying that system one way or another, let the courts decide guilt or innocence.
Thank you,
Bruce

GLOBE AND MAIL
DATE:  2005.09.08
PAGE:  A18
EDITION:  Metro
DATELINE: 
WORDS:  735

Troops' party preceded man's killing in Moss Park Police defend rare delay in announcing that Paul Croutch had been beaten to death

UNNATI GANDHI About 50 people from the <Queen's> <Own> <Rifles> of Canada went out for dinner and drinks at a downtown bar on Tuesday night last week, hours before police discovered a badly beaten, unconscious homeless man near the regiment's home at Moss Park Armoury.

The reservists were playing host to a send-off for visiting troops from Germany and Britain, Major Tim Lourie said on behalf of the <Queen's> <Own> <Rifles>. Now three of the regiment's members face second-degree murder and assault charges.

"It was at a local establishment down on The Esplanade. About 50 or so members of the unit, as well as the German soldiers, went there for dinner and socializing," he said.

The Bier Markt on The Esplanade confirmed a dinner reservation for 50 people from the Canadian Armed Forces last Tuesday. The party ended at about 11 o'clock, the employee said.

"The various different groups went [in] a number of different directions. In this case, the German troops, as well as some British troops that were being hosted by 7 Toronto Regiment, were staying at the Armoury, so they would have gone back.

"But the soldiers from the Queen's Own or any of the other units wouldn't have normally gone back to the unit to stay there, they would have gone home," Major Lourie said.

He could not confirm that the three accused attended the send-off party.

At about 4:40 a.m. Wednesday, police discovered the badly bruised body of Paul Croutch, 59, in nearby Moss Park.

He was suffering what the coroner called "blunt-impact head trauma . . . consistent with being punched, kicked or stomped." Mr. Croutch was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead that morning.

On Friday night, Toronto Police and the National Investigation Services of the Canadian Armed Forces arrested three reserve members of the Moss Park Armoury.

Questions quickly arose about why a homicide on the streets of Toronto was not made public until early Saturday morning, nearly four days after the incident.

Detective Wayne Fowler, the lead homicide investigator on the case, said police released information after the three arrests.

"As soon as the arrests were made, the press release went out.

. . . Because this investigation was not in the media at the time -- the bad guys didn't know the police were investigating this murder." Mark Pugash, communications director for Toronto Police Services, said holding back news of a homicide on Toronto streets is very rare, but it is unavoidable in cases like this.

"There might be cases where investigators might be keeping an eye on someone and, in their view, that if this were to be publicized widely, it might compromise their ability to obtain the evidence they need." Mr. Pugash said the military involvement had nothing to do with the postponed announcement.

"The considerations that govern what we do are public safety, the integrity of the investigation. The fact that there might be some other institution involved is not a factor that would be taken into account." Captain Mark Giles, spokesman for the National Investigation Services of the Canadian Forces, said he is concerned about the severity of the incident.

"Any time you have, as we do here, three of our soldiers who are alleged to have been involved in such a serious situation, it's obviously not good news for us." Major Lourie said the arrests have taken a toll on those who are part of the reserves.

"These people work very, very hard. They're dedicated Canadians and to see this sort of thing happen and to be linked with it as being part of this organization, people are having a difficult time coming to grips with it," he said.

"This is one of our top units we have in the Brigade, and some might say in Canada. The <Queen's> <Own> <Rifles> have a long and drawn out prestigious history of supporting Canada." The Toronto Disaster Relief Committee, which has called on the Attorney-General of Ontario to prosecute the beating death of Mr.

Croutch as a hate crime, was scheduled to gather with the homeless, front-line workers and community partners this morning at the site of the killing at Queen Street East and Jarvis Street.

Jeffery Hall, 21, Mountaz Ibrahim, 23, and Brian Deganis, 21, are scheduled to appear for a remand hearing in court today at College Park.

This thread is offered as a service to Army.ca members, as a convenient means to monitor media coverage of the Regent Park murder.   Unfortunately, due to the tendency for overly emotional commentary, this thread will remain locked in order to avoid speculation, innuendo, rumour and misinformation.
So-called "editorial control" will rest with those media sources reporting on this story.

Looking at this from another angle, this approach is somewhat analogous to Army.ca saying "It would be inappropriate for us to comment upon a matter which is before the courts."

We ask you to please respect this difficult decision, and refrain from starting new threads, please.  Thank you.

Toronto Police Service news release, 03 Sep 05, 0003 hrs:
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/8384.pdf

640 AM Radio: http://www.640toronto.com/news/metro.cfm?cat=7428109912&rem=17302&red=80110923aPBIny&wids=410&gi=1&gm=metro.cfm
Three Military Men Charged in Murder of Homeless Man
Sep, 03 2005 - 1:00 AM
TORONTO/640 TORONTO - Three members of the Canadian Armed Forces reserves are facing charges in the beating death of a homeless man in downtown Toronto park.

