• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebec Tory Senator: Give murderers rope for their cells

exabedtech said:
Defining who should and who shouldn't receive the death penalty is easy if I simply ask "Should Bernardo get the death penalty".  I'd love the opportunity to shoot him, and i'm sure i'd have to take a number if the opportunity arose.

Of course that isn't the way it works.  We would have to define the parameters in legislation and then apply those parameters to the individual case.  At that point,  things get murkier.  After a while it may be tempting to change the parameters a bit after a high profile sadistic murderer escapes this penalty since his particular case does not, for whatever reason apply.  In any case, what exactly should those parameters be?  DNA found at the scene that matches?  I'm in and out of different homes all the time.  i'd have to work in a hazmat suit from now on to avoid leaving a hair in home where someone may be murdered in the future.

I really am a big fan of DNA evidence, but then again, what does it really prove?  It proves a person's DNA made it to the scene where it was found.  It doesn't say when or how it managed to get there.  A few years ago, I had to change a tire on a country road near St Albert AB.  As it turns out, A military mechanic had dumped his wife's body within 50m of where i'd pulled over just the day before. She wasn't found until he led police to her some while later on, but I easily could have left DNA evidence as well as evidence of having pulled over in a truck at that very scene.

It is an extremely rare event for an innocent man to be convicted of a capital crime, but it does happen and still happens.  Imagine your own child being wrongfully put to death over a set of bizarre coincidences.  When debating the death penalty, you cannot consider the criminals we already know about, you can only consider the set of criteria under which you would judge defendants in the future.

Keep trying, but you will not change my mind.

Column A:                                                                        Column B:
Murder Victims (millions of 'em);                      Convicted murders (craploads of 'em);       
No Trial;                                                      Trial(s) with presentation of evidence;
No DNA showing guilt;                                    Evidence of Guilt that is subject to their scrutiny and questioning;
No Statement;                                              Lawyers (usually paid for by taxpayer) opening and closing
No Opportunity to Defend Themself;                Can testify if they choose;
No Appeals;                                                  Endless Appeals again paid for by taxpayer;
DP carried out anyway;                                  I wish!!;
Every one of that 100% is innocent;                  99.99999% of them not innocent;
Lefties ignore them for Column B's rights.          Lefties fight for these guys' rights over everyone else's.

Eerily, arguing about their 'rights' in Column B won't be winning my conversion to your (their) cause anytime soon.

You argue for every opportunity that we DO give them and pay for, but NONE of which 'rights' they felt their victims deserved.

Yep, I'm all about 100% certainty ... and only one column has that number. See, it evens out in the end.  ;)

Container said:
The reliability of DNA and fingerprint evidence, when weighed objectively, is so dependable- it cannot be reasonably objected to- the standards are much higher than the United STates and their statistics have no place in our discussion- our DNA standard is thousands of time more reliable.

Yes, i'd agree that if they find your DNA at a scene.  Yes, they can determine very satisfactorily that it is in fact your DNA.  What is less certain is how and when it got there.  Again, simply saying 'go ahead and kill that one' because his DNA was at the scene may be pushing it just a bit.

ArmyVern said:

Column A:                                                                        Column B:
Murder Victims (millions of 'em);                      Convicted murders (craploads of 'em);       
No Trial;                                                      Trial(s) with presentation of evidence;
No DNA showing guilt;                                    Evidence of Guilt that is subject to their scrutiny and questioning;
No Statement;                                              Lawyers (usually paid for by taxpayer) opening and closing
No Appeals;                                                  Endless Appeals again paid for by taxpayer;
Every one of that 100% is innocent;                  99.99999% of them not innocent;
Lefties ignore them for Column B's rights.          Lefties fight for these guys' rights over everyone else's.

Eerily, arguing about their 'rights' in Column B won't be winning my conversion to your (their) cause anytime soon.

You argue for every opportunity that we DO give them and pay for, but NONE of which 'rights' they felt their victims deserved.

