• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question RE: IR Postings

Adamant

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day all,

According to the Relocation Directive for FY 08/09 (http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/download_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=99&docid=165) the max time allowed for a member to remain on IR is 6 months (or until move of F&E is complete). 

I have looked through the forums and come across anecdotal evidence of people remaining IR for longer periods (8 months).  I am going to be posted for a course in a few months and will be going IR as my wife is still in school, and my daughter will be starting school soon.  ( I fully realize the moving aspect of the forces, however, I don't want to move the munchkin twice in a year should I fail the course )

My question is: Can anyone confirm whether or not one can remain on IR longer than the 6 months as dictated by the directive?

Adamant

Per se, IRs can last a whole lot longer.  I have seen individuals who have been on IR for 1 year - followed by two one year extensions.
But after that time, you're time is up and no more IRs for you... at that location.

Best to go through your chain of command/supervisor to co-ord with the career manager.  Under certain conditions, with the agreement of the CO and the Career shop, there can be longer periods of IR permitted, but they are exceptions versus the rules.  Examples of CF pers proceeding on a year-long course is one example.  Personally, I've had a posting on IR for more than a year, and other cases where my family moved with me for a year-long course; there is a wide variety of possibilities out there.  Your unit OR is a good place to start asking Q's.

Cheers
G2G

Precedence has been set for IR postings lasting upwards of 3 years.  There is no restriction on IR's as of recent times - all apart of quality of life and all.

Going on course will be a no-brainer - families are left in-situ on an ongoing basis. 

IRP does not set a time limit on how long a member can be on IR, read it again.  You request to be placed on IR through your CoC to your career manager and when you are ready to move DF&E you have to request through your CoC to your career manager to be taken off IR.  IRP requires this lifting of IR to move your stuff.

My Corps RSM is the one who authorized my IR.. posted to Val IR in 2007, valid until 2009.  I moved from Val to Montreal still IR and am finishing it here.  As needed, I can push memos up to have it extended.

Bzzliteyr said:
My Corps RSM is the one who authorized my IR.. posted to Val IR in 2007, valid until 2009.  I moved from Val to Montreal still IR and am finishing it here.  As needed, I can push memos up to have it extended.

Authorized?I would like to see that one.  I would think that it was he gave his blessing but I can't see how an RSM can authorize it as they are done through the career shops.

IRs can last a long time - as long as the career shop is willing to play along with it.  Longest one I know of was 8 years.

hmm.. let me see if I can dig up the memo.

Duh.  All my army stuff is at the other house.. cancel that.

Could it be that he had to get thumbs up from his RSM who made the call to the career shop to tee up the IR?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Could it be that he had to get thumbs up from his RSM who made the call to the career shop to tee up the IR?

For an NCM, yes, very likely the situation.  On the officer side, it would be an OC or CO giving the auth for DIRLAUTH with the CM.

Bonus, thanks for the info.  I was sure I'd heard of it. 

I guess it's off to the OR with me...

Dolphin_Hunter said:

yes - that is what is meant by giving his blessing.

SupersonicMax said:
Or the Adj.  My Adj handled my IR stuff.

Max
the Adj could handle the stuff but he/she would get the blessings of the RSM/CO.

If you do get an IR approved be sure to note how long it is for and request extensions if needed.  Had a case I picked up where a member continued on IR for 5 years without any approval from the career shop.  They just assumed it continued as long as they wanted and the clerk processing the claims never checked for approval.  Don't know what the final result was as I left before it was settled but there was talk of him paying back the 4 years that were not approved.

My current posting message has me on IR until 2010.  Arranged courtesy of CM.

Sorry, in reference to "expiration date" of IR.. it's usually written on a members posting message if I remember.. that's where mine was.

Bzzliteyr said:
Sorry, in reference to "expiration date" of IR.. it's usually written on a members posting message if I remember.. that's where mine was.

Thank you - fully aware of it - that is why I picked up that mbr did not have approval for his IR past the first year and recommended that mbrs note how long their IR is. Too many people I talk to assume or have been told that it is automatically extended as long as they don't move thier family. People are not happy when us clerks tell them that we can not approve thier claim as they do not have any authority for IR. Great thing about being a clerk - we tend not to pay for our mistakes, we pay for others.

From my posting message:

"IR to remain in effeft until 15 Jul 2011 or earlier provided that the member contacts career manager, through URS, to request IR be lifted"

I guess when they moved me down to Montreal they "updated" my IR and extended it...  I was sure it was to expire next year.

Back