• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP snipers test teen's bullet-proof invention

Blakey

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
First, good on the young man.
Second, good on the MND for looking at it, maybe something that we might see down the line? (well, probably not before I get out).

Link

160_cfrn_shoot_071201.jpg

An RCMP sniper fires at Darren Shulte's non-ceramic bullet-proof vest to see if it can withstand the shots.
RCMP snipers test teen's bullet-proof invention
Updated Sat. Dec. 1 2007 8:49 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

RCMP snipers took aim at Darren Shulte's Grade 9 science project this week, firing at his non-ceramic bullet-proof plate to see if it could save lives.

Shulte, of St. Albert, Alta., created the plate five years ago for a junior high school science fair when he was just 13 years old.

Now, law enforcement officials are taking his invention seriously, with even Defence Minister Peter MacKay showing an interest.

"This is my life right now," Shulte told CTV Edmonton. "There isn't anything else."
The plate is designed to be worn inside a tactical vest by police and military personnel. Unlike other such plates, it isn't made from ceramic or Kevlar.

EDIT: To add photo and caption. (SP)

I heard about this in the summer. The teen is a genius in my books. If I works, I will buy him a Lg Double Double.... and I'm sure all other soldiers will too. It means making your existing body armour lighter, but having ALL the same protective qualities... WEEEE

That's pretty fantastic, smart kid.

Wow, good on him.

If it is lighter than the ceramic plates we carry now....  :salute:

i agree that he is definatly on his way, kids seem to have an open mind, they dont know the limitations of things so they design some amazing things because of it

Awesome!  What an excellent example of determination and drive!

Yeah, what a great kid.  Nice to see success stories like this one. 
Of course, by the time T&E gets around to green lighting a purchase any of them, we'll be shooting at each other with ray guns.  :p

zipperhead_cop said:
Yeah, what a great kid.  Nice to see success stories like this one. 
Of course, by the time T&E gets around to green lighting a purchase any of them, we'll be shooting at each other with ray guns.   :p

which kid has invented that?  ;D

WOW I just read this article and it was amazing  to read this young man is going places in his life .  Hopefully his invention well be able to save even more lives in the years to come .

Would be very interesting to find out what its made out of. Probably won't happen untill he gets it patented though.
Also wonder why none of the defense companies around the world have thought of it.

This guy must have thought way outside the box. Good for him.

I hope he gets his international patent soon, it sounds like it will revolutionize law enforcement, perhaps even be used in military applications eventually as well.

In the article they mentioned they had fired at it with a .44 Magnum, Now I have no knowledge of the power of guns, but what would that relate too? any estimations on distance fired from? and do the current Kevlar or Ceramic plate vests withstand to the same gun?

JBoyd said:
In the article they mentioned they had fired at it with a .44 Magnum, Now I have no knowledge of the power of guns, but what would that relate too? any estimations on distance fired from? and do the current Kevlar or Ceramic plate vests withstand to the same gun?

No.  The media has a love affair with the .44 as being some monster powerful weapon.  It is a large calibre, but it has less of a chance of getting through a vest than a Nato 5.56, which will skate right through. 
There are varying levels of protection for different vests.  You can see the various types in the settings for the teams in the game Rainbow 6. 

JBoyd said:

They were likely using a .44 as that is the round a vest must stop to be rated "class IIIA" for handguns under the NIJ ratings:

http://www.bodyarmorcompany.com/ballisticlevels.html#NIJnorm

zipperhead_cop said:
No.  The media has a love affair with the .44 as being some monster powerful weapon.  It is a large calibre, but it has less of a chance of getting through a vest than a Nato 5.56, which will skate right through. 
There are varying levels of protection for different vests.  You can see the various types in the settings for the teams in the game Rainbow 6. 

The video that I saw showed them shooting at it with a C8 looking weapon. I would love to see what it does VS an AP round!

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-ca&brand=sympatico&vid=61e8994e-6ccc-432c-87ec-b924c7ff947d&from=rss37

edited to add link to video

Wow!  This is fantastic!  This kid has invented an amazing product with lots of promise.

Thats amazing! It reminds me when I saw a Canadian Inventor on Daily planet who invented a paste that when hardened could withstand high amounts of damage. Troy Hurtubise is his name, also invented the bear suit, he's actually now combined all his creations into a body suit. He's very enthusiastic about his designs, after the bear suit his designs revolved around military applications as his brother was serving in the CF.

Video - Trojan Suit
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JPS2l5fQ55A
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xqa08UGZGtk&feature=related

Wiki about Troy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Hurtubise

Back