Yep, I'm all about 100% certainty ... and only one column has that number. See, it evens out in the end.  ;)

Hey, I'm not interested in changing anyone's mind.  Just debating a point.  Thank god we don't all have the same opinions, or debating would suck.

exabedtech said:
Yes, i'd agree that if they find your DNA at a scene.  Yes, they can determine very satisfactorily that it is in fact your DNA.  What is less certain is how and when it got there.  Again, simply saying 'go ahead and kill that one' because his DNA was at the scene may be pushing it just a bit.

Well I worked in forensics and in major cases management with DNA evidence on murder- I can tell you that your scenario that somebody would get the death penalty based off DNA at the scene haphazardly is laughable. I am intimately familiar with the protocols and methodology and I can say with certainty where the steps are taken to procure evidence properly your position is  "boogeyman" at best.

Canada is not the United States and their issues with regards to how they secure their samples are being addressed by adopting our protocols. Not the other way around.

ArmyVern said:

I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Container said:
Well I worked in forensics and in major cases management with DNA evidence on murder- I can tell you that your scenario that somebody would get the death penalty based off DNA at the scene haphazardly is laughable. I am intimately familiar with the protocols and methodology and I can say with certainty where the steps are taken to procure evidence properly your position is  "boogeyman" at best.

Canada is not the United States and their issues with regards to how they secure their samples are being addressed by adopting our protocols. Not the other way around.

And yet, if an error is made - for the system can be no more perfect than the least perfect component thereof - then potentially a completely innocent man has been killed by the state when true life without parole would have been just as effective in every principle of sentencing. This isn't an issue of the 'rights of murderers', but of the rights of innocents who are falsely convicted.

I simply do not, cannot, and will not trust the state we all criticize so heavily as being capable of being *that* perfectly, flawlessly infallible in this singular instance where our emotions are most engaged and our sensibilities run most rampant.  The crime of murder stems from the tragedy of the unjust early taking of an innocent life. How can even a risk of same be deemed an acceptable consequences?

Throw someone in jail for life with no hope of freedom and their life is just as effectively taken, but with the critically necessary provision made for the correction of error. And if they want to die, you bet your ass they'l find a way.

The only argument that favours capital punishment is that of pure revenge by society. I cannot deem that sufficient to overrule the inherent risk in deciding that we will make it the state's business to execute.

exabedtech said:

But that's exactly why they get a right to defense and a trial ... and appeal ... and appeal ... so go ahead and argue it then. Present your side and your exculpatory evidence, and your defense experts etc etc etc ...

At the end of the day, the jury believes you or they don't. Then all your appeals kick in. Years worth. Paid for using taxpayers money (some of which taxes are paid by the real victims' survivors).

Fair, impartial jury and trial. Right to appeal if you lose that trial.

Still lose? Sorry, but your victim lost years ago. It sure as hell is not "pushing it a bit" ... it's years later and you've had your trial, your appeals, your experts, testimony, yadda yadda yadda ...

NO ONE - despite what you keep arguing just goes "his hair is there, let 'em swing".  ::)

Brihard said:
And yet, if an error is made - for the system can be no more perfect than the least perfect component thereof - then potentially a completely innocent man has been killed by the state when true life without parole would have been just as effective in every principle of sentencing. This isn't an issue of the 'rights of murderers', but of the rights of innocents who are falsely convicted.

I simply do not, cannot, and will not trust the state we all criticize so heavily as being capable of being *that* perfectly, flawlessly infallible in this singular instance where our emotions are most engaged and our sensibilities run most rampant.  The crime of murder stems from the tragedy of the unjust early taking of an innocent life. How can even a risk of same be deemed an acceptable consequences?

Throw someone in jail for life with no hope of freedom and their life is just as effectively taken, but with the critically necessary provision made for the correction of error.
And if they want to die, you bet your ass they'l find a way.

The only argument that favours capital punishment is that of pure revenge by society. I cannot deem that sufficient to overrule the inherent risk in deciding that we will make it the state's business to execute.

