• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

He actually wants a guarantee?    ::)

arushbhai said:
Also, If I am not successful in St Jean, I get discharged, basically i lose 1 year of my life?

The same can be said about your university ambitions. University isn't easy, and many fail out even after their second year. Like others have already said, if you are already taking a negative outlook on this, you are setting yourself up for failure. Go forward with confidence, determination and the mindset to not fail.

Also, like it has been suggested, please be cognizant of your writing, especially when it comes to your applications. How well or poorly written your essays/ other materials are, is a determining factor with all of these things. If you are going to be studying criminal justice, you will be doing a lot of writing, and communication is a very important aspect of this.

arushbhai said:
When you do ROTP, do you do as a cadet officer, second lieutenant or lieutenant? because in forces.ca, ROTP is included in all 3 ranks with different salary. What does that mean?

Under ROTP, while you are in university, you will be an Officer Cadet (or Naval Cadet if you wear a naval uniform) and paid as such in accordance with the ROTP pay scale.  Once you graduate and are commissioned you will continue to be paid in accordance with the ROTP pay scale up to the rank of Captain (= Lieutenant(N) in the Navy).  Simply put, junior officers of equal rank (except for Captains/Lieutenants(N)) and seniority are paid at different rates depending on their entry plans.  This has no bearing on their employment, training progress or level of responsibility.

Pusser said:
Under ROTP, while you are in university, you will be an Officer Cadet (or Naval Cadet if you wear a naval uniform) and paid as such in accordance with the ROTP pay scale.  Once you graduate and are commissioned you will continue to be paid in accordance with the ROTP pay scale up to the rank of Captain (= Lieutenant(N) in the Navy).  Simply put, junior officers of equal rank (except for Captains/Lieutenants(N)) and seniority are paid at different rates depending on their entry plans.  This has no bearing on their employment, training progress or level of responsibility.

I think part of it is to do with the fact that ROTP means 4 years drawing OCdt pay while a DEO who already has a degree starts as a 2Lt. Once the ROTP graduates and gets his commission he gets slightly more pay until each reaches Captain (which seems to be automatic.)

I live in Mississauga and thinking about joining the reserves. The only problem is, I wanted to join the Military police reserve which in my area, I have armour reserve. Do you think, It will help me become a cop? My goal is to get as much experience as possible from reserve so my resume looks good for police when I apply. I am taking criminal justice in humber college. Its a degree program. What are your thoughts? Am I doing it right so far? Should I go ahead and apply for Reserves? even though the one I wanted to join doesnt exist in my area

MGalantine said:
and in my personal opinion, if you're doing the reserves solely to benefit your policing dreams... then what do you have to offer them? Why should they take you?

We've had discussions about this in other threads. The recruiting campaigns advertise "related civilian occupations" and how military experience will help you secure a civie job in a desired field afterwards for a reason. If they didn't want people "using" them just to buff up their application, they wouldn't advertise in such a fashion.

From the forces.ca website:
The minimum academic requirement is a community college diploma in Law and Security Administration, Police Foundations, or a similar program from a recognised Community College or CEGEP.

I'd first suggest asking someone at your college (Program Coordinator/Administrator)  if they've had anyone previously apply as an MP with your particular course diploma, perhaps they could advise you if they were successful or not.  Humber is a CEGEP recognised college, however, your course may, or may not be.  Further to that, I suggest contacting your local CFRC and ask if your course is considered a "similar program" and fits under the MP trade requirement.

The personnel at CFRC Toronto were very knowledgeable about the MP trade, and provided me with great information and advice on my file.  I do NOT have a Police Foundations Diploma, rather, Law and Security Administration.  I can attest to the requirement not being limited to only a Police Foundations diploma, outside that, you should contact your CFRC.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

arushbhai said:
I live in Mississauga and thinking about joining the reserves. The only problem is, I wanted to join the Military police reserve which in my area, I have armour reserve. Do you think, It will help me become a cop? My goal is to get as much experience as possible from reserve so my resume looks good for police when I apply. I am taking criminal justice in humber college. Its a degree program. What are your thoughts? Am I doing it right so far? Should I go ahead and apply for Reserves? even though the one I wanted to join doesnt exist in my area

Experience in the Reserve, regardless of trade, will benefit you in applying for a career in policing.  I know quite a few Infantry reservists who are now police officers, so you needn't worry.

