• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

what about if you want to go to RMC?  I'm starting grade 12 next year, and I'm turning 17 in Nov. (and they want you to apply in november)  So how does that work?

Jana said:
what about if you want to go to RMC?   I'm starting grade 12 next year, and I'm turning 17 in Nov. (and they want you to apply in november)   So how does that work?

Not to sure I understand your question really, but you'll be able to join. Now that I think of it your allowed to join the regulars at the age of 17 - just keep in mind you wont be going anywhere until your 18.

cool, thanks!

well my question was... if you want to go to rmc, you're doint the ROTP right so you'd be joining reg.  but if they want us to apply in november, i'll have maybe just turned 17 depending on when i go in nov.  but you answered my question, thanks

Hi all, my name is Kyle and I'm 18 yrs old. I'm from Port Colborne Ontario..

For the past 6 months I've wanted to join the army, I wanna join as an Infantryman but due to having a boxing career that I plan to pursue, I don't wanna join Regular Force and since I've read what the Reserves are, I think that'd work out better. So, I have a few questions regarding the reserves.

Do reservists go to BMQ in Quebec still for 13 weeks? (or however long it is..) or to the unit closest to you?

The closest reserve unit to me is in St. Catharines, only 15-20 minutes away. If you go to the nearest unit closest to you, how does that work? Do you still stay there everyday until BMQ is done or come home and then go back the next day?

And also for reservists, what happens after BMQ? Where do they go from here?

Appreciate your answers......

Hello Samurai,

Welcome to the Army.ca boards.

All of your questions can be answered via the search function. Type in "reserves" and "BMQ" and a plethora of information will be at your fingertips.

However, as a member of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment (The reserve unit that is close to you in St. Catharines), I can help you out with getting in touch with the unit recruiter, if you feel you want to join the CF.

We have "C" company in Welland, which is much closer to you then St. Catharines.

After you have done a search and still have questions "PM" me and I will try and help you out.

On my courses, a few of the guys have had a dip when we're sitting in class. I remember one guy on my LSVW course always had a pinch of chew in, and spit into the same bottle every day (he just emptied it and rinsed it out at night :p ). None of the staff or civi instructors seem to mind. But yeah, there are places where it would definitely be inappropriate, and you'll figure those out quick in the military.

Whatever you do, don't hide your dip cup in a dresser drawer, and hope your IC/ 2IC doesn't open that drawer on inspection. This happened to one of my roomates, and there was a nice little trail of spittle across the floor, and a big splash where the cup somehow missed the garbage can when the MCpl was kind enough to help my roomate by getting his garbage to the can for him. Not a fun cleanup.

I realize questions of this nature probably come by here a lot, so thanks in advance for helping me with my concerns.

I am currently in Grade 12 and live in Winnipeg. I was speaking with a friend of mine who applied to join the reserves last month and he really piqued my interest. I've done some research but I am looking for a bit more information.

Firstly, I am in Grade 12 and at the moment finishing high school strongly is my main priority, with university applications and scholarships becoming more of an issue. Is it possible to commit fully to school and the Reserves as well? Those who have done this, how did it go for you?
What are the hours like, I hear that it is one night per week and one weekend per month, what exactly does "weekend per month" mean?

Are all possibly military trades and specialities available to somebody who is interested at this age? How does specializing go?

What sort of additional materials do I require for my application? I have heard that I require references, how many do I require?

Ingmundar said:
Is it possible to commit fully to school and the Reserves as well?

No it has never been done before..

You are not the first person to ask this question, or anything else about being in the Reserves and school.. search and you will have lots of info on everything you want to know and more.

Ingmundar said:
I realize questions of this nature probably come by here a lot, so thanks in advance for helping me with my concerns.

I am currently in Grade 12 and live in Winnipeg. I was speaking with a friend of mine who applied to join the reserves last month and he really piqued my interest. I've done some research but I am looking for a bit more information.