I will, again, call bullshit on the yellow bit.  ::)

Oh, and as for the yellow italics ... word up: If life without parole actually meant LWOP, then not a single one of them would have the slightest interest in partaking in "the necessary correction of error" ... because they'd never get out to put it into practice!! Hell, they don't care about it now when they do know they'll get out again. Again, I cashed my reality check years ago.

Freed to kill again. Westley Allan Dodd would flat-out tell you the only way to stop him (a serial killer) is by killing him. He's certainly not the only one to state exactly that. I'll take their for it that you can't rehabilitate them precisely because they are the experts.

No, they don't do that Vern, but sometimes DNA is *small* part of the evidence, and others it is a *large* part of the evidence. I don't think simply having some sort of DNA evidence automatically should qualify you for the death penalty. Sometimes it proves a lot, sometimes it doesn't, but it's still part of the evidence presented, because it's part of the overall case.

As far I'm concerned, the jury declaring you guilty is the important part, not the evidence used (video, audio, DNA, etc). I think saying that "DNA evidence is the requirement for the death penalty" is basically the same thing as saying "if you are ABSOLUTELY positive he is guilty..." which we all know is a bad argument because you're always supposed to be ABSOLUTELY positive. I think it's the same argument because saying that a crime that doesn't have DNA evidence hasn't met the requirement for the death penalty, is basically saying that you aren't "absolutely positive" you didn't convict an innocent person when you didn't have DNA evidence, so you're just going to "play it safe" by not putting him/her to death.... just in case you were wrong, you know?

I'll reiterate, I think the the multiple crimes is a bigger factor than DNA evidence. If there's a .01% chance (hypothetical number, it's probably less) of being wrongfully convicted for murder, than there is a .0001% chance of being wrongfully convicted of TWO murders, and .000001% of three etc....

To me, if you can prove someone killed X amount of people, it doesn't matter what evidence you used, it's pretty much impossible it was a wrongful conviction. Close enough to impossible that I could sleep at night, anyway.

If an enemy grenade lands in the middle of the CP or casualty collection point and someone jumps on the grenade (committing suicide) they'll be lauded as a hero.

Flight of the intruder.  One of the pilots is surrounded by the enemy. He's pretty sure he's dying. He calls an airstrike down on himself (committing suicide). If anyone did that in real life we would call them a hero.

If I cross the road and I push a child out of the way of a bus knowing it's going to smite me, I'd be called a hero.

Is it such an evil notion, giving a serial rapist-murderer a rope and giving them a choice to hang themselves?
I'm not gonna call them a hero but it WOULD in all likely hood save some lives.

Sure sitting in jail the rest of their life is a good punishment, kinda, but if you're willing to forgo that bit of punishment and giving them an easy out  it means that they are off the streets permanently and money is going elsewhere than keeping them alive fed clothed cared for medically, educationally etc..

ballz said:
No, they don't do that Vern, but sometimes DNA is *small* part of the evidence, and others it is a *large* part of the evidence. I don't think simply having some sort of DNA evidence automatically should qualify you for the death penalty. Sometimes it proves a lot, sometimes it doesn't, but it's still part of the evidence presented, because it's part of the overall case.

As far I'm concerned, the jury declaring you guilty is the important part, not the evidence used (video, audio, DNA, etc). I think saying that "DNA evidence is the requirement for the death penalty" is basically the same thing as saying "if you are ABSOLUTELY positive he is guilty..." which we all know is a bad argument because you're always supposed to be ABSOLUTELY positive. I think it's the same argument because saying that a crime that doesn't have DNA evidence hasn't met the requirement for the death penalty, is basically saying that you aren't "absolutely positive" you didn't convict an innocent person when you didn't have DNA evidence, so you're just going to "play it safe" by not putting him/her to death.... just in case you were wrong, you know?

Perhaps you've missed all times where I've mentioned trial, presenting your evidence etc  ... IE Jury.

