• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions on Recruitment

marinemech

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently in School in NB taking the Diesel Mechanics Program, and am looking at the Canadian forces for my career, after graduation i will have to do my block release program where every year i will need to go back to classes for a few weeks until i am a registered mechanic. I am currently looking at the Vehicle Tech or Marine Engine Tech

my questions are
1. Will they recognize my current training including my fall arrest and confined space training
2. when i need to go to do my block releases is there a procedure to go back to home province for the classes
3. Would i enter as a NCO or a officer due to my training

If you are joining a NCM trade, no you will not be enrolled as a officer. As for joining as a NCO, some people have been promoted to Cpl on their BMQ grad depending on their civilian education and trade(ie civvie education would have to be equiv to their Military trade).  As for what the pre reqs are for that, or if it is still done I don't know.  Why are you already looking to go up the ranks when you aren't even in yet though?  Anyways, the recruiting staff can find out if any of your civilian training would enable you to bypass some trades training or be advanced promoted to Cpl, etc.

As for being able to go back to home province to do a course,  unless it is specific to the trade you want and there is no military equiv course you may be able to do the civilian course, depending on your CoC. As for being able to do it in home province,  again that would depend on your CoC, if it is run in the area you are posted they may want you to do it there.  If you want it, you would have to write a memo requesting it, worst they can tell you is no.

Also, if the Military won't send you on the course,  you would have to do it on your own time during nights/weekends or leave(if the course runs during your leave dates) - again just something to run past your CoC and let them know you intend on doing it during leave.  Anyways,  that is just my guess as to how it would work for taking a civilian course.

Short answer, go to your local Recruiting Centre, and talk to the recruiters there,  they will be able to give you the most current info and how it relates to you.
*CoC = Chain of Command, the people in charge of you

my education covers about 90% of both entry points, i think i will talk to a recruiter when im in town on Friday.

Back