• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ESAPI Stops Armor Piercing Bullets

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Unlike the SAPI plates they are lighter. :)

Armor Piercing Bullets
December 17, 2007: The U.S. Army and Marines are in the process of replacing existing SAPI (Small arms protective inserts) ceramic bulletproof plates for protective vests, with thicker, but not much heavier ESAPI plates. The new ESAPI provides protection from armor piercing bullets, which enemy snipers are increasingly using.

The basic "Level 3" SAPI plates are 10x12 inches, weigh 4.6 pounds each and cost about $400. A lighter weight (3.3 pounds) plate costs $750. The older Level 4 plates, weighing about 6.4 pounds each, could stop armor piercing bullets, but the new ESAPI weighs less and have the same stopping power. ESAPI is more expensive, at $600 a plate. There are also smaller plates that can be worn on the side. Despite pressure from politicians to force the troops to wear the side plates (which constrict movement and add weight), the generals dug in their heels, and were allowed to let local commanders to decide if side plates had to be worn.

SAPI are made of boron carbide ceramic with a spectra shield backing. This combination causes bullets to fragment and slow down before getting through the plate. Occasionally, some fragments will get through, but these are stopped by the layers of Kevlar that make up the flak jackets. The success of the plates, and the frequent attacks on U.S. troops in Iraq has led the U.S. Army to try and get enough plates for all troops in the combat zone, not just those in infantry units. This is more of a morale issue than anything else, as non-infantry troops are most frequently exposed to bombs and RPGs. The fragments from these weapons can be stopped by the flack jackets without the plates. But morale is important, so the army is trying to get enough SAPI plates for everyone.

The ceramic plates require a manufacturing process that uses, and produces, a lot of toxic chemicals, much of the production has moved to China.

Made in the USA - Berry Amendment compliant  ;)
IMG_3347.jpg

much of the production has moved to China

This is pretty disturbing that the Chinese will be able to use this technology as well as make these vests for our military.

I'm not sure where they got that idea -- but the US gov directs via the Berry Amendment that items like that (and tactical nylon etc.) for US mil purchase is made in the US. 
Why MSA makes the ACH -- and LE can buy the French made Gallet TC2002 -- despite its the same helmet

I can confirm what I6's saying. We can't sell anything to LE or Mil on a corporate level i.e. 110th Mountain wants 300 x M4 Pouches in ACU because we're not in the US, and thus do not comply with the manufacturing laws. Berry Amendment pretty much guarantees that what ever will be used by .Gov will be MIUSA and all associated materials will also be MIUSA.

ESAPI doesn't stop those 5.56 with plastic tip that I had. Took huge chunks out.

Back