• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re: Navy ties up its fleet

geo said:
Again... the cash crunch must have been building up for a long time
is this an issue where the fleet had overlooked the dwindling $$$ resources or something like DND not responding to CF/ Fleet requests for extra cash?

Going to the press is, regardless, hanging out your dirty laundry for all to see AND, someone is going to pay in the end...

Look out/look out!

Well as Mich pointed out this is something that has been planned for some time so what do you think??
Let's just say that other priorities are driving the agenda and they aren't the Navy's.
The Press are asking us about this stuff and then drawing conclusions. There are individuals who have been in the same briefings that I've been in who are not shy about calling the Press.
It's not right but whatcha gonna do??

airmich said:
And not only asked us to come out and play, but planned for us to play.  
...and from where I'm sitting, overlooking the Halifax Naval Yard, there are several German and US Navy ships already here.

From the news article cited,
Defence analyst Steve Staples suggested the navy may be playing politics to get more money in the next budget. "I think they're playing a dangerous game by trying to embarrass the government," said Staples, with the Ottawa-based Rideau Institute.
Staples, and his "expertise," is usually associated with The Polaris Institute. Any idea who/what the Rideau Institute is?

Googling "Rideau Institute," I get only press soundbites that Staples is still merely recycling his same opinions with this "Rideau" group,
...which apparently lost its charity status in 20011 and was dissolved by Corporations Canada for failing to file requisite documents in 20052

Never heard of them.

-------------------------
1. Canada Customs & Revenue Agency, Revocation of Registration of Charities. http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2001/20010804/html/commis-e.html
2. Corporations Canada, Notice of Decision to Dissolve (CCA) - List 2. http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/cd-dgc.nsf/en/cs02804e.html

These are things that just came out of the blue but would have been budgeted for a year or so ago.  The fact that they are out of money, IMO, warrants an intense audit of funds to find out where the money that would have been allotted to these deployments has gone.  DND needs to determine if mismanagement or bad budgeting is responsible and hold those whose job it is to oversee these funds responsible.

Journeyman said:
...and from where I'm sitting, overlooking the Halifax Naval Yard, there are several German and US Navy ships already here.

there's only one of each tied up there.

trigger324 said:

Several (sev·er·al) – adjective 1. being more than one, but fewer than many, in number or kind -- as in, "There were several ships already here, one German and one American." Had I been writing an intelligence report for the motherland, I would have been more precise, in both grammar and detail.

But thanks for playing along.  ::)

Journeyman said:

Several (sev·er·al) – adjective 1. being more than one, but fewer than many, in number or kind -- as in, "There were several ships already here, one German and one American." Had I been writing an intelligence report for the motherland, I would have been more precise, in both grammar and detail.

But thanks for playing along.  ::)

that's what i was thinking  ::)

No need to be ignorant trigger your point was made and all it is is semantics....

Okay folks, dig deep in your pockets, we need more....

R 291651Z JAN 07
FM NAVRESHQ QUEBEC
TO NAVRESGEN
ZEN/FDU SHEARWATER
BT
UNCLAS NAVRESGEN 003/07 N13 00526
SIC TAA
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
SUBJ: NAVRES DIRECTION FOR FINANCIAL PRESSURES - SUPPLEMENTAL
REF: A. NAVRESGEN 002/07
B. MTG NAVRESHQ 2ND BUDGET REVIEW 23 JAN 07
1. VMT TO ALL NRDS FOR YOUR EFFORTS TO DATE WRT THIS DIFFICULT
ISSUE. UNFORTUNATELY MORE REDUCTIONS ARE STILL NECESSARY. CMS INITIAL
DIRECTIVE ON BUDGET REDUCTIONS INDICATED THAT THERE COULD BE CUTS TO
SEA DAYS FOR FORCE GENERATION WHICH HAS ALREADY HAPPENED ON THE EAST
COAST. IOT NOT DISADVANTAGE ONE REGION OVER ANOTHER AND TO REDUCE THE
FINANCIAL PRESSURES ON THE FORMATION, THE WEST COAST AT SEA NRD
DEPLOYMENTS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED
2. NAVRES CURRENT GOAL WILL BE TO CONTINUE TO PROVIDE TRAINING IN AN
EQUITABLE FASHION FOR ALL MOS AND REGIONS, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT
PAGE 2 RCESCGA0018 UNCLAS NAVRESGEN 003/07
POSSIBLE
3. NAVRES WILL MAINTAIN PS, NCAGS, PD, DIVEXES, AND DEFER TO APR 07
THE FOLLOWING NROTS ACTIVITIES: NABS (SRL NBS 0715/0725/0730),
COMMAND DEVELOPMENT FOR COMMAND EXAM PREP (SRL CDX 0701)
4. AS DISCUSSED AT REF B, ALL UNITS WITHIN THE FORMATION ARE
ENCOURAGED TO WORK WITHIN THEIR BUDGETS AND RETURN ANY FURTHER
OVERAGES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I WOULD ASK THAT YOU CONTINUE TO
COOPERATE WITH THE NAVRESHQ COMPTROLLER AS THEY WORK THROUGH THIS
DIFFICULT ISSUE
END OF ENGLISH TEXT/

Back