• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about living at Nelles Block...

stoker34

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just about to leave from Montreal to go to my first posting at CFB Esquimalt, BC.  I am on "restriction imposee" (sorry for the French term, I don't know the English translation).  That means I will be living on "quarters and rations" at Nelles Block until my house is sold in Quebec and my wife can come and meet me in BC.  I know I won't have to pay for quarters and rations.  My question is:  Will I have a room for myself or will I share it with 2,3 or 4 guys?  Can we have phone, cable and internet in these rooms?

Thanks for the replies,

P.S.:  Yes I did a search but couldn't find answers to my questions...  ;)

I guess you didn't look hard enough:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27341/post-172819.html#msg172819

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/39561/post-338641.html#msg338641

stoker34 said:
Hi everyone,

I am just about to leave from Montreal to go to my first posting at CFB Esquimalt, BC.  I am on "restriction imposee" (sorry for the French term, I don't know the English translation).  That means I will be living on "quarters and rations" at Nelles Block until my house is sold in Quebec and my wife can come and meet me in BC.  I know I won't have to pay for quarters and rations.  My question is:  Will I have a room for myself or will I share it with 2,3 or 4 guys?  Can we have phone, cable and internet in these rooms?

You can have up to four roomates.  When I left there they were in the process of adding tvs to all the rooms and were going to make cable free.  You can put a landline and internet in if you want, most people just used a cell phone though.

when I was first posted to Esquimalt, I was given my own room in Nelles block.  It was alright, although sometimes a little loud.  If your going to be in quarters for over a month, I would suggest to you, (depending on your rank) to ask for quarters in Bernay's Block.  I moved there shortly after getting to Esquimalt and found it much quieter.  I was on shift work so Bernay's was definitely a better fit for me.

When I first got posted to Esq, I was on an IR as well..  As an AB I was told that I couldn't get a room in Bernay's, but they did give me my own room in nelles.... It was the summer time and it was a full house, but still there were 3 empty racks in my room.

Although I did have the best RMS CPO1 on the in the navy batting for me, so perhaps she helped a little!

Thanks everyone for your replies...  I am an AB so chances are I won't get a room at Barney's. 

:salute:

stoker34 said:
I am an AB so chances are I won't get a room at Barney's. 

No, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Especially because by the end of August, both Nelles and Bernays will be cleared out of all the summer people.  I always found, when checking on rooms for anyone in my department, that it seemed to be just being in the right place at the right time.  Get settled in first, take what you're given, but ask at accommodations the possibility of it, and also bring it up to your supervisor once you start.  Good luck.

Either way you should (I know availability will dictate) have your own room, I have done two IR's and both times I have had my own room..  I know people will try to tell ya different, but if you have a supervisor with a big set he/she will sort everything out.  It is one thing to be single and wild living in Nelles, than it is to be on an IR married and being surrounded with wild roommates...  I know in Halifax if you are on IR you could get put up in an furnished apartment/hotel.....

My story is when I first got to ESQ I was posted to the VAN (AB), my clerks in halifax knew I was going on an IR, but neglected to inform me of my entitlement of a room.... SO I lived onboard until the Clerks found out, the ships office set me up with a room in Nelles...... I went to move into Nelles, and I found that I was in a room with 3 other dudes..(when I questioned the accommodations personnel they told me that there were no empty rooms..)..... NOT COOL, this was on a friday, I stayed onboard all weekend, then come Monday one of the clerks inquired about my room, I informed them that there were 3 animals living in it.... She snapped, made a phone call.... I had my own room before lunch, which was empty and ironically right across the hall from where they originally had me booked.    Same thing in Halifax (as a LS), at first it was "a" block, after a quick discussion with accommodations personnel there, they quickly changed my room to St.  Laurent block........... 

Be polite, professional, and hopefully you will catch a break and get your own room.

Good Luck!

Stoker eh?  GO BOATS!!!

