• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

This is very Army centric. The RCN and RCAF have everyday tasks to complete with highly complex and expensive machinery. We need full time people and a bank of reserves to augment them.

Sure, sounds very Army. But it has no value for RCN and I would wager the same for the RCAF folks.

Why does the combat arms constantly want to inflict its misery on everyone else ?

The RCN is doing this now from HFX and ESQ.

Again very Army centric. The CAF is more than the Army.
This goes to my point that a one size fits all system for the Reserves does not make sense. There is a fundamental difference between the Army Reserves and the Navy/Airforce Reserves.

If a war kicks off there will not suddenly be another dozen ships added to the fleet or several additional squadrons of fighters appearing that need to be manned. For the Army however, the expectation is that if a war kicks off the Army will use Reservists to expand the number of Battalions/Brigades/Divisions we are able to field. That's a very fundamental difference between the Elements and strongly suggests that the way we treat the Reserves of each Element very differently.

This goes to my point that a one size fits all system for the Reserves does not make sense. There is a fundamental difference between the Army Reserves and the Navy/Airforce Reserves.

If a war kicks off there will not suddenly be another dozen ships added to the fleet or several additional squadrons of fighters appearing that need to be manned. For the Army however, the expectation is that if a war kicks off the Army will use Reservists to expand the number of Battalions/Brigades/Divisions we are able to field. That's a very fundamental difference between the Elements and strongly suggests that the way we treat the Reserves of each Element very differently.

In the Army, like cannon fodder? It shows ;)

Honestly Army equipment doesn’t grow on trees either.
Expanding the Army like you mentioned won’t do much more than exactly what @daftandbarmy pointed out.
It’s working so well for Russia now, and they have a great deal of depth of (albeit older and questionable) equipment

I would consider rejoining the CAF as a Reservist but the CAF would need to make the conditions more amenable for me to consider it.

1. I'm not screwing around with PLAR assessments and quals. I'd be willing to do a reorientation/familiarization but I'm not going back to the School house to redo DP 1. Whatever, it's not worth it.

2. I need to be reinstated at my previous rank. I'm not taking a pay cut to work for you again, especially when my current job pays me way more per hour than you do.

3. I'm not waiting around for you to get around to enrolling me. If it takes six+ months, forget it. My time is valuable, don't screw with it.

4. I want my VAC benefits I earned from my Reg Force service still. That 80k+ for education is mine and if it's off the table because I join the Reserves, forget it. You clearly don't care about my experience or knowledge if that's the case.

I would consider rejoining the CAF as a Reservist but the CAF would need to make the conditions more amenable for me to consider it.

1. I'm not screwing around with PLAR assessments and quals. I'd be willing to do a reorientation/familiarization but I'm not going back to the School house to redo DP 1. Whatever, it's not worth it.

2. I need to be reinstated at my previous rank. I'm not taking a pay cut to work for you again, especially when my current job pays me way more per hour than you do.

3. I'm not waiting around for you to get around to enrolling me. If it takes six+ months, forget it. My time is valuable, don't screw with it.

4. I want my VAC benefits I earned from my Reg Force service still. That 80k+ for education is mine and if it's off the table because I join the Reserves, forget it. You clearly don't care about my experience or knowledge if that's the case.
You’re (would be) asking for more than the CAF can give…

Edit to add how it would likely go down…

To paraphrase Xerxes:
1665669427682.gif
“You may rejoin the CAF, if you will but kneel before us..and accept a lower rank, and lower pay, and apologize to us for leaving, and…..”

Your fourth point is one that I hear quite a lot from people I know that are releasing/released from the Regular Force. They would have loved to join the Reserves but once they found out they would not get the benefits they said no. The Reserves are losing out on a lot of experience because of this.

Honestly Army equipment doesn’t grow on trees either.
Expanding the Army like you mentioned won’t do much more than exactly what @daftandbarmy pointed out.
It’s working so well for Russia now, and they have a great deal of depth of (albeit older and questionable) equipment
I'm suggesting that the idea is for the Army to be able to expand in case of war. I'm not suggesting that the CAF has actually done anything to make that a realistic possibility to date. On the other hand I don't believe I've ever heard any suggestion that either the RCAF or RCN will expand in case of war.

