• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebec sovereignty?

What makes you think we'd be offered statehood?
Think Puerto Rico or Guam.
We could only wish they would do that! If say a Canadian province would get the same Puerto Rico deal! Damn sign me up fast. US don't think about it just send the paperwork. That deal would send say Alberta into the stratosphere! It would become one of richest districts in the world. No federal taxes on individuals. Plus just 4% corporate taxes if you export!

Construction workers would drive Rolls Royces to work, teachers in BMW's etc.

Is this an option because we should take it.

I suspect some of you won’t like that but, it won’t happens. It was made to show that Québec could do it, it was taken very lightly by the mainstream media and I suspect the level of support for it will not grow more. Furthermore more, a big chunk of the younger generation kind of don’t care much about that.

There’s not a great move to open that Pandora box. So sorry, but your stuck with us for a while 😜

Last edited:
I suspect some of you wo t like that but, it won’t happens. It as been made to show that Québec could do it, it was taken very lightly buy the mainstream media and I suspect the level of support for it will not grow more. Furthermore more, a big chunk of the younger generation kind don’t care much about that.

There’s not a great move to open that Pandora box. So sorry, but your stuck with us for a while 😜

Tigidou!! Encore la poutine!!

Losing their equalization payments would kill them as well.

A Quebec without Canada is like a Scotland without the UK. It will survive but the quality of life will drop.
Yes, and the souvrenist called that a needed sacrifice...

Ontario‘s population is growing faster than Alberta but slower than BC — but at least in the early years Ontario would be the centre of gravity.

Alberta had the highest population growth in Canada last year at 4%.

When it comes to balancing housing costs with economic opportunity, Alberta is by far the most attractive province. I don't believe this trend will be changing any time soon.

Alberta had the highest population growth in Canada last year at 4%.

When it comes to balancing housing costs with economic opportunity, Alberta is by far the most attractive province. I don't believe this trend will be changing any time soon.
…and yet Alberta population growth lags Ontario, for example, by 318,000 people annually. There must be a reason why some people are willing to be productive in a place where costs may be higher, perhaps the reward is too? $1B of provincial annual GDP vs just $400M… 🤔

Percentages are fine and all, but absolutes also have a value…at least for 15,000,000 people.

…and yet Alberta population growth lags Ontario, for example, by 318,000 people annually. There must be a reason why some people are willing to be productive in a place where costs may be higher, perhaps the reward is too? $1B of provincial annual GDP vs just $400M… 🤔

Percentages are fine and all, but absolutes also have a value…at least for 15,000,000 people.

Not sure what your point is supposed to be but the comment I was quoting was talking about population growth and how it would affect future voting power. If you're talking about population growth in terms of how it predicts overall voting power, the % absolutely means everything and the gross number means diddly squat.

You’re not considering vote efficiency. AB is an example of the CPC’s potential weak point of locking out the seats it will/may win with high % with numerically fewer seats than if it’s popular vote distribution was more evenly spread over a wider number of ridings. 188,000 more Albertans next year won’t give any more seats in 2025…Some of Ontario’s 516,000 May make a substantive difference. That’s why some may not buy into your ‘Alberta is by far the most attractive province.’ position.

You’re not considering vote efficiency. AB is an example of the CPC’s potential weak point of locking out the seats it will/may win with high % with numerically fewer seats than if it’s popular vote distribution was more evenly spread over a wider number of ridings. 188,000 more Albertans next year won’t give any more seats in 2025…Some of Ontario’s 516,000 May make a substantive difference. That’s why some may not buy into your ‘Alberta is by far the most attractive province.’ position.
Big reason for Quebec to want to leave.

We used to be 1 of 1 of Canada. Then 1 of 2 by the early 1800s, 1 of 3 by confederation, 1 of 4 by 1982, and now down to 1 of 5.

There's no other way to maintain or restore our political power. Even accepting mass migrants; they wouldn't really integrate and our power would be diluted internally anyway.

You’re not considering vote efficiency. AB is an example of the CPC’s potential weak point of locking out the seats it will/may win with high % with numerically fewer seats than if it’s popular vote distribution was more evenly spread over a wider number of ridings. 188,000 more Albertans next year won’t give any more seats in 2025…Some of Ontario’s 516,000 May make a substantive difference.