Nelles block is loud- every time the extra large lard ass above me stumbled in drunk or slammed his closet/locker door it shook my room below. It used to be really wild there in the evenings- blasters cranked up, shouting, swearing, laughing etc. [especially the first few days after those pirates from the east coast show up for course.]

Food was good though- lots of fresh fruit/salads etc.

With internet going in the rooms, it should be easier to get a seat in the cyber cafe.

Weirdest sighting for me while staying at Nelles- one time I walked into the shower room and immediately about faced and ran away when I saw two sets of legs visible in the gap between the bottom of the shower curtain and the floor of a shower stall. I ran all the way to the Kootenay and took a shower there. 

Cheers

Thanks again guys, I will do the best I can to have my own room, yet in a polite and professional way.  I am so anxious to get there!  (The wife is not so excited!) but she will love Victoria, I am sure!

whiskey601 said:
Weirdest sighting for me while staying at Nelles- one time I walked into the shower room and immediately about faced and ran away when I saw two sets of legs visible in the gap between the bottom of the shower curtain and the floor of a shower stall. I ran all the way to the Kootenay and took a shower there. 

I hope at least one of them was female!!  When I single on my 3's in nelles, we gave it the nickname, Nelles Brothel...... IT was wild and the party never stopped!!  And that was with a dedicated female wing!! 

While there on my IR it was even worse as the females are all over the place, there isn't a dedicated wing, like "A" block!!  I loved it, needless to say that after my "ex" moved out west she quickly left 2 months later *ahem, we were both guilty of indiscretions*... Ahh we were to young, it all worked out for the better for both of us....

I was just there for my PLQ, and it didn't seem that bad, but it is pretty typical of any co-ed dorm across Canada, here's to hoping you get your own room, or a VERY responsible roommate.  The food is decent, its like a roller coaster, sometimes its amazing other times, its like WTF is going on now?  I guess it all depends on who is running the show behind the scenes.......  Its your average galley, it isn't as good as "A" galley, but then again that place changes all the time too...

FEMALE??  ouhhhhhh, temptations.....  ok, ok, I will try to be a responsible hubby!  Mouhahahahahahahahaha!!!

Never forget the female of the species is all knowing and all seeing, us poor males cannot get away with anything and what we do get away with the gals let us get away with it.

I have gone to many a party in Nelles  >:D ...but that was many years ago before I met my husband.
Always seemed to be that the rowdiest ones were those from the east coast..... ;D

Just a warning....avoid the Carlton like the plague! Spend the extra cab fare and go to a decent club downtown.

I will spend my weekdays there studying and my weekends at my moms for some peace and quiet and a break from the monotony.

Every good sailor needs to experience the Carlton Club!  >:D

I wouldn't say the rowdy ones are from the east, but capers tend to fight amongst each other when drunk......

Either way have fun, and enjoy a good Mr. TubeSteak....

Sub_Guy said:
Every good sailor needs to experience the Carlton Club!   >:D
I wouldn't say the rowdy ones are from the east, but capers tend to fight amongst each other when drunk......
Either way have fun, and enjoy a good Mr. TubeSteak....

LOL....not sure if they need to experience it, but it is good for a laugh after a hard week's work.
A Mr.Tubesteak is good at 2am, but nothing beats a slice from pizza corner at 4am....lol

Check Mate!

Although you can get pizza anywhere, its the donairs that for some retarded reason we can't get out west..... I mean a decent one too, not some dinky thing....  I have been making my own from home which do the trick.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but Sub-Guy, fess-up and share your donair recipe.  Haven't found an excellent recipe yet.

Sub_Guy said:
Check Mate!

Although you can get pizza anywhere, its the donairs that for some retarded reason we can't get out west..... I mean a decent one too, not some dinky thing....  I have been making my own from home which do the trick.

I agree! That donair shop in Esquimalt sucks and is a disgrace to donairs.
Had my first real one when we moved out here, and it was 1000x better than that nasty place in Esq.

I would also love your recipe...my kids are addicted and it gets expensive!

When I get back from leave, I'll check with my chief cook too.  He makes amazing donairs a couple times of month onboard.  MMMmmmm

Back