• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

question concerning recruitment and failing a course

Barek

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm almost finished by 3 year Computer Science diploma. In my last semester. But due to the heavy workload of having to do a project for an external client that would put me back 1 1/2 years if I failed it. I am currently failing 2 other courses that I will most likely need to retake come this fall. I was wondering whether the CF will wait for me to finish the courses without me having to reapply. Also, as they are currently offering a signing bonus to Sig Op recruits with they're diploma, would failing those courses hurt my chances of getting that signing bonus? I understand the material, have good test marks, but couldn't get the homework in on time and a late is considered a zero.

i think its pretty self explanatory don't you ?  If they give a signing bonus to recruits with a diploma and you dont have one ( because you failed the required courses) , you wont get said signing bonus.  Think about it for a second.

Barek said:
I'm almost finished by 3 year Computer Science diploma. In my last semester. But due to the heavy workload of having to do a project for an external client that would put me back 1 1/2 years if I failed it. I am currently failing 2 other courses that I will most likely need to retake come this fall. I was wondering whether the CF will wait for me to finish the courses without me having to reapply. Also, as they are currently offering a signing bonus to Sig Op recruits with they're diploma, would failing those courses hurt my chances of getting that signing bonus? I understand the material, have good test marks, but couldn't get the homework in on time and a late is considered a zero.

Excuse me, but the CF is not offering a signing bonus to people with computer diplomas for Sig Op..  We tried that route and it failed miserably.  To get a signing bonus as a Sig Op you must be a ex-regular force or reserve force QL 5 qualified Sig Op.

To get a signing bonus as a Sig Op you must be a ex-regular force or reserve force QL 5 qualified Sig Op.

Well, looking at the website this is what I've found which seems to include new recruits with a post-secondary diploma.

Designed to attract skilled personnel to understrength occupations, the allowances are divided into three categories: post-secondary diploma or certificate NCMs ($10,000 signing bonus), civilian trade-qualified NCMs ($20,000 signing bonus) and MOC-qualified NCMs ($20,000 signing bonus).

The allowances apply to new enrollees, re-enrollees and Reserve Force members who receive a component transfer into one of the Army target occupations:

215 Signal Operator

aesop081
I figure that since I don't have the diploma that I wouldn't get the signing bonus. I'm really wondering whether the CF will wait the extra 4 months for me to get it and that because I failed those courses the first time, though I can take them again and without the project to do easily get them done, that I can still get the signing bonus when I do get in after completing the diploma.

I don't care a whole lot about the money. Even if the CF wasn't offering a signing bonus I would still be applying. I'm not even 100% sure right now that Sig Op is what I want and that maybe I should be going Infantry,which offers no bonus. I want to serve and am determined to do so. But I would like to finish my diploma so that those 3 years put into it aren't a waste and if the CF is offering a 10,000 signing bonus that would pay for half of my school debt in an area of study that can benefit them.

Barek said:
Well, looking at the website this is what I've found which seems to include new recruits with a post-secondary diploma.

As the list of understrength occupations varies occasionally, please consult your recruiter for the latest information.  Now you have the latest news.

You my friend are possibly the most sarcastic human being I've ever met, are you like this in the flesh  ;D

Island Ryhno said:
You my friend are possibly the most sarcastic human being I've ever met, are you like this in the flesh   ;D

What?  Who me?  ::) I sometimes react differntly to different types of people.  My wife sometimes thinks I can be a little too brutal.
>:D

I'm all about bro, too much GD nonsense goes on sometimes, it's nice to see people told how it is, end of question.

Not brutal enough if you ask me  >:D - silly questions deserve silly answers. Questions which can be answered by looking at FAQs or searching through previously-published threads shouldn't be answered at all! A colossal waste of time should be treated as just that. Frankly laziness should not be rewarded. Some of the questions he is asked to answer are as dull as a sack of hammers. :evil:

I believe it's a legitimate question to ask if the CF is going wait for me to finish my schooling and seeing as I read a good deal of these forums daily I wouldn't consider myself lazy.  Pulling multiple all-nighters in a row to complete work that is due. As for schooling, doing 18-20 hour days of computer work is not suggested for someone who has had laser eye surgery. One of the reasons that I have to wait an extra 2-3 months for my eyes to heal because I have been spending too much time infront of my computer doing schoolwork. 

I have run searches and just never came across the specific answer to my question. I did get ahold of my recruiter this afternoon who gladly answered all my questions, but I was not able to get ahold of him before this date I figured I would ask here as there are generally knowledgable helpful people around.  But seeing as you like to read silly posts pronto and give off snide remarks, maybe I could assume as much as you assume of me that you are indeed as lazy ,if not more so than I, to have the time to come up with snide remarks to people who have legitimate questions concerning their future that they choose not to make hasty decisions based on assumptions.