You must have also missed the part where I said I'm good with the DP only IF there IS DNA evidence --- I never said "to the exclusion of all other evidence". (And I even said for murders of children ... [not ALL murders -- which would REALLY be just "vengeful" of me]). Yes, thanks, I do know how it works and that it is all "part of the evidence".  ::)

I sleep well at night thanks; I'd sleep better if we brought back the DP. Don't like that factoid? Oh well.

Oh, and as for the yellow italics ... word up: If life without parole actually meant LWOP, then not a single one of them would have the slightest interest in partaking in "the necessary correction of error" ... because they'd never get out to put it into practice!! Hell, they don't care about it now when they do know they'll get out again. Again, I cashed my reality check years ago.

You're talking circles around yourself. The obvious answer here is that if they actually get a life without parole sentence- then don't waste any time or money on rehabilitative programming. Save it for those who WILL release- which is the vast majority of offenders, because we're talking about a new true life without parole as akin to what would be considered capital crimes. At the same time, take the current 'life sentence', rename it to the reality of '25 years', and preserve it for most of the serious crimes. I have no real problem with most people convicted of most crimes being released at some point- take a guy who murders at the age of 22, and he gets out at 47- I'm not too terribly bothered by that in many instances so long as proper risk assessments are done.

Rehabilitative programs are offered on the principle of risk/need/responsivity- an offender must be medium to high risk of reoffense without targeted treatment; they must have medium to high treatment needs in order to effect change; and the treatment must be delivered in a format that the offender will likely respond to. Someone who will be in jail for the rest of their natural life doesn't fit this, so you don't waste the time. Institute a new sentence of natural life without parole for some of the most heinous offences, and every effect we would wish to achieve with the death penalty would be achieved- and if we f*** it up, we can let the guy out. You can dig a dead dude up too, I suppose, but it gets you nowhere.

Freed to kill again. Westley Allan Dodd would flat-out tell you the only way to stop him (a serial killer) is by killing him. He's certainly not the only one to state exactly that. I'll take their for it that you can't rehabilitate them precisely because they are the experts.

Serial killers are also exceedingly rare. You don't formulate broad-based policy based on a very rare handful of exceptional cases at one far end of the bell curve. You'll recall that I said earlier I have no *philosophical* objection to capital punishment; some people simply deserve one round in the head and our species is better for it. But our system and government manage to screw everything else up on occasion. I can't accept that the difference between a true life without parole and execution (after a decade and millions of dollars of appeals) is worth the chance that we might someday execute an innocent man.  Someone spending the rest of their natural life in prison in segregation won't be out on the streets to murder again.

ArmyVern said:
Perhaps you've missed all times where I've mentioned trial, presenting your evidence etc  ... IE Jury.

No I haven't missed that point, but then why is DNA evidence the crown jewel that you're worried about? If they're guilty, then it's proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they are guilty, whether it was DNA evidence, video evidence, audio evidence, witness testiomy, etc., should be irrelevant... unless you're thinking along these lines

"that a crime that doesn't have DNA evidence hasn't met the requirement for the death penalty, is basically saying that you aren't "absolutely positive" you didn't convict an innocent person when you didn't have DNA evidence, so you're just going to "play it safe" by not putting him/her to death.... just in case you were wrong, you know?"

ArmyVern said:
You must have also missed the part where I said I'm good with the DP only IF there IS DNA evidence

No, I didn't miss that part, that's the part I don't agree with. DNA evidence is a type of evidence, it is not a "higher form" of evidence.

ArmyVern said:
I sleep well at night thanks; I'd sleep better if we brought back the DP. Don't like that factoid? Oh well.

I guess you missed the part where I've continually said we should bring back the DP then... that's the part I agree with you on.

ballz said:
No I haven't missed that point, but then why is DNA evidence the crown jewel that you're worried about? If they're guilty, then it's proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they are guilty, whether it was DNA evidence, video evidence, audio evidence, witness testiomy, etc., should be irrelevant... unless you're thinking along these lines

"that a crime that doesn't have DNA evidence hasn't met the requirement for the death penalty, is basically saying that you aren't "absolutely positive" you didn't convict an innocent person when you didn't have DNA evidence, so you're just going to "play it safe" by not putting him/her to death.... just in case you were wrong, you know?"