Voter-efficiency in a present day election has absolutely nothing to do with a conversation about how population growth trends affect long-term political influence.

The Constitution demands they redistribute seats every 10 years for a reason - population change and so the amount of representatives must change to reflect the population changes.

If one provinces rate of growth is faster than another, over the long-term, they will get more seats. Seats in the legislature are political power. You could have really shitty voter efficiency if the one region where you do win all the seats happens to have the most.

I'm not arguing about the merits of voter efficiency, I'm certainly not asserting that Alberta's population growth is going to result in a CPC victory next year - all of that is an irrelevant tangent from what I was commenting on.

That’s why some may not buy into your ‘Alberta is by far the most attractive province.’ position.

1. How does "voter-efficiency" provide evidence that against a "Alberta is by far the most attractive province" position? Do people consider "voter-efficiency" when they decide to move somewhere? How exactly does one tie voter-efficiency into a decision about where to move?

2. It's not my 'position.' Alberta outpacing on population growth is clearly demonstrated in the population trends over the past 15-25 years. I was simply commenting on why that appears to be the trend and why it probably won't be changing any time soon - the fact that it is the trend isn't really disputable.

2. It's not my 'position.' Alberta outpacing on population growth is clearly demonstrated in the population trends over the past 15-25 years. I was simply commenting on why that appears to be the trend and why it probably won't be changing any time soon - the fact that it is the trend isn't really disputable.
So you’re saying that 4.0% is such an amazing slam dunk of demographic awesomeness compare to a measly 3.6% of something 3-1/2 as large, that in just a few years, Alberta will be the productivity powerhouse of Canada to which all politically-minded aspirants will yield?

Sure. Got it.

Big reason for Quebec to want to leave.

We used to be 1 of 1 of Canada. Then 1 of 2 by the early 1800s, 1 of 3 by confederation, 1 of 4 by 1982, and now down to 1 of 5.

There's no other way to maintain or restore our political power. Even accepting mass migrants; they wouldn't really integrate and our power would be diluted internally anyway.
Right there is the problem. Quebec thinking it is 1 to 1 or 1 to 5. That should not even be a thing. Thinking it's them against us is root of mistake.

Right there is the problem. Quebec thinking it is 1 to 1 or 1 to 5. That should not even be a thing. Thinking it's them against us is root of mistake.
But it is. There is no mistake.

You can't just wish away cultural differences. I know that's hard to believe in a country that has enshrined the lie of multiculturalism in its constitution, but it is what it is.

Reactions: QV
Still no value in Quebec for us.
Alberta however, is a different story (we like oil), we could cal it North Montana ;)
Energy, Ag, forestry, manufacturing, young demographic comparatively, skilled workforce, mountains, prairie, boreal forest, water. What's not to like?

Everytime this happens I see statements like this from the PQ and at first I wonder what kind of drugs they're on.
And then I have a slightly more sober thought all that that have to be in order to succeed is slightly more competent...

Energy, Ag, forestry, manufacturing, young demographic comparatively, skilled workforce, mountains, prairie, boreal forest, water. What's not to like?
uhm the French?
I suspect we'd welcome the First Nations (and their land - energy and water) ) and the triangle formed by the US/Can Border to Richelieu River and the St Lawrence (plus Montreal)

But realistically Quebec by itself doesn't offer a lot other than headaches, and Independence from Canada would not bode well to then attempt to join us down here where they would be an insignificant voice, with a less than 2% say as opposed to what the Quebecers have now.

Anyone who had realistically looked at the issue has either come to an understanding it is unrealistic and simply done because they want to distract, Or isn't realistically looking at the situation.

Quebec has been pretty good at dealing with its own treaties. I suspect they will just offer the same or better deals and try to get them onside. That they would be better served in a newly independent Quebec than in a fractured Canada.

I doubt they go the annex route.
I think that is a very optimistic view of what would come. The FN's would see this as a a once in a lifetime opportunity to grab, land, power and money. The price they would want is likley to much to be palatable. the FN would also suspect the Quebec might renege on the deals as the economy crashes and want assurances from the Canadian government as well. Frankly Quebec separation is the masturbatory fantasy of the Quebec Elite and some bored rural types.

Back