• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about living at Nelles Block...

Most schools do not allow QL3 students to live off base. You will need to contact the Fleet School to find out their policy. That being said, it can serve as a good opportunity to do a recce if you're going to end up posted there.

DireWolf said:
Hey,

I ghost around on the forums gathering what information I can so that when I am sent to Victoria for my 3's I am more or less versed in what I need to know.

Sadly I haven't found anything recent about the 'Block' other than it's a apparently a wild house and loud. I am not a partier, I'm not loud, and I have problems being able to sleep around noise even with ear plugs.

So my question is this.

When I'm sent for 3's will I have an option to be able to go to a room that isn't surrounded by loud people? Will I be able to get a an apartment for myself? Or am I on 'In-doc' period for a certain amount of time like basic.

Right now I'm waiting to be put back on course after a leg injury some time at the end of January. So anyone that knows of something would be extremely helpful. As well, would it be possible to know if we are allowed to bring things such as pillows and our bedding with us? These fire blankets do not help me on any level on BMQ and I freeze my *** off >,<.

Many thanks to those that answer,

OS. L.
Been a while since I worked at the fleet school but you can have an option to live out.  If you are married, it's easy, just ask and it is basically automatic. Otherwise, it used to be granted after a period of time. However things may have changed, in Borden they concluded that they had no legal basis to force you to live in barracks. In Gagetown they were still denying guys. Request it anyway and see what happens.

If they make you live in barracks, it's going to be loud. There is nothing you can do about it.  You will probably be 2 to a room. Otherwise it isn't bad at all.  The mess... Excuse me.. Galley is on the bottom floor and one of the better ones in the Cf, the gym is basically next door and you are close to major bus routes in to town. Plus Victoria is awesome.

Hmm interesting,

Thank you for the replies to this even though the topic was moved here. I'm from Vancouver and I've heard all about the wonderful things in Victoria even though I haven't been there... yet. >.>

Also, I'm still stuck paying rations when in Nellies? Isn't that a little harsh for those that want to have say actual Chinese noodles? (I'm Asian and I love me my noodles.) I was told by someone recently you don't have to pay for the Rations and if you don't want to pay full amount you could put it onto a card for whatever amount you put onto it.

I'd like to save as much money as I can and not pay out the nose for rations I might eat every day.

Also... thank god about the bedding, that makes me very happy.

So now my last question is what is the PLD now or is it 815$ still? I'm just curious so that when I look into apartments after my QL3's I have an idea of what I can get and what I can't. And so the gentlemen(?) that asked what my trade was or wasn't sure. I'm a Nav Comm, what are most days like there at the Fleet School?

I actually can't wait to get out of basic, the only thing holding me back at the moment is the Compartment Syndrome that was diagnosed by my sports chiro/physio when I came back for Christmas Vacation, he's working it while I'm still here so it's not at the chronic stage, but it was pretty bad. Docs on base said it was shin splints and to not be worried, oh well. I'm going from week 6 back to week 4 hopefully at the end of January because I'm AWT at the moment.

Thanks for info about the usual day and the updated PLD, now my question about PLD, do you get that RIGHT after you finish your QL3's? Or do you have to apply for that?

Would it be better for me to say a month before I finish my QL3's to go and get that done then I have it for when I move out? I like planning ahead, well ahead if I need to.

It's been 7 years since I worked at the fleet school so I know my info is out dated. However, as of last year CFSATE was working with the impression that they had no authority to deny you the opportunity to live out (barring the result of charges). I would be curious to know if anyone has the reference one way or the other? It definitely is being handled differently from school to school. I knew a guy in Gagetown who was denied living out while on PAT/R 2 month before I got to Borden where they have been allowing live outs for a year based on the info above.

And rations at Nelles are pretty decent. It is not like basic.

When I was there a year and a half ago they forced you to live on base and pay rations.

One guy on my course asked to get taken off rations (with memos etc.) because financially he couldn't afford it (had a family and a house that he was paying for). I believe he said the request had to actually go up to Ottawa and even then it wasn't approved.

Food wise it was garbage when I was there, might be better now as I doubt it could have gotten worse (it was the common complaint on many of the course critiques at that time period). Many of us at that time would end up eating somewhere else for supper or on the weekends which sucks as your paying for the meal at Nelles Block regardless.

Eaglelord17 said:
When I was there a year and a half ago they forced you to live on base and pay rations.

One guy on my course asked to get taken off rations (with memos etc.) because financially he couldn't afford it (had a family and a house that he was paying for). I believe he said the request had to actually go up to Ottawa and even then it wasn't approved.

Food wise it was garbage when I was there, might be better now as I doubt it could have gotten worse (it was the common complaint on many of the course critiques at that time period). Many of us at that time would end up eating somewhere else for supper or on the weekends which sucks as your paying for the meal at Nelles Block regardless.
Living guys always complain about the food.  Every base is the same. They always say "it's crap". Nelles is historically one of the better ones. And there is lots of good food close by unlike some places. I miss le Belle patate [emoji22]

Stacked said:
Nelles Block Rations are decent.  I find them a lot better than what you get at Juno Towers on the east coast.
I miss le belle patate too, used to like going there for lunches. But now since we can't go off base in uniform unless going directly home.... Actually I won't get started on that.

I think that's been changed now, at least out east.

Back