No, I didn't miss that part, that's the part I don't agree with. DNA evidence is a type of evidence, it is not a "higher form" of evidence.

I guess you missed the part where I've continually said we should bring back the DP then... that's the part I agree with you on.

Because it is one of those things that I'd need a finding of to go DP; as well as a finding that it was a child who was murdered.

Things like this are NORMAL.

Don't think so? Look south --- not all murders in Texas, California are DP eligible. And, I'm OK with that. I'd just have a couple more ticks that would have to be in that box too.

Sorry, but finding X's DNA in a raped & murdered child certainly IS a higher form of evidence than buddy's fingerprint on a glass in the room. Why, it's almost as good as having videotaped it to play for the eventual jury by this 'lil red-headed girls standards.

Brihard said:
You're talking circles around yourself. The obvious answer here is that if they actually get a life without parole sentence- then don't waste any time or money on rehabilitative programming. Save it for those who WILL release- which is the vast majority of offenders, because we're talking about a new true life without parole as akin to what would be considered capital crimes. At the same time, take the current 'life sentence', rename it to the reality of '25 years', and preserve it for most of the serious crimes. I have no real problem with most people convicted of most crimes being released at some point- take a guy who murders at the age of 22, and he gets out at 47- I'm not too terribly bothered by that in many instances so long as proper risk assessments are done.

Rehabilitative programs are offered on the principle of risk/need/responsivity- an offender must be medium to high risk of reoffense without targeted treatment; they must have medium to high treatment needs in order to effect change; and the treatment must be delivered in a format that the offender will likely respond to. Someone who will be in jail for the rest of their natural life doesn't fit this, so you don't waste the time. Institute a new sentence of natural life without parole for some of the most heinous offences, and every effect we would wish to achieve with the death penalty would be achieved- and if we f*** it up, we can let the guy out. You can dig a dead dude up too, I suppose, but it gets you nowhere.

Serial killers are also exceedingly rare. You don't formulate broad-based policy based on a very rare handful of exceptional cases at one far end of the bell curve. You'll recall that I said earlier I have no *philosophical* objection to capital punishment; some people simply deserve one round in the head and our species is better for it. But our system and government manage to screw everything else up on occasion. I can't accept that the difference between a true life without parole and execution (after a decade and millions of dollars of appeals) is worth the chance that we might someday execute an innocent man.  Someone spending the rest of their natural life in prison in segregation won't be out on the streets to murder again.

No, kill 'em. Killing them costs more? These tards are appealing these things continuously anyway and you are paying for those lawyers, meals etc as they spend their entire time behind bars appealing / filing this / filing that / getting uni degree this / degree that. Even without a DP. No, I do not believe it "saves" money giving them LWOP.

Oh, and you obviously don't read very well either ... I never advocated "broad-based policy based on a select group applied to everyone"; I stated that I am all for DP for child-murders when DNA also exists. A possible sentence for an especially heinous group. That's it, that's all.

ArmyVern said:
Because it is one of those things that I'd need a finding of to go DP; as well as a finding that it was a child who was murdered.

Things like this are NORMAL.

And I understand where you are coming from, but what you are asking (as a requirement) just brings in waaaay too many shades of grey.

ArmyVern said:
Sorry, but finding X's DNA in a raped & murdered child certainly IS a higher form of evidence than buddy's fingerprint on a glass in the room. Why, it's almost as good as having videotaped it to play for the eventual jury by this 'lil red-headed girls standards.

But, according to your "ticks in the box," finding buddy's fingerprint on a glass in the room (along with rest of the evidence proving him guilty) would be enough to qualify for the DP. All you are asking for is that there is DNA evidence *somewhere* on the evidence list that proves them guilty, not "a certain degree of DNA evidence." And of course, "a certain degree" would bring in even more grey...

