• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

I know so many people who gave up attempting to join due to how poor it is. I know I joined in spite of our recruiting process, not because of it.
I honestly say a lot of it getting bogged down with administrative processes that can be done faster and easier elsewhere.

I'm sure a competent medical authority can complete a CEMS assessment. I'm certain there isn't anything covered on BMQ nowadays that would be a risk with someone awaiting an Enhance Reliability screening. I also think CFRG/DGMC/DMCA have forgotten that we have release authorities to get rid of people who aren't up to snuff. Those are a lot easier to administer pre-OFP than anywhere else in the CAF.

What's happening now is restricting the flow of all candidates at the risk there may be an unsuitable one...

Two thoughts:

1. I’ve seen a few FB Reels from 5 Div and other units about “typical day in the life” stuff. Not sure if they’re in other platforms but those would be easy to replicate on TikTok, Insta, etc. I know that the younger generation isn’t really on FB anymore.

2. Re: recruiting process, the Australian Defence Force outsourced their recruiting a few years ago to a civilian company. It was so bad that the contract went to another civilian company. So, outsourcing it outside the military is not necessarily a better idea.

I honestly say a lot of it getting bogged down with administrative processes that can be done faster and easier elsewhere.

I'm sure a competent medical authority can complete a CEMS assessment. I'm certain there isn't anything covered on BMQ nowadays that would be a risk with someone awaiting an Enhance Reliability screening. I also think CFRG/DGMC/DMCA have forgotten that we have release authorities to get rid of people who aren't up to snuff. Those are a lot easier to administer pre-OFP than anywhere else in the CAF.

What's happening now is restricting the flow of all candidates at the risk there may be an unsuitable one...
Yes and no. I saw a young girl being declared fit with an Handicapped right arm. She was not able to stretch it completely and a young boy coming in with an heart defect. Yes they can but they have to be train/coach.

Isn’t TikTok a Chinese spyware app that also happens to allow you to post dance videos?😉
Hey, I didn’t say it was a good idea, just a way to reach the younger generation.

The US military bans it on govt devices, yet (apparently - I don’t have it) puts their ads and videos on it. I’m not sure how they do it.

^^
And if they do flood the recruiting center, the Byzantine enrolment process will sap any excitement the kid once had.

It's the new enrolment process that is hanging things up... the old way had me enrolled and within 5 weeks starting basic training.

I'm guessing that alarming headlines like this, if they see them, don't give many potential recruits confidence in seeking out a CAF career ....

We don't need thoughts and prayers, we need funding, procurement processes cut back to the basics to actually streamline things (plus invoking cabinet authority to fast track steps when appropriate).

PLD to CFHD will kill us for a $30M funding gap. Not sure either where we have a 10% personnel gap, when the RCN can't sail more then half the fleet because we don't have crews, and some trades are below 50% at different qual levels. getting 1000 untrained S3s doesn't make a difference (especially when we don't have instructors/facilities to run existing courses, let alone surge).

One of our DC schools caught on fire on Xmas day last year, which I thought was a pretty fitting metaphor for the RCN.

We don't need thoughts and prayers, we need funding, procurement processes cut back to the basics to actually streamline things (plus invoking cabinet authority to fast track steps when appropriate).

PLD to CFHD will kill us for a $30M funding gap. Not sure either where we have a 10% personnel gap, when the RCN can't sail more then half the fleet because we don't have crews, and some trades are below 50% at different qual levels. getting 1000 untrained S3s doesn't make a difference (especially when we don't have instructors/facilities to run existing courses, let alone surge).

One of our DC schools caught on fire on Xmas day last year, which I thought was a pretty fitting metaphor for the RCN.

There is an article in the Ottawa Citizen than can't be posted here about an Officer threatening to execute their sailors and another one getting into an altercation at some sort of reception too. Nothing proven just complaints lodged at this point.

That should help retention and recruiting.

There is an article in the Ottawa Citizen than can't be posted here about an Officer threatening to execute their sailors and another one getting into an altercation at some sort of reception too. Nothing proven just complaints lodged at this point.

I saw that, well done Asterix officers. Which is a bit weird, as I figure they would vet the ones posted there pretty closely as they have a lot less oversight and are working with civilians daily, so should be more of a high profile position for high flyers. Guessing it's probably not though, and likely looked as a step back for NWOs because they aren't 'doing operations' or something stupid on our rusted out "war"ships.

Well, to be fair, there is a precedent in the Navy for that ;)

angry captain hook GIF

I saw that, well done Asterix officers. Which is a bit weird, as I figure they would vet the ones posted there pretty closely as they have a lot less oversight and are working with civilians daily, so should be more of a high profile position for high flyers. Guessing it's probably not though, and likely looked as a step back for NWOs because they aren't 'doing operations' or something stupid on our rusted out "war"ships.
I suspect, if anything, it's more a case of struggling to get NWOs that can/will sail, than it is a case of putting bad ones there intentionally.

Could also be a "good" one who thought the sailors were ruining their chances to advance with poor performance... Would be the first time a "streamer" walked on subordinates to look good.

I suspect, if anything, it's more a case of struggling to get NWOs that can/will sail, than it is a case of putting bad ones there intentionally.

Could also be a "good" one who thought the sailors were ruining their chances to advance with poor performance... Would be the first time a "streamer" walked on subordinates to look good.
That's why I'm a big fan of the 360 feedback; some of the worst COs ever got there by treating their subordinates terribly as jr officers, and slowly went from having sections to the department hating them as they went through different positions.

It's too late to course correct in some positions, but if you get it early as a SLt, and there is the occasional example of a Lt or LCdr getting their teeth kicked in for that approach that will dissuade it better then any DLN course or whatever they are doing now to 'instill leadership'. Some people need a positive example, others needs a negative example of what not to do, while a special few are destined to be an object lesson if you FAFO.

Alright two things Pete:

1. Being CO of NRU Asterix is definitely NOT seen as a step backwards in the NWO community. It's effectively a pre-XO mini command tour, and they definitely do not post plugs there. Asterix is used EXTENSIVELY by our allies for fueling, and by GAC for flag waving ceremonies, and the CO plays a huge roll in all of that.

2. This. Did. Not. Happen.

T

Alright two things Pete:

1. Being CO of NRU Asterix is definitely NOT seen as a step backwards in the NWO community. It's effectively a pre-XO mini command tour, and they definitely do not post plugs there. Asterix is used EXTENSIVELY by our allies for fueling, and by GAC for flag waving ceremonies, and the CO plays a huge roll in all of that.

That being said, THIS meme is hilarious; it's what we call a 2nd order meme (a meme that requires knowledge of another meme to be funny):

Screenshot_20231106_193407_Instagram.jpg

Alright two things Pete:

1. Schools used to be a high profile posting for streamers. Now a lot of people don't want to go to schools because they are a gong show, so they don't get the best and brightest volunteering. And you can still be a dumb ass while being groomed for command. See: multiple horrible human beings that have made CO.

2. Were you there?

I have no real dog in this fight either way, and don't think I know anyone involved, but it's not like no one has ever said they should have someone shot. Big difference though between venting to peers in the mess though and using obvious hyperbole and giving someone a blast while they are lined up in formation.

So either the RCN is over reacting to nothing (definitely possible, but doesn't instill faith in the institution), or acting reasonably on a serious complaint. People make mistakes, people get frustrated, things are said, but if someone did gather everyone in a group to yell at them probably not just an isolated incident either. That shit was dumb in basic 20 years ago, and volume isn't a leadership trait. Plus praise in public, criticise in private and all that for performance issues.

Back