If you plan on joining the military just to use it as a stepping stone to the police then I would suggest you not join. This sour point with me because I have witnessed many soldiers come and go with the same intent as you, and waste everyone's time and money.
  Also I find in these type of situations, they generally make poor soldiers and even worse team players and thus don't do well in the military, and the police usually pickup on this trait and don't hire them. Keep in mind that because of the large amount of former service personal in the police world they won't look at a couple of years in the reserves as a huge achomplishment like they would a couple of operational tours.

Join to serve your country, not personal gain.. If it happens great, but this military is built on selfless service.

Just my opinion; Cheers :cdn:

greydak said:
Also I find in these type of situations, they generally make poor soldiers and even worse team players and thus don't do well in the military, and the police usually pickup on this trait and don't hire them.

You may have an opinion about "these type" being "poor soldiers and even worse team players," but you're insinuating that having the Reserves on your resume is going to show up as a negative, and that's a load of bullshit.

You make it sound so "Go big or go home" and that's just not the case.

I'll say it again, if the CF didn't want to be "used as a stepping stone" they wouldn't advertise "we make a great stepping stone!"

My advice: Just try and be the best citizen you can be. Surround yourself with great people. You will get defered, maybe more than a few times, so enjoy life in the meantime.

greydak said:
I have witnessed many soldiers come and go with the same intent as you, and waste everyone's time and money.
  Also I find in these type of situations, they generally make poor soldiers and even worse team players and thus don't do well in the military, and the police usually pickup on this trait and don't hire them.

I don't mean to sound confrontational, but how do you know why the police don't hire them?

arushbhai said:
Do you think, It will help me become a cop? My goal is to get as much experience as possible from reserve so my resume looks good for police when I apply.

To the original poster.
Topic: "Military to Police Career":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/92660/post-917341.html#msg917341

ballz said:
You may have an opinion about "these type" being "poor soldiers and even worse team players," but you're insinuating that having the Reserves on your resume is going to show up as a negative, and that's a load of bullshit.

You make it sound so "Go big or go home" and that's just not the case.

I'll say it again, if the CF didn't want to be "used as a stepping stone" they wouldn't advertise "we make a great stepping stone!"

Simmer down there pal, First I didn't say the reserves is any kind of negative, only that tours would look better, have another read..

As for the "Go big or go home" theory of work ethic, whats wrong with that?

And I'll stand by my opinion that guys who use the CF for their personal benefit are a "load of bullshit" as you so eloquently put it

greydak said:
I'll stand by my opinion that guys who use the CF for their personal benefit are a "load of bullshit" as you so eloquently put it

Doesn't every soldier use the CF for their own personal benefit?

They all get paid right?

(Just playing Devils Advocate  :p)

Searyn said:
Doesn't every soldier use the CF for their own personal benefit?

They all get paid right?

(Just playing Devils Advocate  :p)
+1

greydak said:
Simmer down there pal, First I didn't say the reserves is any kind of negative, only that tours would look better, have another read..

Talking about the people that use the Reserves as a stepping stone are generally poor soldiers and aren't team players and that "the police usually pickup on this trait and don't hire them" is where you implied that it's a negative thing, whether that was your intention or not.

Why would "tours would look better" matter if he shouldn't be joining just because of how it looks on his resume?

greydak said:
As for the "Go big or go home" theory of work ethic, whats wrong with that?

I wasn't even talking about work ethic. I am talking about the whole gung-ho attitude of joining the PRes to go on as many tours as possible and stay in for 25 - 30 years. IMO, there are problems with somebody telling a potential recruit not to join "just" for a stepping stone. Someone that is doing a degree and plans on joining a police force and wants to join the PRes in the meantime doesn't exactly come across as an unmotivated bag of hammers to me anyway. Whether he's there for 1 year or 4 years or 25 years is irrelevant if he's useful during those time spans.

Back