• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Refractive Surgery Conundrum

duckman777

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to start my BMQ at Borden on 21 Jan.  I had been reading up on Lasik and the various other refractive surgeries one can have with less than desirable vision.  Unfortunately I only recently learned that I could get refractive surgery being at 18 years old with a stable prescription, when I had been under the impression one must be at least 19 with a stable prescription, or so said my optometrist and others who have had the surgery. 
That fact seriously irked me as I have been waiting around to start BMQ for the better part of 8 months and could've been over and done with the procedure, but the past is past and I scheduled a consultation with Lasik MD and TLC Laser Eye Care, hoping that perhaps I could get the surgery between BMQ and DP1 if schedule permits, since LASIK takes so little time to heal. 
I returned today from my appointment with TLC, and it turns out I have less than adequate corneal tissue to have Lasik, and PRK is the only alternative.  Seriously a downer.  Not only that, but the procedure is 1000$ off if performed by January 31st, which is where my conundrum comes in.  With PRK I would be physically ineffective for up to 1 month, and would require a large number of appointments with an optometrist. 
Hopefully some CF Medical personnel and those who have had refractive surgery while in the CF can help me out, and I'd appreciate some opinions on my options.
1) Reading posts regarding the CF Medical procedures, would I be placed in a holding platoon for 6 months?  I'd rather not spend 1/6 of my contract unable to do anything meaningful.
2) Would it be less of a pain in the ass if I postponed going on BMQ and having the surgery before hand, between BMQ and DP1, or after I'm in battalion?  How accomodating are CF optometrists to meeting my needs for frequent eye checks for the first few weeks?

My advice would be to just go an get all your courses done, no need to prolong them. Yea wearing glasses can suck a bit, but it really isn't that bad. When you get into a unit than get the surgery done than since you can get the time needed to heal. Plus waiting around in a PAT Platoon kinda sucks, much better to be on courses an get to a unit ASAP.

Thats my 0.02; the choice is always yours, but just really think about it. I'm sure a medic will be here soon an will be able to fill you in with a lot more info.

Also after my surgery(LASIK) all of my eye check ups were done civvie side an the LASIK company reimburstment me for all of them. The military doesn't have optromitrists(least from what I've seen) anytime you need your eyes checked for the military you will be sent to a civvie one. Only time a CF Medical Pers checked my eyes was for the eye vision(to see what eye cat you are) an the color vision test.

I would recommend that you wait until you are completed all courses and posted to your first base.  There is no guarantee that you'll have time in between your BMQ and DP1.  Your dates can change at anytime.  If you have any complications (rare but can happen) this will delay your training even more. I believe the policy is you still need permission from your CO and the medical clinic.  Also you have to take Annual leave ( you may not have enough) for the surgery and the time off after that may be required.  Please anyone who has more up to date info let me know as I have been out of the clinics for the last 6 months.  Best of luck

I had wavefront PRK done while I was in college, I had it done on the friday and was back in school on the Wednesday.  PRK is better then Lasik anyhow especially for military life.  If a Lasik patient ever gets bumped or jarred in the eye for whatever reason and the flap come detached they are in a world of hurt.......don't have that problem with wavefront PRK.

If you got in and it sounds like a combat arms trade, but I may be wrong, your eyes aren't that bad anyway.  Wait until you have about 2 weeks off then get it done.....no need for the feeling of sand in your eye during a BMQ or DP1....you'll probably have enough of that as it is.

Back