• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions Regarding the Armoured Reserves

PrivateBlueberries

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings.
I have some questions regarding being a reservist in armoured reconnaissance.
I would like to note that I am a minor at the age of 16, and am currently neither ready nor eligible to enlist until I've sorted out my education, fitness, and psychological state. I have but a few questions, and I have searched the message boards prior to creating my account. Although, there were a few things I couldn't quite clarify on my own. That being said, I apologize if I ask something that has already been covered in previous threads.

Firstly, I was wondering if it is true that reservists in the field of armoured reconnaissance are restricted to the use of unarmed G-Wagons for their duties, thus not getting the opportunity to train with any AFVs such as APCs or main battle tanks. I don't expect recce to be a jolly ol' ride in the woods with your favourite vehicles, I would just like to know what to expect, and if I may have the opportunity to train with them on special exercises, or whatnot.
I am not joining for fun, I'm joining because I want to contribute to national security.

Some other things I was wondering was what some things I can do as a civilian and youth to prepare for mind and body, and learn more about the military.
I've heard someone recommend visiting the armory, although I'm not sure if civilians are only allowed to visit if they are ready to enlist.
The reason I insist on enlisting in the reserves rather than the regular force is because I want to make sure that the military life is for me, or rather, if I'm suited for the military.
I appreciate your time reading this, and I apologize if I dragged on my question too long.

Thank you for the reply. I live in Mississauga southeast of Toronto, so I've been looking up The Ontario Regiment, or the Black Cats as they're also known as if my Google searches have done be good. I've also heard of The Windsor Regiment, although they're quite far from the GTA to visit. Would you recommend I make time to visit while I'm still a minor, or wait till I'm 18 or so to schedule a visit before enlisting as you explained? While I'm eager to go, I'm not sure how they'll react to a teen kid popping up on base. Thank you for the recommendations and information, I wasn't sure if the G-Wagons were unarmed or unarmoured, which are critical differences...

PrivateBlueberries said:
I live in Mississauga southeast of Toronto,

Mississauga is west of TO.  :)

mariomike said:
Mississauga is west of TO.  :)
Why... Thank you for the correction. I've mixed up the two opposite directions again... Thankfully I'm not applying yet, if this were the recruiter's office, I'd have been asked to leave.

If my memory is good, the QY Rangers are armoured and are out of Fort York.  That would be closer to you.

tree hugger said:
If my memory is good, the QY Rangers are armoured and are out of Fort York.  That would be closer to you.

There is also an infantry reserve armoury in Mississauga.

tree hugger said:
Much obliged, I will look into it.
mariomike said:
There is also an infantry reserve armoury in Mississauga.
Hm, so that's where the Toronto Scottish Regiment have an HQ. I may visit Fort York first when I'm ready since I'm mostly interested in armoured recce, although I hear in the application process you're required to name three different trades in case there aren't any available positions in one. I'm not sure if it is the same for joining the reserves, so infantry will probably be my second preference, so this is good to know.

PrivateBlueberries said:
Hm, so that's where the Toronto Scottish Regiment have an HQ.

They have an armoury there. Their HQ is in south Etobicoke.

PrivateBlueberries said:
Much obliged, I will look into it. Hm, so that's where the Toronto Scottish Regiment have an HQ. I may visit Fort York first when I'm ready since I'm mostly interested in armoured recce, although I hear in the application process you're required to name three different trades in case there aren't any available positions in one. I'm not sure if it is the same for joining the reserves, so infantry will probably be my second preference, so this is good to know.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100

Joining the Reserves

If you are interested in joining the Reserves, your first step is to contact one of your local Reserve units to find out which positions are available and then apply online. Your local recruiting centre will process your application and ensure that you complete the required steps of the application process. Reserve applicants are required to pass a physical fitness test before being selected. All other steps of the application process are the same as for the Regular Force.

Once you have been evaluated and the application process is complete, your local Reserve unit decides to issue a job offer. Not everyone who applies for a job in the Reserves will get one. It all depends on job availability.

PrivateBlueberries said:
I've mixed up the two opposite directions again...

You'll need to fix that tendency before being turned loose in a training area with map and compass.

PrivateBlueberries said:
although I hear in the application process you're required to name three different trades in case there aren't any available positions in one.

Actually that is only for RegF. If you are going reserve you pick one occupation and one unit which you want to join. The Unit drives your recruiting process.

Thank you all for your responses. After researching the qualifications and BMQ, I have decided to work towards becoming an armoured crewman.

Time will tell where I am needed and what I'm suited for. If things work out, after a few years or so I may ask for a CT depending on how my life turns out, and of course the needs of the CF. (I pray to Johnny Canuck that a GED suffices at the age of 17 or 18. It'll be safer to enlist at 18 due to the likelihood of my parents' approval.)

EDIT
Naturally so, the said equivalency test I had based my hopes and dreams around requires that the test subject applicant must be at least 18 years of age. That said, it looks like there's no skipping. While I am not looking forward to another couple years in the civvie life dreaming about the army, this is good; it forces me to take the time to get prepared. I may apply directly for full time rather than the reserves depending on how things turn out. I can plan to my heart's content, but the world often has different plans in mind. Having said that, I ought to start cracking somehow and stop idly thinking about about it.

GED? Are you not still in high school? If you are, finish and get the diploma. That's a lot easier than getting a GED later. Get even more education afterwards as well. These are constant themes here - we push that advice on a lot of people. You'll thank us someday if you follow it.

Also, from an earlier post of yours, it's "Armoury" in Canada.

Loachman said:
GED? Are you not still in high school? If you are, finish and get the diploma. That's a lot easier than getting a GED later. Get even more education afterwards as well. These are constant themes here - we push that advice on a lot of people. You'll thank us someday if you follow it.

Also, from an earlier post of yours, it's "Armoury" in Canada.
Thank you for the advice, although I'm currently homeschooled, so I am not qualified for an OSSD. I could switch to public school, but they said I'd possibly end up having to start over from Grade 9, setting me back another few years.

I suppose a GED might however restrict my career advancement and consideration for the process.
Also, thank you for the corrections.

PrivateBlueberries said:
Thank you for the advice, although I'm currently homeschooled, so I am not qualified for an OSSD. I could switch to public school, but they said I'd possibly end up having to start over from Grade 9, setting me back another few years.

I suppose a GED might however restrict my career advancement and consideration for the process.

There have been a few Home School discussions you may find of interest,

can i join the CF as infantry with a homeschool diploma 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/99935.0

Homeschooled!! 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/113123.0/nowap.html

As always, best to contact Recruiting.

mariomike said:
There have been a few Home School discussions you may find of interest,

can i join the CF as infantry with a homeschool diploma 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/99935.0

Homeschooled!! 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/113123.0/nowap.html

As always, best to contact Recruiting.

Thank you, I'll have a look in those threads and lurk the rest of the forum for info. As you have stated, it's always best to contact the recruiters should one have questions regarding recruitment...

I'll see to it that my beard and hair are taken care of.
Hopefully the application process isn't as cutthroat as I hear.

Back