• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCN to introduce new Conduct Policy and new Alcohol Policy

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Actually when I was on Op Toucan, we did have a two beer a day limit.  The bartender had a nominal roll of the junior ranks, and he would check off your name if you had your two beer.  This also made it easy to drink more than two beer, as they quickly figured out who wasn't drinking, so those who didn't drink, did in fact drink (on paper).

I have no doubt that was the case.  However, that limit was not imposed by the Navy.  That came from DCDS/CEFCOM/CJOC (i.e. applies once the ship CHOPS to that organization).

The beards are more than just a CBRN issue, it's also a Fire-Fighting issue.  We have our Draeger fire-fighting masks that we also must be able to get a seal with, not just for shipboard firefighting, but also for HAZMAT cleanup.

All the 'petty' things, well, they add up, but more than all of the 'nickel and dime things' is the schedule.  Or, should I say, the lack of one.

The new navy is able to respond on a moment's notice, I was on CHA when we went to Libya for Op Mobile in 2011, I came to work on Tuesday, and left for 6 months on Wednesday. 

This is all the more true for ships that have completed MLR and are piecing themselves back together after the refit and are undergoing the TRP (Tiered Readiness Program) which is 'managed' by the Navy, but has Irving, Lockheed Martin, L3, the IPMS contractors, various trials agencies, Sea Training, and so on all demanding time, a place in the schedule, and the changes to the schedule have made things such that our sailors don't know when they're coming or going. 

My own home life has taken a spin for the worse because of all this, bringing a ship through the TRP, to the point that I almost volunteered for the last 2 months of TOR's deployment so that I'd be assured of a definite schedule. 

To be truthful, I don't give a damn about the booze at sea.  No big deal to me, I don't drink at sea, haven't in years.  First night in rules?  We'll see what happens.  I've got 2 ports coming up in the next 2 months, one is a working port (mid WUPs) and one is post WUPs (Red-Hat-Safe!) and I would imagine that the first night in the second port has more potential for concerns than the first port.

I've been told that my time at sea in this rank comes to an end this summer, and I'm headed ashore.  I'm really looking forward to it.  It will be nice to come home every night to my family, and maybe get back to the gym.

NS

The drinking at sea was something I never really took part in other than the odd time (this was the case for most people as well, so why cut it?). I just liked having the option. I also liked being able to purchase booze for 1$ (really cuts down on your costs especially in port). The part that annoys me about this is the fact that it is being taken away for a crappy reason (i.e. a political reason not a logical reason), and the fact that no one seems to be fighting it, everyone has just rolled over and taken it. As mentioned before the administrative policies were in place to deal with people who broke the rules, it just takes leadership which actually has a back bone to enforce it.

jollyjacktar said:
This, what we're hearing, is a new direction.  Totally different and more restrictive rules.  Hell, even CHA was restricted to 2 beers while in Italy during OP MOBILE.  A more nanny state, state of mind seems to be taking over the risk adverse big whigs more and more these past few years now.

Welcome to the infantry  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
Welcome to the infantry  ;D

Yes, been there, done that.  It's great to be 13 again having the babysitter coming while the adults are out at dinner.  I feel 40 years younger already. 

jollyjacktar said:
Yes, been there, done that.  It's great to be 13 again having the babysitter coming while the adults are out at dinner.  I feel 40 years younger already.

See, there IS an upside!  ;D

I supose in today's X-Box driven world its OK to leave complex and potent console controlled weapons in the hands of 13 year old's.  :D

Oh the irony.  Following the FELEX such things were banned on FRE as they were wireless controllers and couldn't be used because of the new SECLAN.  They may have lightened up since I left in April last, but I don't know.

jollyjacktar said:
Oh the irony.  Following the FELEX such things were banned on FRE as they were wireless controllers and couldn't be used because of the new SECLAN. 

Are you kidding me. You mean that with today's knowledge of radio interference the powers that be could not come up with  a SECLAN that is secured from external low power RF interference? What's the point of the SEC in SECLAN then?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Are you kidding me. You mean that with today's knowledge of radio interference the powers that be could not come up with  a SECLAN that is secured from external low power RF interference? What's the point of the SEC in SECLAN then?

Secure means encrypted data transmission.  It doesn't mean it's not susceptible to EMI.  The policy concerning EMI/EMC on warships is constantly evolving, and SECLAN is but only one system in the big picture.

Occam said:
Secure means encrypted data transmission.  It doesn't mean it's not susceptible to EMI.  The policy concerning EMI/EMC on warships is constantly evolving, and SECLAN is but only one system in the big picture.

The end result of the new rules in place is a diminished quality of life onboard ship. When you are restricted from having wireless devices in most spaces, even a Kindle.. It is a major step backward.

As I said, the policies are evolving.  The post-FELEX EM environment was initially mapped using computer modeling, theoretical values, and conservative best guesses.  As more testing is done to determine realistic values based on real data, you'll see things relaxed.  We have a hard enough time making sure that the ship's systems don't negatively interfere with each other, we'll get to Xboxes and Kindles eventually.

The other problem is a matter of hardware access and control.

With the old CCS, you would be hard pressed to find a way to hook a computer up to it (that wasn't specially designed) to pull data off the net.  Good luck finding a Triax Connector compatible....with the correct termination resistance.

With the new CMS, I would think that due to the greater potential for hardware compatibility with civilian spec hardware, well, having a list of authorized personal electronic devices is a *good thing* and, having strong policy to control and ensure that someone doesn't bring their X-box in and tie it into a large display somewhere on the ship is a  BETTER thing.

I'm fine with the policy. 

Alas, it means that the FitBit that my wife got me for Christmas languishes in the car, so I have no idea how far I walk on the ship in the run of a day!  (Get it...run....LOL)

NS

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/hmcs-calgary-officer-charged-with-drunkenness-disobeying-orders-1.2239963

Whoops.  Some one just stirred the pot again!

It appears to be the same incident which precipitated the new conduct policy.
The CAF has only just gotten around to laying charges.

What a PC world we live in. It can't be much fun in the Navy anymore at any Rank level. I'm not excusing anyone's misbehavior, but the extremely wide range of offenses appears to make anyone who hasn't the protection of the media and / or the squeaky clean moral behavior of Jesus Christ himself open for defamation.

Back