More to the point, what if 10 people witness a heinous a crime but there is no DNA evidence? This guy doesn't qualify for the death penalty, but someone with no witnesses does because there was DNA involved? Okay, but wait, maybe you think 10 witnesses is "as good as" semen in a vagina.... what about 5? What about 2? Where do you draw all these lines? You can't, it's too grey.

This is why sentenced are based on whether or not you are guilty (black and white), and mitigating / aggravating circumstances. They are not based on "what degree/type of evidence" was used to prosecute you. If you are guilty, it doesn't matter what they used to prove it.

You will never hear a judge rule "you have been proven guilty, but I'm not sure the witness testimony is credible so I'll give you a lighter sentence," for the same reasons you will never hear "you have been proven guilty, and since the witness testimony was pretty convincing, I'm going to give you a harsher sentence."

EDIT: Oh sorry, let me change that out from "a fingerprint on a glass" to "buddy's hair was on the cupboard," just to make it clear that we're talking about DNA...

You'd better read it again.  ::)

I stated exactly where the DNA was, and the finger print and that doesn't mean there wouldn't be "other evidence" ... those two were specifically brought up in ref to your "DNA is just more evidence, it isn't higher."

It sure as hell can be!! It can be just like Mr Murderer was nice enough to videotape his crime ... and the jury will decide ... that's why they exist.

And to your query? Was it a kid the 10 witnessed murdered? Then you know my answer!! And, if out of 10 witnesses, at least one couldn't tell authorities where dude touched the kid, where the kid touched the due etc ... they ain't very good eyes-on witnesses!! DNA does not have to be the offenders, most people kick and scream and leave their DNA on offenders as evidence too despite gloves/condoms etc.

This scenario should never happen of course. 10 people sitting back and watching a kid get killed? They should be glad I'm not the Crown Prosecution ... or I'd charge them too!!

I am OK with that. Still. Just as I was yesterday and just as I will be tomorrow, next week etc.

You kids have a good night.  ;)

OH PS: Many judges have over-ruled (set aside) juries`verdicts of guilty. They can not, by law, set aside a juries finding of `not guilty`however.

It is not a question of finance, neither is it a question of morality. nobody is going to execute them nobody is going to tie them to a bed with "humane killing" (whats so humane about killing i will never understand) never the less a person who was born to this world have many choices and some people make very bad ones. there should be no second chance for rehab of convicted rapists/pedos/and murderers, they have made their choice be it of capital gain, or "personal pleasure", regardless these people made their choice and by giving them another choice we are allowing them to live as prisoners and scum as they are, or kill themselves understanding that they deserve it. there should be no halfway homes, nor paroles, nor second chances. these people did not give their victims a second chance, they did not show mercy. we do by not offing them right there and then. financially what the cost of housing them and feeding them will never come close to the profit CORCAN makes. Soviet labor camps made a profit of their prisoners. i am not saying we need to make goolags in Canada and treat them like slaves. but they as prisoners and still citizens of this nation need and must contribute to our society like everyone else. and if they choose not to, there will be a nice silky rope waiting for them at their cell, a home they made the choice to live in.
also reuse the ropes so to cut expenses. morally there is nothing wrong with taking your own life, after all it is your own, millions do it by eating garbage junk food every single day, clogging their fat hearts and die on a toilet,and yet McDonalds  is not outlawed?! let them have a choice between contribution and death. and enough of these halfway houses, and 20 year sentencing with parole after 5.

We are straying into a very deep moral issues with this thread.  Most people believe that democracy is at least in part defined by the freedoms with which we are given.  Why is it that we would stop someone from making the choice of death.  After having seen 3 uncles die from cancer, each of whom had at least a year of the downwards spiral, gradually losing bits of their dignity, I know for a fact I wouldn't want to go through that, nor would I want to subject my family to having to deal with seeing me deteriorate and require constant care.  As a result, I am a firm believer in euthanasia.  I suppose that it would be prudent to ensure that, in cases other than terminal illness, the person is mentally stable.

