• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruitment Questions - Am I wasting my time?

pizzathahut

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello Everybody!
This is my 1st post here but have been a lurker for some time.

I am submitting my Forces application this coming Monday (June 23, 08) but do have some reservations with the enlistment process which I will explain below and hope if someone from the Recruiting Dept can answer some of my concerns ever this weekend.

I have been to my local Recruiting office and asked these same question but with less detail and would like to ask them here in more detail anonymously. I'll start with the problems I am going to encounter and follow up with my questions.

1st some of my background.
I grew up in Cadets. 4 years Navy League where I attained the rank of Petty Officer 1st Class. I then went into Air Cadets for a duration of 2 years which I spent 2 summers in Cadet camp on the Trenton Air Force Base. So I do have a basic understanding of what to expect, our rich Military history, troop comradery ect ect ect. I've also been hung out at the Naval Base in Victory BC with buddies in the forces for beers. My enlisting in the forces appears to be the natural progression of things as I am well aware of military life.

Now my problems lay in that when I was 19 years old, (37 now - still healthy, can pass the min req on the CFAT) i was involved in a bar fight which I received an Assault Charge with a suspended sentence. The Recruiter I spoke with in person indicated it should *not* be a problem since it was so long ago and not criminal but he couldn't give me a definite yes or no on the matter... Can anyone from Recruiting provide more info on this if you are reading this? I am in the process of requesting a Pardon for it but that will take some time, and effort. The charge has never posed a problem for me in civy life and am only requesting a pardon now due to my intent to enlist. I don't want it following my through my potential Military career.

Next problem, I went through a Divorce 2 years ago. It was a very difficult time for me both emotioanlly and financially. She had the condo, cars, credit, bank account. I was basically left on the street without so much as a bank card. I'm summarizing but thats the gist of the situation. Now (skipping a lot of the details), due to the stress and multiple days off I had to take from work, I ended up loosing my job at that time. I went from job to job but it was rather difficult to get time off for court when you just started a new job last week. The cycle persisted for over a year. A residual effect/result of this was a financial hardship and now destroyed credit rating with my need to claim bankruptcy.
Q - How difficult is it to be enlisted while in this type of financial situation?
My bankruptcy is in process. Again, the Recruiter indicating it may not be a problem but could not provide a yes or no answer.

What I hope to achieve with my application is score well enough on the CFAT, hope the Military takes into consideration my Cadet past where I was an Officer and take into consideration the actions I am now taking to resolve my matters so I can be successful with my Forces Application. I hope to really sell myself as an asset to the military and dismiss any bouts the Interviewing Officer has with me.

Also to note, I have many professional references. Famous actors, news radio online personalities and I am also a College Graduate where I have been employed as a computer programmer since 2000.

Q- what types of references are best? Engineers, people in the military? Famous people?
Q- if you were in my situation, with the internal knowledge you have, how would you proceed in the hopes of being accepted?
I need to convey that yes, I have had some difficult times recently but am taking action to resolve them and hope it can be overlooked.
I need to convey that I am a professional in my field and when I give a commitment I follow through.

Additional info:
Since I am a computer programmer I have LCIS listed 1st but really want Infantry Soldier NCO which I have listed 2nd. Mech area 3rd.

1 - Its never a waste of time to inquire about a possible career.

2 - As long as you dont have a plethoria of collections agencies crawling out of the woodwork you should be good to go. I have an extreme amount of debt but I dont have anything owing to collections and they let me in. I'd ask the local CFRC about claiming bankruptcy first...remember it costs a pretty penny to claim bankruptcy now, I think around $2000. If the military will overlook current financial issues get in then after a few courses claim bankruptcy.

3 - The only real criminal records they worry about are drugs and anything that has yet to hit the court system (traffic tickets, shop lifting, assault, etc). They'll have you do a record check anyways. Your best bet is to hit the local RCMP office and start to get a pardon. Keep an eye on each step and when you got it all together, write a letter to the pardons board about your future goals with the military and that the record has caused alot of issues with past jobs as well as current enrollment. It will get pushed through. Im talking from experience.