I'm suggesting that the idea is for the Army to be able to expand in case of war. I'm not suggesting that the CAF has actually done anything to make that a realistic possibility to date. On the other hand I don't believe I've ever heard any suggestion that either the RCAF or RCN will expand in case of war.
The idea is a pipedream, solely IMHO populated by Reserve CO’s and GO/FO’s who dream of a real command.

I suspect the RCN and RCAF know they would need to expand - but know they will have time due to the lack of equipment (albeit it seems the RCN may be able to double and just about crew all their ships)

Sup Res members are eligible for the VAC program. Sup Res members can be attached to P Res units.

It's not rocket surgery, but alas seems largely impossible due to CAF bureaucratic inertia.

(albeit it seems the RCN may be able to double and just about crew all their ships)

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Your fourth point is one that I hear quite a lot from people I know that are releasing/released from the Regular Force. They would have loved to join the Reserves but once they found out they would not get the benefits they said no. The Reserves are losing out on a lot of experience because of this.
I know dozens of my friends that have left the Reg Force over the past few years. CA, CANSOF, RCN, RCAF, etc. Not one of them is currently enrolled as a Reservist.

It doesn't make sense for us to become Reservists. My pal who is a former CANSOF Operator, was just in Africa volunteering with wildlife rangers as part of a project he put together while pursuing his MBA.

You think he wouldn't volunteer some of his time to CAF as a reservist if he wouldn't lose out on education? It's doesn't make sense.

I thought the entire purpose of a Reserve was to be able to maintain a body of civilians who can be called upon in times of war?

How the hell does it make sense for the Reserves to not be able to use Civilians with the MOST military experience?

I know dozens of my friends that have left the Reg Force over the past few years. CA, CANSOF, RCN, RCAF, etc. Not one of them is currently enrolled as a Reservist.

It doesn't make sense for us to become Reservists. My pal who is a former CANSOF Operator, was just in Africa volunteering with wildlife rangers as part of a project he put together while pursuing his MBA.

You think he wouldn't volunteer some of his time to CAF as a reservist if he wouldn't lose out on education? It's doesn't make sense.

I thought the entire purpose of a Reserve was to be able to maintain a body of civilians who can be called upon in times of war?

How the hell does it make sense for the Reserves to not be able to use Civilians with the MOST military experience?
Admiral Topshee mentioned that education benefit yesterday. There seems to be some movement to allow access to the benefit and enroll in the reserves,

Admiral Topshee mentioned that education benefit yesterday. There seems to be some movement to allow access to the benefit and enroll in the reserves,
I have seen dozens, if not hundreds of highly trained people bypass or leave Reserve service because of that stupid VAC education benefit policy. We need to fix that, fast.

You’re (would be) asking for more than the CAF can give…

Edit to add how it would likely go down…

To paraphrase Xerxes:
View attachment 74212
“You may rejoin the CAF, if you will but kneel before us..and accept a lower rank, and lower pay, and apologize to us for leaving, and…..”
Which is funny because the actual training is of a lower quality, less comprehensive and has less money put into it than when I first joined 😄

I have seen dozens, if not hundreds of highly trained people bypass or leave Reserve service because of that stupid VAC education benefit policy. We need to fix that, fast.
It's crazy and I'll be honest, if they amended the policy I would probably walk down to the Local Armoury or Stone Frigate and re-enroll as a Class A Reservist tomorrow.

I can't promise I would be able to make every parade night or weekend because I don't have a job that's conducive to that but I would show up when I was available and I would pitch in where I could.

I also work for a Company that supports the Military, has a lot of ex-service members and who are employees (including the senior leadership of the company) and is willing to let employees take leaves of absence for Military Service. They did so for the recent Op LENTUS deployments in BC.

I'm assuming that that would also allow reservists who qualify to continue to serve in the reserves? the whole "we can't afford to give you the $8000 we promised you, but if you leave we will give you $40,000 or whatever it is"" doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm assuming that that would also allow reservists who qualify to continue to serve in the reserves? the whole "we can't afford to give you the $8000 we promised you, but if you leave we will give you $40,000 or whatever it is"" doesn't make a lot of sense.

Huh ?

Back