• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF 100 - Name the Eagle Mascot

Monty Python Please GIF
It’s not a conversation…it’s an argument…
1704380291533.gif

"Lac au Sac", combining the two fighter base names (Lac from Cold Lake, Sac from the Bag in Bagotville) that has the added benefit of sounding vaguely inappropriate.

Sounds like it’s time for an RCAF-led callsign review board…

😈

The Red Tailed Hawk would be a better choice, its a hunter, not a scavenger like a certain other bird:

Attachments

• red tailed hawk02.jpg
    red tailed hawk02.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 1
I can’t wait to see some of the candidates :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 82179

As the Bald Eagle is most closely associated with the Pacific Northwest, and the Coast Salish who have a long history of honouring the eagle, it would make sense to name it 'Vision' (same spelling in both English and French) of course ;)

Four Feathers​

The four sections of this guide represent traditional stages of learning: vision, gathering, knowledge, and sharing. Feathers are sacred for Coast Salish peoples (Charles, 2018), and each section has its own feathered bird that serves as a symbol for that stage:

Eagle/QELENSEN: Vision​

Two bald eagles sitting on top of a tree

The Eagle is a sacred symbol to Indigenous people. The eagle is the leader of all flying birds. The eagle is the strongest, has the greatest vision, is well-balanced, soars through the skies, and the eagle flies the highest to carry messages of prayer to our Creator/XALS.

As the Bald Eagle is most closely associated with the Pacific Northwest, and the Coast Salish who have a long history of honouring the eagle, it would make sense to name it 'Vision' (same spelling in both English and French) of course ;)

Four Feathers​

The four sections of this guide represent traditional stages of learning: vision, gathering, knowledge, and sharing. Feathers are sacred for Coast Salish peoples (Charles, 2018), and each section has its own feathered bird that serves as a symbol for that stage:

Eagle/QELENSEN: Vision​

Two bald eagles sitting on top of a tree

The Eagle is a sacred symbol to Indigenous people. The eagle is the leader of all flying birds. The eagle is the strongest, has the greatest vision, is well-balanced, soars through the skies, and the eagle flies the highest to carry messages of prayer to our Creator/XALS.
Is it most closely associated with them? I grew up on PEI had had a Bald Eagle nest across the road from my home... I knew what a Bald Eagle was before I new the Left Coast existed.

Back