With regards to the death penalty, I do agree with it, but there must be some way to stipulate a more absolute certainty.  For instance, if one is convicted with all jurors in agreement, then during sentencing, he would be eligible to receive the death penalty.  Perhaps not that, but some legal mechanism which states that it is, in effect, as plain as day, we've got a confession or undeniable or incontrovertible proof that this one is guilty.  As Brad Swallows rightly pointed out, if we are able to go into another country and cause innocents to potentially die through some fault of our own while taking out a big bad guy, and accept it as the reality of war, then why is it so very different to have a similar risk here at home to protect the vast majority of people.  Where do we draw the distinction?

I wouldn't draw the line at child rape/murder, but rather any heinous crime.  For instance, the case referenced in the below link, or any case where an utter lack of humanity is present.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/1116081--neighbours-haunted-by-toronto-man-s-torture-in-their-midst

I also strongly agree that prison should be nothing short of hell, or at least maximum security prisons.  In order to be an effective deterrent, one must be deterred from the punishment.  The luxurious rights should be taken away, still having food and shelter and protection from other inmates, but no more than the are minimum.  A healthy diet, sanitary conditions.  That's it.

ArmyVern said:
No, kill 'em. Killing them costs more? These tards are appealing these things continuously anyway and you are paying for those lawyers, meals etc as they spend their entire time behind bars appealing / filing this / filing that / getting uni degree this / degree that. Even without a DP. No, I do not believe it "saves" money giving them LWOP.

You don't see in the context of this debate how arguing for *reducing* the appeals process for those sentenced to die is problematic? Even the current system allows for wrongful convictions. One need only look at the U.S. for ample precedent of men sentenced to die and later exonerated. Granted, most of those cases are somewhat dated and the exonerations have been because of evidentiary techniques now available at the initial investigation and trial- but errors are still made. I'm not arguing here that someone sentenced for a capital crime should get a paid education behind bard, or should be given vocational training. But to deny appeal that any other criminal gets? Utterly unconscionable.

A person who we decide the state will kill on our behalf in a judicial setting must get every opportunity to try to demonstrate their evidence. How the hell can it be otherwise? You. Can't. Take. Back. Execution. If there are points of law to be argued, evidence to be disputed- then it must be! In ANY case, never mind when a person's life is at stake! The small number of such cases makes the cost of such appeals a pittance in the grand scheme- and what dollar value are *you* going to place on determining whether we will execute a criminal or murder an innocent man? *Who* would you make throw that switch on someone who it turns out later has not done a crime because you consider it burdensome to allow them every opportunity to appeal their conviction and demonstrate their innocence?

You take these same pieces of shit, put them in jail until they die and provide them with only what they need to live and everything we could possibly legitimately need from a criminal justice system is served, but if we later find out the state was in error at least some remedy exists- you can let him out.

Oh, and you obviously don't read very well either ... I never advocated "broad-based policy based on a select group applied to everyone"; I stated that I am all for DP for child-murders when DNA also exists. A possible sentence for an especially heinous group. That's it, that's all.

When has a law, once written by the state, *not* faced attempts to slowly, incrementally extend it? How do you tell the parents of one murdered child that the murderer of *their* child doesn't get executed because the evidence just didn't quite hit the standard, when two months prior someone else was executed based on utterly sound evidence? How do you keep the politicians from screwing the whole thing up out of populist BS intended to get votes?

At the end of the day there is not an infallible system in human creation for determining guilt. Until a criminal justice system exists which has the ability to make that determination flawlessly, it is unjustifiable to risk murdering an innocent man because our bloodlust dictates that letting them die in prison is not enough. Everything we want to and need to see cna be accomplished by locking the son of a bitch away and throwing away the key.

Now, if a prisoner wishes to die? Let 'em. I support the right to die if one wishes. It's an inseparable part of having ultimate liberty over oneself as an individual. By all means give 'em the rope.

Back