I agree that with more searching I probably could have found what I was looking for. But the amount of forums I have read, specifically in the Recruiting and Signals section, and not seen the answer to this question that it would be definitely easier to reask the question, have it answered quickly and have the post drift off into the sunset.

But the lesson is learned. Wait for the recruiter, as smart ass comments will come up in relation to people trying to discover the truth behind assumptions. I had heard that the CF would wait for me to receive my diploma, but I was hoping someone who had previously had the same experience would know whether they would wait and whether having any failing grades, even for a time as once the course is retaken the old marks are replaced, will deny my chances of a bonus. At least when other people have asked silly questions the worst they got was "talk to the recruiter as we cannot answer that question here". Fair enough, no need to continue on and on. And pronto, wasted time would be continuing this conversation along with your amazing experience of 9 posts on this site giving you massive experience in dealing with the questions asked on this site.

kincanuck, no probs for your answer to asking my recruiter, it wasn't brutal at all. Simple and to the point. I just don't like being harped on by people who have nothing better to do by people such as pronto. Thanks for taking the time to at least pointing me to someone who can answer my question.

pronto said:
Not brutal enough if you ask me   >:D - silly questions deserve silly answers. Questions which can be answered by looking at FAQs or searching through previously-published threads shouldn't be answered at all! A colossal waste of time should be treated as just that. Frankly laziness should not be rewarded. Some of the questions he is asked to answer are as dull as a sack of hammers. :evil:

Give the guy a break, he needed some answers to his questions that were legitimate and to the point. It's fine that you think that his questions are "as dull as a sack of hammers" but you're not exactly helping him by giving your smart a*s opinion.

A couple of things here folks, my comment was for Kincanucks, not anyone else. Barek also stated in his post that he has read a lot of the posts on here and is familiar with the board. Well anyone reading through the recruiting boards would notice that Kincanucks IS a recruiter currently and thus knows wtf he is talking about. Barek asked a question to get an answer from someone in the know, the answer was given by someone in the know but that wasn't good enough, he had to refute it with his own evidence. If you come on this board and ask for help or answers to questions and they are given to you by experts, then accept them. If you do not like their answers or don't believe them then don't ask.

Interesting comment on experience - If you have 11 posts you are more experienced than 9 - gee every journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step... I suspect this board isn't really for me 'cause I am not likely to get to 400!

However, I really think you'll find (if and when you get in), that there is a not a lot of patience with people just asking rather than doing research, thinking things through, asking their peers, etc. rather than just running to the boss and asking. (in this respect, Kincanucks is an authoritative source - not a peer) I speak from experience. I have been the one asking - and the one asked. I remember one warrant officer who called me the "sack of hammers", frankly - I was intellectually lazy and deserved it. I never made the mistake again, and my career progressed faster because of it.

All in all, I prefer my staff to ask as a last resort. They then "own" the solution.

ROTP Civi U thanks for the vote of confidence.

Fine, I asked some silly questions, and I did refute Kincanucks response. But only to a point. I asked for clarification and seeing as I cannot read every post on here and keep track of whom has what occupation, Kincanucks was not to my knowledge a recruiter. I was refering to the source that I was told to look at by recruiters. Better to ask for clarification then to assume you know the answer and look like an ass for screwing up when the problem could be avoided with a simple question. I'm pretty sure forums are for discussion. Give a civvie guy a break for trying to get up to speed and figure out his career. I've been on both sides before too, asking and answering. But this is a new area for me, and none of us are perfect at something new. You can never learn anything without someone having asked someone else at some point. Human discussion, by spoken or written word, is the basis for communication. So I would say that research includes both verbal and written words. But I guess, I should never ask the "boss" anything as that would be lazy to get the most authorative answer from the readily available source. Funny, how my boss on the farm expects questions so that we can learn how he runs his farm, which is his livelihood, and my work has a direct impact on how well the farm runs, and doesn't mind at all when we ask questions or the times when we make a decision. But what he really hates is when we make an uninformed decision when we could have asked, albeit a seemingly stupid question, but not so stupid when it can determine whether the equipment breaks or we cut the right field at the right time. He encourages us to participate by asking questions to learn first-hand from his wealth of experience. I know that this is different in the military with the command structure. But I'm not in the army yet. So, I will continute to research as I have been, reading these forums and talking to my recruiter and other military folks I know when I can.

Live and learn, as they say.

Back