To be honest, if you have a background in something you enjoy, take that as a job. You'll find out alot of jobs cross paths and LCIStech is a great choice plus you'll be in the field a bit to boot. Let the young folk take infantry ;)

Hi RTaylor! Thanks for the feedback. It really helped, feeling much better about heading in on Monday.
Still have some worries on the CFAT. Did the home exercises and got only 2 wrong (due to speeding through it), but from what I've read on here, the actual test is more difficult and the home exercises misleading. But thats dissident ramblings, I hear only good stuff from those that passed. :D

Again, thanks for the feedback. I'll have a better weekend now.
:D

As for the criminal record thing...as long as you are not on parole, probation or have upcoming ties to the judicial system then you are good to go. But expect a 6 month wait on the record check(mine took roughly 4 months)
As for credit...as long as you are doing something about paying back debt then you are golden. I don't know how they look upon bankruptcy but its prob better see a credit counseller to get options if bankruptcy will ruin your application to the forces. I've had things owing to collections and all I had to do was either pay it all off or show the CFRC that I was paying monthly on my debt.
Don't sweat it yet until you have everything you need for your application and start your enrollment process.

Cheers

pizzathahut ,

Bankruptcy will affect your application as it is considered an obligation to the judicial system. (You are responsible to the court for 9 months until your bankruptcy is discharged.) After your discharge, you are good to go.

(So I was told when I went to apply a few years ago) Maybe it is different now.

Yeah, I'd definitely wait on the bantruptcy bit as the Forces will overlook quite a bit to get people in. Mainly it's a slew of collections agencies that are drooling to get your into court and as previously mentioned, Im pretty sure filing for bankruptcy will hold you back as you have to be around to deal with it. Hold off on that definitely.

To be 100% honest, apply now and don't hold back. Start the process rolling, and be honest on the application. I'd certainly recommend applying for a pardon as it'll clear up alot of issues now and in the future, also it can prevent you from moving forward in the Forces (I've seen it happen with family and 2 friends). Waiting on the security clearance can take up to 6-9months, getting the pardon process started can take a LOT less time if your willing to keep up on it and inquire about it constantly to keep it rolling.

pizzathahut,
Make sure you let the recruiting staff know about your bankruptcy or the potential of it. More importantly take copies of your college diploma and a resume to show your experience in the electronics  / computer field. You may qualify for a partial training bypass and "once upon a time" there were recruiting allowances (RA) for qualified techs in some trades, LCIS was one. You will have to check with the staff when you drop off your source documents, it was 10k at one time. That may help with  your financial challenges so ask. What CFRC are you going to?

Best of Luck. 

Hello,

To give you an idea, I am now merit listed (after 4 months). I have a criminal record and a bankruptcy. You can definitely join. You can also apply for a Pardon while being in the force ...

I wouldn't worry too much about the charge.  I was charged with assault before I joined and all it did was hold up my application for a few months.  As for references put someone who knows you well.  Nobody cares if you use a "famous" person or a person who digs ditches all day.  They are looking for info about you and not the reference giver.  Don't know if it's changed in the last two years but my references were never even called.......

And on a side note.  I don't know if you just wrote it wrong or what.  But for you're aspirations of being an infantry NCO.....I'd worry about being a good NCM first  :)

Unless it has changed since I left recruiting two years ago, a bankruptcy has to be fully discharged(with letter from lawyer) before being enrolled.  A bankruptcy is a legal obligation(stated earlier) that needs to be over before enrollment

for your references, if not already submitted - I suggest people who know you and who you feel can give the military a good sense of who you are. Old employers, family friends, teachers, anyone you feel can represent you to the forces in a positive light.

Cat said:
for your references, if not already submitted - I suggest people who know you and who you feel can give the military a good sense of who you are. Old employers, family friends, teachers, anyone you feel can represent you to the forces in a positive light.

PS.  No family members including step parents or guardians.  For instance my list was two previous employers whom worshipped the ground I trod because of all the landscaping I did for them.  And my mom's best friend who I'm known since birth and have looked after her since she's, you know, getting old.

Cheers, Kyle

Back