• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruitment questions: Trade selections, Housing, kids & pets

estoguy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

Got some questions... found some answers in search, but looking for some more clarification.

I'm presently waiting for things to get rolling with recruitment with the new fiscal year.  This year for DEO trades I've put down pilot, infantry and ACSO (in that order).  However, I'm also interested in armour, maritime officer and artillery (in that order as well).  I've researched all of these positions and would be happy to be selected for any of them.  Since we only have 3 choices, I want to make the best use of them to facilitate my getting into the Forces. 

So, question # 1: My understanding from some reading around here is that if I get selected for pilot (I know its a long shot pipe dream, but it was all I wanted to do as a kid, and still do LOL), and if I wash out, it sounds like the washouts get steered towards ACSO, correct?  Should I maybe consider dropping ACSO as a trade selection and pick from the others?  My understanding is that the chances of being selected for either (pilot/ACSO) might be pretty slim, as from what I read, the training pipelines are very full at the moment. 

Question # 2: From what any of you know/hear, from the six occupations listed above, any ideas as to what would be the most promising ones for getting selected to sooner rather than later?  I'm certainly patient, but like anyone else, I'd prefer to wait the least amount of time.  ;)

Next...

I am a father, but my son lives with his mother in Toronto.  My son is presently 2.  My plan at the moment is to keep my home in Ontario (its a lakefront home), and try to make use of it when I'm on leave.  Most likely scenario is that I will close it up, have a friend keep an eye on it. Costs will be minimal, as I don't plan to leave any hydro on, and will only be paying mortgage and taxes.

Question #3: What are my habitation choices, generally, once I'm in the Forces?  Being a single male, what is my most economical choice?  As my son gets older, I hope I can at certain times bring him to wherever I am posted, or he might even want to live with me.  I'm guessing once that scenario comes about, living off base would likely be my best option?

Lastly

At present, I'm not a pet owner, but a friend has approached me about taking her St. Bernard.  She is a very sweet dog, and I really want to, but I'm also thinking ahead to the coming year and the hope that I'll be selected.

I know (obviously) I can't bring the dog to Basic.  But after that, what are the rules?  What I gathered from my search is that if you are living on base, pets aren't allowed. 

I also know that I could still be waiting a long time to even be selected.  I just don't want to make this kind of commitment to an animal, then have to potentially bail in a few months.  I don't think it would be fair.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Any thoughts or opinions on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

I can't answer all your questions, but I can comment on some of them (in yellow):

estoguy said:
So, question # 1: My understanding from some reading around here is that if I get selected for pilot (I know its a long shot pipe dream, but it was all I wanted to do as a kid, and still do LOL), and if I wash out, it sounds like the washouts get steered towards ACSO, correct?  Should I maybe consider dropping ACSO as a trade selection and pick from the others?  My understanding is that the chances of being selected for either (pilot/ACSO) might be pretty slim, as from what I read, the training pipelines are very full at the moment. 

If you wash out of pilot training (i.e. after you have already enrolled in the CF), the selection process for your next occupation (if the training review board recommends retention vs release) starts all over again.  You'll have an opportunity to list three new preferences.  However, if you are not selected for pilot training to begin with (which is not technically, "washing out") then they will simply look at your second choice at the recruiting centre.  In other words, at this point, if you want to be considered for ACSO if you don't get into pilot training, you should leave it as one of your choices.

Question # 2: From what any of you know/hear, from the six occupations listed above, any ideas as to what would be the most promising ones for getting selected to sooner rather than later?  I'm certainly patient, but like anyone else, I'd prefer to wait the least amount of time.  ;)

The Recruiting Centre staff are the only ones who can give you a good answer on this.

Next...

I am a father, but my son lives with his mother in Toronto.  My son is presently 2.  My plan at the moment is to keep my home in Ontario (its a lakefront home), and try to make use of it when I'm on leave.  Most likely scenario is that I will close it up, have a friend keep an eye on it. Costs will be minimal, as I don't plan to leave any hydro on, and will only be paying mortgage and taxes.

From my own experience, this can be difficult (but not impossible).  Your insurance company may not like this arrangement and will charge you accordingly.  You need to talk to them about it.  You may want to consider renting it out (which brings up a host of other issues, but it's nice to have someone else pay your mortgage). 

Keep in mind that accommodation in the CF is not free.  Whether you live off base (i.e. on the economy), in single quarters or married quarters, you will have to pay for something and it's not necessarily cheap (married quarters are at market rate and if you live in single quarters, you will also have to pay for rations).  You should expect to have to pay at least $500 per month for accommodations (and that's a conservative, best-case scenario estimate - barring shacking up with a rich girlfriend  ;D).  Before somebody pipes in to say that you don't have to pay for rations and quarters if you have a place elsewhere, that's not entirely true.  You have to maintain a "residence" elsewhere.  If you're single without dependants (and a child living with his/her mother, who is not normally resident with you - regardless of legal custody status - doesn't count), the only thing you might possibly get provided for free is a bed in single quarters, but you would still have to pay for rations (which is the bulk of the cost anyway).

Question #3: What are my habitation choices, generally, once I'm in the Forces?  Being a single male, what is my most economical choice?  As my son gets older, I hope I can at certain times bring him to wherever I am posted, or he might even want to live with me.  I'm guessing once that scenario comes about, living off base would likely be my best option?

During training, you will likely be living in single quarters (BMOQ will be barracks).  Once you've finished training, living off base will be an option as well. There are pros and cons.  Single quarters means paying for both rations and quarters in most cases, which many people find expensive.  Most people can buy their own groceries for significantly less than you would pay for rations, but then you also have to cook it yourself.  However, you also get to choose what and when you eat (dining in the mess is only available at certain times and there are generally no rebates for missing meals).  On some bases, it is possible for single members to rent married quarters and in some cases, several single guys will rent one married quarter and split the rent.  Living in a married quarter is the same as living on the economy (i.e. you buy your own groceries), but the house is usually located on base.  Having your son visit you in single quarters is not impossible, depending on the base (e.g. if you have a single room and it's big enough, things can sometimes be worked out), but it really depends on where you're living at the time.  Some bases also have houses (guest cottages) available for short term rent for this type of thing.  If your son comes to live with you permanently, single quarters are not an option.  On bases where single members are not allowed to rent married quarters, members who share physical custody of their children may be allowed to rent a married quarter based on that.

Lastly

At present, I'm not a pet owner, but a friend has approached me about taking her St. Bernard.  She is a very sweet dog, and I really want to, but I'm also thinking ahead to the coming year and the hope that I'll be selected.

While on BMOQ, you cannot in any way conceivable look after a pet.  Somebody will have to do it for you.

I know (obviously) I can't bring the dog to Basic.  But after that, what are the rules?  What I gathered from my search is that if you are living on base, pets aren't allowed. 

You cannot have a pet in single quarters, but you are generally allowed pets in married quarters.  However, you will be responsible for any damage they cause.

I also know that I could still be waiting a long time to even be selected.  I just don't want to make this kind of commitment to an animal, then have to potentially bail in a few months.  I don't think it would be fair.

If you are in an occupation where you are away a lot (i.e.  anything beyond a 9 to 5 position), then owning a pet will be very difficult without a plan to look after it while you're gone.  All of the occupation choices you have mentioned entail regular absences from home ranging from two days to six months at  a time.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Any thoughts or opinions on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Back