Firstly, I am in Grade 12 and at the moment finishing high school strongly is my main priority, with university applications and scholarships becoming more of an issue. Is it possible to commit fully to school and the Reserves as well? Those who have done this, how did it go for you?
What are the hours like, I hear that it is one night per week and one weekend per month, what exactly does "weekend per month" mean?

Are all possibly military trades and specialities available to somebody who is interested at this age? How does specializing go?

What sort of additional materials do I require for my application? I have heard that I require references, how many do I require?
1. Yes, if you have time management skills, you may be able to balance high school and the reserves.

No, not all military trades are available to you. Many have specific requirements that a high schooler does not have - you can find requirements at www.forces.ca.

Your application consists of tons of paperwork to be filled out, 5 references you've known for 5 years (not including family members), an aptitude test, an interview, medical exam, and fitness test.

All of this information is on www.forces.ca, and in other threads on this message board. Check there for more info.

I live in missisauga and i currently dont have any car. How do i get to the base, i know there is one in oakville and one in brampton (both infantry) they are both atleast 2 hours away from where i live. Does army provide special bus service for its members to reach the base? for example, providing a bus service from square one, mississauga? or providing a bus service from Union station, Toronto? because i know a lot of people who want to join the reserve but transportation is the only hurdle. I am a student and I also work. Well, I can make some changes in my work schedule but i still think 4 hours (reaching and comingback) is a lot oftime. Can someone aware me of any special bus services or anything? Thanks. Oh btw this is my first post and ill start contibuting to this forum from nowon. Thanks guys

The Toronto Scottish Regiment may be your best bet, they're close to Mississauga, and close to transit.

http://tsrpd.com/tsr/where-we-meet.html

arushbhai said:
I live in missisauga and i currently dont have any car. How do i get to the base, i know there is one in oakville and one in brampton (both infantry) they are both atleast 2 hours away from where i live. Does army provide special bus service for its members to reach the base? for example, providing a bus service from square one, mississauga? or providing a bus service from Union station, Toronto? because i know a lot of people who want to join the reserve but transportation is the only hurdle. I am a student and I also work. Well, I can make some changes in my work schedule but i still think 4 hours (reaching and comingback) is a lot oftime. Can someone aware me of any special bus services or anything? Thanks. Oh btw this is my first post and ill start contibuting to this forum from nowon. Thanks guys

It's been 25 years since I've been a member of the Toronto Garrison, but all those years ago, there were at least 38 reserve units in the Toronto area, the vast majority of which were easily accessible by the TTC.  We certainly had members in my unit who lived in Mississauga and travelled by TTC/GO Train to get to the unit.  The Bathurst street car runs directly from Bathurst Station to Fort York Armoury and HMCS YORK.

So these are the 2 closest reserve units near my house.
2 Chapel Street Brampton, Ontario its an infantry Unit
and
90 Thomas Street, Oakville, its also an infantry unit
I live near square one, mississauga, im sure most of you know whre it is.

There used to be an armoury in Missisauga as part of the Lorne Scots.  It was a rented facility east off of  dundas, just south of the QEW.  Is it gone?  Last time I was there was in 2008....

hey treehugger thanksfor the reply, can you please tell me more about this unit. I checked canadian reserve website and many other links but did notfind any armoury unit in mississaug, please help me out bro. thnks

PMedMoe said:
I found this:

75th Coy, Toronto Scottish Regiment
3330 Ridgeway Drive, Units 1&2
Mississauga, Ontario
L5L 5Z9

on this website:  http://canadian-forces.blogspot.com/

Also, The Lorne Scots website here:  http://www.lornescots.ca/army/default.htm  There doesn't seem to be an armoury in Mississauga.

Google is your friend.  :nod:
hey i cant find their unt in mississauga. I did find out about infantry unit in oakville but its extremely far from my house. how come they dont have the mississauga unit in their official website

Back