• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question for you guys! - "Why did you choose Armour?"

patt

Inactive
Reaction score
since there are a few armour soldiers on this board i wanted to know why did you choose this occupation over anything else?

(Edited by Moderator to clarify thread subject.)

There are some veteran crewmen with lots more experience than me on this site but I'll throw in my bit.

What I loved most about being Armoured (both tank and recce) was being in an Armoured Fighting Vehicle crew.  A crew is a tightly knit team, and an AFV is a great piece of kit.  Each man in the crew has to do his job or the whole vehicle is ineffective.  When the crew is working as a team the vehicle can do great things.  The crew works and plays hard but we also like our comforts if we can do it.  You have some independance and individual responsibility.  When you are in recce you have even more.  Crews tend to be a little informal, especially after you've been working together in the field.

I suppose we share some things in common with the infantry and other branches that use AFVs, but to me it is the vehicle crew outlook of the Armoured Corps that makes us a little different.

On operations the recce crews will spend a huge amount of their time away from the camp, usually in OPs or operating out of remote forward operating bases.  Recce Troops tend to get a wide variety of tasks (not that other branches do not).  Recce Troops are in in pretty high demand on deployments so you get a fairly high tempo.

Cheers,

2B

Bruce Monkhouse said:
.....cause they couldn't be Arty........ ;D

Hey Bruce, if your the one holding a Taser, you can press it against yourself and pull the trigger and you won't get shocked...Honest....

Light Armoured Recce, is very fast paced with the need to Multi task to get the job done.

As I Recall it takes at least 7 years of training to fully understand everything about Recce.
Even after that there is continual upgrading. 

If you like to keep active both Mentally and Physically; this is one of the Trades for you.

Ben

after being a grunt and not really  enjoying it I went a support trade. then I was posted to armoured unit.  I can see why  they  like it.  they drive into battle, lots of protection compared to a grunt.  reach out and touch long ways off, then speed off for another kill. get  the black beret.

lots of equipment to learn. all depends what  you want out of your trade and career.
not saying a being anything else in the army is easier but being a crewman is tough work and very rewarding.

2Bravo already touched on the fact that crews work so close together, and you become very tight knit.

To me, it was the shock of seeing (and hearing) a Centurion tank firing while my father was posted to Petawawa in the 60's.  There is absolutely nothing like firing sabot down range, and seeing the awesome destruction it is capable of.  I have never regretted joining the armour, and I will never forget the friends I have made within the family.  Yes, we in the Armour refer to the Corps as family.

I know we (Canadians) will probably  never again see hundreds of tanks massed together as part of a exercise involving a dozen armour divisions, but it is a sight that will never be forgotten by those who have seen it.  Tanks are, simply, impressive in every way, shape and form, especially when crewed by a good crew, and commanded by competent leaders.

Alas, the tank is a dying breed in Canada's Forces. 

I can keep this short I went 011 due to being colour blind and at the time I was invited in to the Capt office and he pointed to a M-109 and siad YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE A TRUCK BUT!!!! YOU CAN DRIVE A TANK!!!!and the rest is History

Willie

Frankly, I'm still caught up in the process and hoping to start BMQ Nov. 25 but I know everything will go smooth because I'm a "clean applicant" but anyway, Armoured RECCE was the most appealing to me because it involved brains and braun. In the long run I'm hoping to graduate university (1st year currently), do a component transfer into the Reg force as an officer, and go Dragoons.

Through the mud and the blood to the green fields beyond!

:soldier:

Well I've been away for a while, and would like to add my 2 cents. I've joined as Armour Recce originally due to the fact that it appealed most to me. I love to drive around in the G-Wagons and, Iltis a short while ago. The whole aspect of Armour Recce is quite the adrenaline rush I believe.

In a year or so I plan on going Reg. force as a Dragoon. My sisters boyfriend is a Dragoon and he absolutely loves it. The Coyote is an amazing piece of kit according to him and I can't wait to be able to operate one of those.

Aside from all that, I personally found that Armour and Armour Recce soldiers of all ranks were more, I don't really know how to put it, Intimidating I guess. As I went through my 3's I watched the instructors and people from other regiments how they acted and presented themselves, and Armour guys just seemed to be more approachable. They work hard and are serious when need be, but then again they know how to have a good time and have some sense of humour. Part of the reason why I want to be RCD in the next year or 2.

Well right now I am reserve Infantry, and I plan on going Reg Force Armoured Recce because it is a very appealing job to me, because recce is something that is a challenge but can be very fun.

I chose Armour because I wanted to serve on Leopards. I enrolled Dec. 9, 1999 and have since become Triple qualified on the Coyote, can drive any soft skin vehicle in the Corps (Exept HL) Ironically, I never got anywhere near the big Leo's.  I got to look down the Regimental lines from Recce Sqn's hangar and occasionally see them out on the pad, but thats about it.  :crybaby:

I'm very seriously thinking about armoured recce. At first I thought medic because of my buddy, but then I thought that I'd rather be in on the action that just patching things up afterwards.

>:D 

There is no better job in the entire Canadian Armed Forces than to be a recce troop leader, especially in the advance.

DG

DG-41 said:
There is no better job in the entire Canadian Armed Forces than to be a recce troop leader, especially in the advance.

DG

As opposed to a Tactical Withdrawl ;)

Ben

Back