Police were called to Moss Park near Shuter and Sherbourne early Wednesday where they found 59-year-old Paul Croutch unconscious and unresponsive. Police said Friday that Croutch was taken to St. Michael's Hospital and died later that day from his injuries. Police say an autopsy determined Croutch died from a blows to the head consistent with being punched, kicked or stomped.
Police say a woman who witnessed the alleged assault suffered bruising when she was attacked. Jeffery Hall, 21, Mountaz Ibrahim, 23, and Brian Deganis, 21, all of Toronto, are charged with second-degree murder and assault causing bodily harm.
- 640 Toronto 24Hour Newscentre

CITY-TV 03 Sep 05:  http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20050903-006/page.asp

Sep. 3, 2005. 08:35 AM

Army reservists charged in homeless man's beating death
Victim, 59, was found in park with fatal injuries

Female witness also attacked, police say

CANADIAN PRESS
WITH FILES FROM THESTAR.COM STAFF

Three members of the Canadian Armed Forces reserves are facing charges in the beating death of a homeless man in Toronto park.

Police were called to a downtown park early Wednesday where they found 59-year-old Paul Croutch unconscious and unresponsive.

Police said Friday that Croutch was taken to St. Michael's Hospital and died later that day from his injuries.

Police say an autopsy determined Croutch died from blows to the head consistent with being punched, kicked or stomped.

Police say a woman who witnessed the alleged assault suffered bruising when she was attacked.

Jeffery Hall, 21, Mountaz Ibrahim, 23, and Brian Deganis, 21, all of Toronto, are charged with second-degree murder and assault causing bodily harm.

All three are members of the Queen's Own Rifles, based at Moss Park Armoury at Queen S. E. and Jarvis St., police said.

City police and the Canadian Forces National Investigation Services were involved in the investigation.

The three men were scheduled to appear in a Toronto court Saturday.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1125741951070&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037&t=TS_Home

Sep. 4, 2005. 08:17 AM

3 reservists face murder charges
Homeless man beaten to death in Moss Park

Hilda Hoy, staff reporter (Toronto Star)

Three members of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves are facing second-degree murder and assault charges after a homeless man was beaten to death in a downtown park and a woman coming to his aid was attacked.

Paul Richard Croutch, 59, died at St. Michael's Hospital on Wednesday as his case manager stood nearby. An autopsy performed Friday found the cause of death was trauma to the head, and the injuries were consistent with being punched, kicked or stomped.

Police were called to an assault in Moss Park, near Sherbourne and Shuter Sts., shortly before 5 a.m. on Wednesday. An unconscious Croutch was rushed to hospital but died later that morning.

A woman who witnessed the beating and intervened was treated for soft-tissue damage and bruising, police said.

Croutch had been a resident of the Salvation Army's Gateway Shelter, around the corner from the park on Jarvis St., since 2002. Gateway will host a funeral next week.

He has family on the West Coast who have been notified.

`These are very serious charges and we take it very seriously'
Capt. Mark Giles,
army spokesman

"He was very mild-mannered and soft-spoken," said Gateway director Dion Oxford. "He was harmless."

Last time he saw Croutch, he was watching the Gateway softball team play in the park.

"He kept to himself most of the time," remembered Gateway chaplain Ron Farr.

Brian Deganis, 21, Jeffery Hall, 21, and Mountaz Ibrahim, 23, all of Toronto, were arrested and charged Friday after a joint investigation by Toronto police and the army's National Investigation Services.

The three men are part-time members of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, a reserve infantry unit that trains at the Moss Park Armoury adjacent to the park where Croutch was found.

Each has received at least two years of combat training, although the exact length of their service could not be confirmed. They had attended a "social function" at the armoury that evening but were not in uniform, investigation services spokesman Capt. Mark Giles said.

"Uniform or no uniform, these are very serious charges and we take it very seriously," said Giles.

Because the incident took place in the park and not on armoury property, the investigation falls under city police jurisdiction. The National Investigation Services provided support and will continue to do so as needed, Giles said.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1125784210116&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

(may require online registration with Toronto Star)

Toronto homeless advocates call for hate crime treatment for beating death
Last Updated Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:21:28 EDT
CBC News

Ontario's Attorney General has been asked to consider the beating death of a homeless man as a hate crime -- hate directed against those who live on the streets.

59-year-old Paul Croutch was beaten to death in a downtown Toronto park last week, and a woman who witnessed the beating was also attacked.

Michael Shapcott of the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee wrote to Attorney General Michael Bryant asking that the death be considered a hate-motivated crime, qualifying for a more severe penalty.

Three Canadian Forces reservists -- Jeffery Hall, 21, Mountaz Ibrahim, 23, and Brian Deganis, 21, all from Toronto -- were arrested Friday and charged with second-degree murder and assault causing bodily harm.

The suspects had been at a social function at a nearby armoury before the attack.

http://sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/09/05/homeless_beating20050905.html

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/09/05/homeless_beating20050905.html

Defeated by his demons, man met violent end on a Moss Park bench
By ANTHONY REINHART

Wednesday, September 7, 2005
Updated at 11:15 AM EDT

Last Tuesday night, Paul Croutch laid down his life, or what little was left of it, safe in the belief that he could handle any threats.

