• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebec sovereignty?

…and yet Alberta population growth lags Ontario, for example, by 318,000 people annually. There must be a reason why some people are willing to be productive in a place where costs may be higher, perhaps the reward is too? $1B of provincial annual GDP vs just $400M… 🤔

Percentages are fine and all, but absolutes also have a value…at least for 15,000,000 people.
318,000 annually? How many immigrants did the liberals plant in Ontario? Maybe that has something to do without rather than a choice by people.

But it is. There is no mistake.

You can't just wish away cultural differences. I know that's hard to believe in a country that has enshrined the lie of multiculturalism in its constitution, but it is what it is.
I beg to differ. That gap/riff on cultural differences as been build in the 60-80 buy political parties surfing on the anti-colonialism of the time. To acknowledge that, you might have to first understand why it's in the constitution and be a bit open minded. Move from the political realm, you could be surprise.

uhm the French?
I suspect we'd welcome the First Nations (and their land - energy and water) ) and the triangle formed by the US/Can Border to Richelieu River and the St Lawrence (plus Montreal)

But realistically Quebec by itself doesn't offer a lot other than headaches, and Independence from Canada would not bode well to then attempt to join us down here where they would be an insignificant voice, with a less than 2% say as opposed to what the Quebecers have now.

Anyone who had realistically looked at the issue has either come to an understanding it is unrealistic and simply done because they want to distract, Or isn't realistically looking at the situation.
I was referring to Alberta.

318,000 annually? How many immigrants did the liberals plant in Ontario? Maybe that has something to do without rather than a choice by people.
AB growth 188,000, ON growth 516,000, delta is 318,000. That’s all I was pointing out, the population growth difference between ON and AB. I have no breakdown data of the source of the growth in either (or any) province.

So you’re saying that 4.0% is such an amazing slam dunk of demographic awesomeness compare to a measly 3.6% of something 3-1/2 as large, that in just a few years, Alberta will be the productivity powerhouse of Canada to which all politically-minded aspirants will yield?

Sure. Got it.

Lol, okay Cathy Newman - why don't you tell me what I think about lobsters while you're at it.

1698338388470.png

Not sure what insecurity I may have tapped into by correcting an incorrect statement about the rates of population growth in provinces that has caused you to be so offended, but you should discuss it with your therapist. I don't have time to sooth your sensitivities.

I beg to differ. That gap/riff on cultural differences as been build in the 60-80 buy political parties surfing on the anti-colonialism of the time. To acknowledge that, you might have to first understand why it's in the constitution and be a bit open minded. Move from the political realm, you could be surprise.
Care to elaborate?

Not quite sure what you meant there.

FTFY

The elite is split on that and I would guess at the same 35% than the general population. They pley on emotion, so they have a bigger loud speaker.
I will argue that most of the working class separatists, see it as a strike vote, it's a tactic to extract more concessions from ROC, but they know that actually leaving might be very costly. Elites on the other hand start dreaming of power and fool themselves that they can do it.

I will argue that most of the working class separatists, see it as a strike vote, it's a tactic to extract more concessions from ROC, but they know that actually leaving might be very costly. Elites on the other hand start dreaming of power and fool themselves that they can do it.
Mostly agree for the working class but the Elite is way more divided then you think.

Care to elaborate?

Not quite sure what you meant there.
When to group of people are in a riff and the political/influencers loud speachers only point out ''les anglo'' or the ''franco'' instead of trying to resolve issue, you got the situations we have. Of course there's cultural differences, I would argue that les Québecois have more anglosaxon cultural influance then they realised and you might think. Iwould also argue that none are that far away or incompatible.

This thread is quite possibly the best argument in favour of independance I've ever come across.

A bunch of racist anglos who hate Quebec but apparently want to continue subjugating it?
I don't hate Quebec, or it's people. Spent decent amount of time in Montreal dating a girl there, and the only bad thing I have to say is on road quality/ the number of one way streets. Despite not speaking a lick of french I respect Canada's bilingualism, and have zero issue with my province (Ontario) committing resources to provide bilingual service.

That being said, is it "wanting to continue subjugating" to consider it absolute horseshit that Quebec doesn't seem to think it needs to return the favour? Policies like making it illegal for organizations like CNNEST to deal with employers in 50% of the counties official languages are just asking for legitimate dislike from the rest of the country.

people. Spent decent amount of time in Montreal dating a girl there, and the only bad thing I have to say is on road quality/ the number of one way streets
Montreal as a commonality with Paris. We like the city as much as the French like Paris 😜.

Here’s my thoughts on all that thread.

Québec as fought hard for it’s (read provincial) constitutional right. For a long time even the politicians did not understand why the f… the other provinces in Canada did not get it. At one point they just said “oh well, their bad”.

Alberta now fights the federal to keep them in their line. So now, you are criticising QC but in the same time, starting to do what you (the ROC) were supposed to do all along, which is to fight for your constitutional rights like QC do? How interesting it is! We are in a federation but I feel that we fought alone for a while. Even under the PQ governments they where saying “the other provinces can do what they want, but that’s our turf, so Ottawa, man you own business”.

Rant done.

Montreal as a commonality with Paris. We like the city as much as the French like Paris 😜.

Here’s my thoughts on all that thread.

Québec as fought hard for it’s (read provincial) constitutional right. For a long time even the politicians did not understand why the f… the other provinces in Canada did not get it. At one point they just said “oh well, their bad”.

Alberta now fights the federal to keep them in their line. So now, you are criticising QC but in the same time, starting to do what you (the ROC) were supposed to do all along, which is to fight for your constitutional rights like QC do? How interesting it is! We are in a federation but I feel that we fought alone for a while. Even under the PQ governments they where saying “the other provinces can do what they want, but that’s our turf, so Ottawa, man you own business”.

Rant done.
The other provinces in the past have hated the player (Qc), not the game (keeping the Feds from over-reaching down into provincial business). Now there’s some awakening after an unprecedented period of assumptive superiority and coercive behavior masked as virtuously caring for all…probably could do with more solidarity amongst the provinces.

Back