• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

It's 5 years or from the age of 16, which ever comes first.
Myself, going on 19, will be more free to use character references of people I have known since grade 11 as I was 16 at  that time.

I spent 4 years in recruitment, the best reference letters come from individuals who are in a position of authority; the higher they are educated the better. The last thing you need is a poorly written reference letter. The letter writer should give several examples why they feel you are best suited for a military career. E.g. competed several years in organized sports; leadership role in organized sports, army cadets, scouts; and, work history. Even a simple job delivering newspapers as a kid is important because it shows you have experience in time management and accountability. You also don't have to be a jock; equipment manager is just as important because it shows you are a team player. The important thing to remember you are competing with other individuals for a job, what you don’t want as a letter stating that they have known you for many years and you’re a really good kid.

Matty Lowe said:
I spent 4 years in recruitment, the best reference letters come from individuals who are in a position of authority; the higher they are educated the better. The last thing you need is a poorly written reference letter. The letter writer should give several examples why they feel you are best suited for a military career. E.g. competed several years in organized sports; leadership role in organized sports, army cadets, scouts; and, work history. Even a simple job delivering newspapers as a kid is important because it shows you have experience in time management and accountability. You also don't have to be a jock; equipment manager is just as important because it shows you are a team player. The important thing to remember you are competing with other individuals for a job, what you don’t want as a letter stating that they have known you for many years and you’re a really good kid.

All good advice if they still had to submit reference letters.  Now they just submit the name and the contact information.
http://64.254.158.97/pdf/letter_ref_en.pdf

There nothing preventing the applicant from asking the individual to make reference to all of the above should they be contacted.

Matty Lowe said:
There nothing preventing the applicant from asking the individual to make reference to all of the above should they be contacted.

The questions asked of the reference are specific and whether or not the applicant asked the reference to make reference to all of the above should they be contacted is irrelevant. 

When I was a recruiter other ranks didn't require letters of reference, but did have to provide the names of 3 individuals on the application; however, smart applicants provided letters of references, and reference was made to these letters when interview was being written up.

Matty Lowe said:
When I was a recruiter other ranks didn't require letters of reference, but did have to provide the names of 3 individuals on the application; however, smart applicants provided letters of references, and reference was made to these letters when interview was being written up.

Yes that is what happened when we rode around in chariots. ;D

kincanucks said:
Yes that is what happened when we rode around in chariots. ;D 

Reference letters required from your centurian, blacksmith, and spear-carrier...  ;D

Hey everyone. Brand new to this site, and I just want to start off by saying thank-you for everyone posting very accurate information on various topics, whether it would be recruiting info, course questions or general information. I had most of my questions answered without even asking any questions, or even having to sign up till this point! So once again thank-you.

I signed up for infantry on August 8/08 and have since done my CFAT, and was able to qualify for officer under the CEOTP program, so I chose that route instead. I have nothing wrong with going the NCM route, just thought that the officer route fit my criteria better. So I have done my medicals, and passed my interviews for Infantry officer.

So this is now my question. I have been talking to my references today, 2 out of 3 have been contacted. Does anyone have an educated guess on when (or if) I should expect a call, or letter, one way or the other?

No one can say for certain what the timeframe is. Your reference checks have correlations with your security clearance as well as your trustworthiness as a Canadian(Refering to the GSP). Off note - It is illegal under employment law(with roots within common law) to give a bad reference for employment purposes. Just a silly fact...

It took me 2 months to complete the process, and it has taken others upwards of 7 or 8 months, and a few lucky souls who had a fly through with the recruiting process...Be patient and follow up from time to time.

Edit: Typo/Naughty Grammer: Threw-Through

Hi, I'm filling out the application now to join part time reserve, and it says here to fill in non-family references.  I don't have any....will this be a large problem?

thanks.

zysr said:
Hi, I'm filling out the application now to join part time reserve, and it says here to fill in non-family references.  I don't have any....will this be a large problem?

thanks.

What about:

- Teachers
- Coaches
- Camp counsellors
- Neighbours
- Family friends

You need people who have positive things to say about you - your work ethic, your character, etc. Surely you know at least three who can fill the bill?

zysr said:

It may be a problem...You sure you don't have anybody? Your former teachers, managers from work, family doctor?

Word of advice: whatever they ask you to provide: documents, information etc., make sure you submit them. Your application process will not move an inch unless you provide what is asked of you. I experienced that myself.

I would strongly advise NOT using your doctor as they are almost impossible to get on the phone during normal working hours when the telephone reference checks are usually made.  Teachers are also hard to contact unless you get their home number. The easiest ones are  retired family friends  / neighbours. The reference checks are usually what takes the longest time to complete after the interview.

zysr said:

thanks.

As you are filling out the form; did you bother to read the instructions.  It clearly states in the instructions, that accompany that form, whom you may, or may not, put down as a Reference.

Celticgirl said:
What about:

- Teachers
- Coaches
- Camp counsellors
- Neighbours
- Family friends

You need people who have positive things to say about you - your work ethic, your character, etc. Surely you know at least three who can fill the bill?

Thanks for the help, but I honestly can't think of ONE to fit the bill...forget three..

So not having references is going to hold me from joining the part-time reserves?

It definitely raises eyebrows when an application comes in and the person doesn't provide any references. It seems to point to one of two things:

1. Couldn't be bothered to find any (leading the CFRC to think you don't take the process and application very seriously)

2. Couldn't find three people to say anything good about you (Leading the CFRC to wonder if the CF really wants you)

Not saying either of these apply to you or not (I don't know you) but one can see how certain conclusions could be made quite easily

Don't know if this helps or gives you any ideas but, I used my:
Chiropractor
Phys.ed Teacher/Volleyball coach
Hockey Coach

For my nearly coplete application (just waiting on the transcripts) I used:

My highschool Stagecraft Teacher (and later employer)
A close friend that I've known since Jr High
The manager of my college residence, who later became my boss when I picked up a job as an RA

Your bound to have someone that will say something positive about you.

scouthern said:
Alright, what the hell is this  ;D. All you of you have three references they want me to have 5 and I've lived in this country since birth  ::)

1- What did the CFRC tell you to do ?
2- Do what they told you
3- The end

Back