• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re: Navy ties up its fleet

schart28

Inactive
Reaction score
CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2007/01/17/navy-tieup.html

HMCS Halifax should be on a sovereignty patrol off the East Coast, but the ship is tied up because the Canadian navy doesn't have the money to send it on the 35-day mission.

"The reason HMCS Halifax's patrol is delayed is because we have started a financial review," Lieut. Marie-Claude Gagné, a navy spokeswoman, told CBC News.

All but two ships on the East and West Coasts are tied up. HMCS Ottawa is in the Persian Gulf, and Gagné said HMCS Charlottetown is out performing sea trials.

"If you're asking who else is out on the Atlantic coast, the answer is no one," she said.

Senator Colin Kenny wonders why Canada has a navy if there's no money for the ships to patrol the coast.

"It's not a good thing to run out of money," said Kenny, chair of the Senate's security and defence committee. "I think it's because of the extra costs with oil and the demands of Afghanistan."

The Defence Department will spend almost $1.5 billion on the mission in Afghanistan this fiscal year. But at the same time, the money the navy has to send ships to sea has been cut by about 10 per cent.

"It's obvious they don't have money for fuel or personnel," said Nova Scotia MP Peter Stoffer.

Stoffer called it "very disappointing" that the navy ships are tied up, and said Canadians should be alarmed.

"Not having these ships patrol leaves a big hole in our security," he said. "You can have illegal immigrants, drug traffickers, people who want to do us harm or harm our neighbours.

"The Americans have consistently accused Canada of having leaky security measures, and this will just prove to them that we are not even patrolling our own coasts for security measures."

Sources tell CBC News that the navy's financial woes will continue until the end of March, and that all patrols will be cancelled until then.

I wonder how many politicians will cut 10% from their budgets or pet projects to help deal with this issue!

This is probally an on going issue and will probally not stop at the next fiscal year. There are 3 280's awaiting some much needed Drydock time. The Halifax class is going to be needing the mid life upgrades in 3 years, and what is going to stop the AOR's from rotting away. I feel that the sub program that now got a mitten full of cash, is one of the places they need to look at. We can't afford to keep throwing money into the open hulls of the Victoria and Cornerbrook. We need to look at a fleet point of view of what it takes to keep the important ships in tip top shape. We need frigates more than subs. We have destroyers that are flagships for NATO that need money. Without patrol ships we are always going to rely on our nearby cousin (BRITTS) or the neighbour down south(US) to pull us out of the S*** if it does hit the fan. We already are known for this, why continue to be a part of this revolving door story. Get our acts together and stop wasting money.

Interesting, I could have sworn that we had 5 ships out on the west coast last night....

This does stink, but hey if you are on a ship, enjoy it because you never know when the tempo could go through the roof again.

Hmmm... now that the media has sunk it's teeth into this story, I figure that someone will either say
1 - the army & airforce need all the cash to go ahead with missions and new capital acquisitions & the navy will have to wait it's turn

OR

2 - just going thru a 3rd quarter review & the entire fleet will sail out in short order to prove the press wrong

Hmmm.... decisions, decisions

All the more reason to keep the subs; they have electric motors :p

Personally I'm finding this rather discouraging as I'm right in the process of joining the navy at the moment and would prefer not to spend my career wondering whether or not there will be any money to do anything more than paint the hull.

Boater............ electric motors that need diesels to charge up the batteries (I think)

Thinking some more about this story............

I wonder if this has anything to do with the CDS' intention to use blue & black tradesmen for overseas missions in support roles?

Could be,  Possibly,  maybe

geo said:
Hmmm... now that the media has sunk it's teeth into this story, I figure that someone will either say
1 - the army & airforce need all the cash to go ahead with missions and new capital acquisitions & the navy will have to wait it's turn

OR

2 - just going thru a 3rd quarter review & the entire fleet will sail out in short order to prove the press wrong

Hmmm.... decisions, decisions

No-one is going to mention the chair force, with this new army-centric vision of "everything exists to support the army" and the baggage that goes with it. But hey, what do you expect? We pimp the infantry (not a bad thing, I must say) and basically never speak a word of what the Navy is doing--of course nobody's going to provide money for the Navy!

It's time we have a bunch of CBC specials about sailors instead of soldiers!  :p

geo said:
Boater............ electric motors that need diesels to charge up the batteries (I think)

Was really more for the sake of humour, though it could become true(er) if this AIP stuff actually works, how comparable to the price of diesel would that stuff be?

There's a lot of slight of hand going on right now. I personally think that the MND protests too much that we are not sacrificing Navy Ops at the expense of the Afghanistan mission. ::)

Sub_Guy said:
Interesting, I could have sworn that we had 5 ships out on the west coast last night....
You may find that this is some "politicking" by the Navy to highlight that there are two other services. There may be any number of ships still sailing...but those are training; there may be decreased budget for operational sailing - - a small nuance that the media will likely miss, but gets people like Senator Kenny and Nova Scotia MP Peter Stoffer (like, who cares what an NDP member has to say  ::) ) weighing in on the matter.
The navy continues to train, but their budget gets increased so Canada doesn't look like a 3rd World country just off our coasts.

Frederik G said:
...with this new army-centric vision of "everything exists to support the army"
Fred, Fred, Fred.....a couple points, if I may
1) You're just a cadet; we'll tell you when you can have an opinion  ;)
2) You won't be allowed said opinion until you're old enough to realize that "army-centric" is not new.

Now, try and keep up here....only the infantry can hold ground.
As humans, we live...where? That's right, on the ground.
Therefore, until you grow gills or wings, the army is quite correctly the premier service, which you support which, if you make it out of RMC, you may have the privilege of supporting.

Questions? None? Good.
;D

Journeyman...........
Now, try and keep up here....only the infantry can hold ground.
Only with the help of the trusty sapper!

(now that they have their big toys for big boys)

Chimo! 

I know that all you army guys are joking. We all know that the Navy is the Senior Service.  ;D

Guess the navy will be doing a sortie sometime soon :)

IN HOC SIGNO said:
I know that all you army guys are joking. We all know that the Navy is the Senior Service.  ;D

Not bad for a bunch of old farts ;)

schart28 said:
All but two ships on the East and West Coasts are tied up. HMCS Ottawa is in the Persian Gulf, and Gagné said HMCS Charlottetown is out performing sea trials.

Do they not consider MCDVs ships (I can just imagine the comments on that statement  ::)), or do they fall under a different budget?  Because I know that at least one of them on the West Coast is at sea right now.

(and the non-serious side of me says: of course they are tying up ships. They are in mourning because navymich has defected to the blue!)

Only with the help of the trusty sapper!
and the folks in the black hats too.
Yes, yes. "Infantry. You stand alone, but you're never alone." You're welcome to assist my argument that everyone is there to support the tip of the spear...and we're grateful.

But this is a Navy thread, so my intent was to merely educate a Naval Cadet on the realities of the world.

We all know that the Navy is the Senior Service
Absolutely. No argument about you guys being the senior citizens, or whatever. I stated only that the Army is the "premier service"....as noted sagely by NCdt Fred himself (although not as eloquently)

;D

Back