He bedded down on his usual bench in Toronto's Moss Park, which, to his mind, was a darn sight safer than the shelters, with their drunken bullies and bedbugs, their tuberculosis, their thieves.

When the former B.C. resident wound up dead the next day, beaten almost beyond recognition on a rough and desperate patch of the city's downtown, few would have expected police to find $300 in his pocket, right there where he'd put it.

Fewer still would have guessed he had been a newspaper publisher, minor hockey coach, homeowner and the father of a scientist before his demons defeated him.

Advertisements

And no one who was thinking straight would have anticipated where the finger would point: at three part-time reserve soldiers from the armoury next door, three young men trained to lay down their own lives to save others.

As often as death walks the tired streets around the park, "you wouldn't expect people that are charged with our protection to take this kind of action," said Don Harris, who runs the Good Neighbours' Club, a men's drop-in centre where Mr. Croutch, 59, visited daily.

For all its optimism, the centre's name suggested only irony yesterday, given what police allege to have happened after three members of the Queen's Own Rifles left the Moss Park Armoury and visited the park next door.

There, police say, a woman saw three men beating a homeless man, and they turned on her when she tried to intervene.

There, at 4:40 a.m., officers found an unconscious Mr. Croutch, suffering what the coroner would call "blunt impact head trauma . . . consistent with being punched, kicked or stomped."

And there, they pursued leads, along with the National Investigation Services of the Canadian Forces, that resulted in Jeffery Hall, 21, Mountaz Ibrahim, 23, and Brian Deganis, 21, being charged with second-degree murder and assault causing bodily harm.

In due course, a court will answer the questions. Yesterday, those closest to Mr. Croutch could only wait, wonder and remember.

"Paul wasn't always a crazy homeless person," said Marilyn Howard, his former wife of 25 years, from Dawson Creek. "He was incredibly brilliant, and that was probably a lot of his difficulty."

Difficulty quickly followed Mr. Croutch's birth, in Toronto, on Nov. 6, 1945. He was placed in a foster home with a family called Croutch, but they never adopted him.

At 12, he renamed himself Paul Richard Franklin Croutch, taking his first three names from his favourite hockey players.

When the young couple met in 1966, Mr. Croutch worked for aircraft maker McDonnell Douglas, and after they married, he started his own fabricating business.

"His mental illness was starting even then," Ms. Howard said. "His big problem was, he was always right," and too often saw the rest of the world as wrong.

The couple moved to Vancouver in 1973, then north to Dawson Creek two years later, where Mr. Croutch worked as a travelling auto-parts salesman for Ford. Twice a month, even in winter, his work took him deep into the Yukon via the Alaska Highway, a desolate but essential lifeline for northerners.

"He did lots of favours for people on the highway," Ms. Howard said, recalling how her husband would pick up a half-dozen lobsters on sale at Safeway, or a side of beef from a farmer, and deliver them to far-flung friends along his route.

Mr. Croutch left the road after their daughter, Shannon, was born in 1977. He joined the Peace River Block News as advertising manager, but when its owners cut salaries, he left. With his wife and some friends, he started a weekly, The Mirror, in 1980, and focused his coverage exclusively on good news.

The paper prospered, but Mr. Croutch's mental illness became ever more evident, both at home and in the paranoid tone of his editorials.

"The worse it got, the less he realized how much help he needed," said Ms. Howard.

And he would go on refusing help until the day before his death.

The couple divorced in 1993, and soon after, Mr. Croutch sold The Mirror and moved to Grande Prairie, Alta.

"I got reports of him just sitting in the mall [in Grande Prairie], looking like a zombie," Ms. Howard said.

She lost track of him from there, but in the late 1990s, as his daughter was earning her master's degree in plant science, Mr. Croutch made his way back to Toronto.

When he walked through the stainless steel doors of the Good Neighbours' Club in 1999, he filled out a form to become a member. In the box marked "next of kin," he wrote "none wished."

From then on, he was a fixture, albeit a quiet one, at the drop-in centre, where he showered, did his laundry and sent faxes to the social agencies that helped him.

"He was really smart, and he really felt he'd been wronged," said Gary McCrimmon, a worker at the centre, referring to Mr. Croutch's phantom fears of the RCMP, the government, whoever. "I think it consumed him and it was a large part of his downfall."

As evening fell last Tuesday, Mr. Croutch turned aside a doctor's concerns with his usual phrase: "I'll be dead in a couple days." He also refused, as usual, to sleep in a homeless shelter.

"I gave him two bottles of water and he set off for the park," Mr. McCrimmon said.

When a detective called the centre on Wednesday morning, Mr. McCrimmon answered. When told of Mr. Croutch's death, and of the bruising on his face, his first thought was that he had fallen.

"She said, 'Oh, no, no, this is a homicide,' " he said. "When I went and identified the body, I could see what she meant."

Ms. Howard, who spent yesterday taking condolences on the sidewalks of Dawson Creek and arranging a Toronto cremation by phone, said she hopes to be in court to see her ex-husband's alleged killers face justice.

"Paul's life was over, in many ways, years ago," she said. "These people who did this have got to atone for what they've done."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20050907.CROUTCH07/BNPrint/theglobeandmail/TopStories

Back