• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about age & joining

Good for you. You can enrol up to age 55. Reserves are just that part time , but fun Regular Forces have alot of opportunities..

Good Luck

There were people in my Basic who were in their mid-40s. 

Don't worry about your age.I am in the same boat.
Just be patient during recruiting process (nobody knows how many months it can take for you), pay attention at fitness- be in shape.
Motivation is big point.
If you are married talk to your wife, kids becuse it is big decision.

I am 16 years old and am in grade 11 in Toronto. I would like to join the 32 combat engineers and was wondering if this would be possible?

The requirement age to join up went up earlier this year to 17 years old.  You'll have to wait a little while longer my friend. 

Edit for typo

frank1515 said:
The requirement age to join up went up earlier this year to 17 years old.  You'll have to wait a little while longer my friend. 

Edit for typo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it always been 17 yrs with parental consent? I know it was when I joined in the early 80's

To be eligible for enrollment in the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following minimal conditions:
- be a Canadian citizen
- be 17 years of age or older (Note 1) (if you are under 18 years of age, you will require parental/guardian consent)
- have successfully completed grade 10 - Secondary III in Quebec (Note 2)

Notes:
1) There are two exceptions. You may apply and be enrolled in the Reserves or as a Junior level Military College applicant at 16 years of age.
2) Some entry programs have additional academic prerequisites.

You may also be considered for enrollment in the Reserves if 16 and have not completed grade 10 if you remain in school until grade 10 is completed.

edited because sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own.

Gizmo 421 said:
Notes:
1) There are two exceptions. You may apply and be enrolled in the Reserves or as a Junior level Military College applicant at 16 years of age.
2) Some entry programs have additional academic prerequisites.

You may also be considered for enrollment in the Reserves if 16 and have not completed grade 10 if you remain in school until grade 10 is completed.

edited because sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own.
[/quote

No longer true.  CANFORGEN came out raising the restriction back to 17.

The age to join in 17. Used to be 16 for PRes, but that was changed IAW the following.

CANFORGEN 038/11 CMP 019/11 171252Z FEB 11
AMENDMENT TO MINIMUM ENROLMENT AGE DAOD 5002-1
UNCLASSIFIED

REF: DAOD 5002-1 ENROLMENT

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO AMEND THE POLICY AT REF REGARDING THE MINIMUM AGES FOR ENROLMENT IN THE CF. THIS AMENDMENT BROADENS THE SELECTION OF EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS UNDER WHICH AN APPLICANT MAY BE ENROLLED AT AGE 16. REF WILL BE MODIFIED IN DUE COURSE

THE MINIMUM AGE TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ENROLMENT VARIES. TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ENROLMENT IN THE REGULAR FORCE, AN APPLICANT IS REQUIRED TO HAVE REACHED:

AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR CIVILIAN UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE, OR

AGE 17 IN ALL OTHER CASES

IN THE RESERVE FORCE, AN APPLICANT MUST BE:

AGE 18, IF THE APPLICANT ENROLS IN THE COATS OR CANADIAN RANGERS

AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR OTHERWISE MAINTAINS FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS UNTIL AGE 17

AGE 17 IN ANY OTHER CASE

THE MINIMUM AGE FOR ENROLMENT IN THE SPECIAL FORCE IS AGE 17

THE CONSENT OF A CUSTODIAL PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN IS REQUIRED FOR THE ENROLMENT OF AN APPLICANT WHO IS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 ON THE DAY OF ENROLMENT

CDA HAS BEEN REQUESTED TO UNDERTAKE A REVIEW OF THE HIGH SCHOOL CO-OP INITIATIVE FOR P RES CANDIDATES TO ENSURE IT MEETS THE INTENT OF THIS POLICY AMENDMENT

DGMP/DHRD WILL CONDUCT A REVIEW OF THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR RESERVE SUMMER PROGRAMS, BLACK BEAR, RAVEN AND BOLD EAGLE, TO ENSURE THAT THEY REMAIN COMPLIANT WITH THIS POLICY

SIGNED BY RADM A. SMITH, CMP

Sorry for the late reply I am looking to join a primary reserve unit so there is no way I would be able to join at 16?

Andy_drew2 said:
Sorry for the late reply I am looking to join a primary reserve unit so there is no way I would be able to join at 16?

Have you tried reading the post just above yours ?

Would being in high school not count as a full time student?

yes, i just read the post above in more detail and wouldn't being in highschool count as being a full time student

Hey just as an update I went and talked ton the recruiter and he said I am eligible for enrollment even tho I am only 16 and I have begun the process woohooo!!! ;D ;D ;D

Andy_drew2 said:
Hey just as an update I went and talked ton the recruiter and he said I am eligible for enrollment even tho I am only 16 and I have begun the process woohooo!!! ;D ;D ;D
I wish you luck! I am going through the same process and I am finally at the end just waiting for some more recruits to start up a course. Well that is what I have been told by my file manager. Anyways best of luck

Hi everyone,

I know this may sound a bit crazy but I read in a thread that some people get processed before they turn 16 when joining the reserve and get sworn in when they turn 16. My birthday is on November 22 and I would turn 16 later this year but if I could do anything to speed up the process it would be great. Another reason why it would be great  is because I read that the next selection for Infantry was at the end of November and i'd very much like to make it in time for that selection..

Can any recruiter or someone that knows confirm this? I am in the GTA btw, considering QOR and 48th Highlanders.

Thanks!

I personally managed to start my application before I turned 16, mind you it would probally depend on the recruiters (at least you can get the main package done). I have heard of it happening when people get sworn in on the day they turn 16 but I never met anyone who has. For example it took me until I was 17 to get in (due to unforeseen circumstances at my recruiting center). I also believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the reserve units have intake numbers that vary between regiments so they don't have selection dates, only places to fill when a application comes in. So say they could have 12 places for infantry and 1 for supply tech. The first 12 people to start the infantry application and finish it will get those spots.
Hope this is helpful

Back