• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ql3 course

garb811 said:
There is a QL3 serial starting in late summer.  If you're at BMQ now, there are very, very good odds you, and any other MP with you, are on it.

MP have changed the way we handle Personnel Awaiting Training.  Once you're done your BMQ the odds are you will be sent to the Base closest to where you were recruited for OJE until right before your course.  This benefits PAT pers because they can actually do something other than make photocopies and it helps the Academy and Borden by not having to employ/house pers who aren't on course.

Further, as illustrated by the course dates posted earlier in the thread, we have also changed the scheduling of how we are running QL3s.  Instead of being spread throughout the year, the new Academy allows for "super courses" to be run to maximize training resources.  This means 2 x English and 1 x French QL3 are run concurrently with offsets in the training schedules.  The new academy has also resulted in the courses being shortened because everything is now in one building instead of spread all over Borden.

How does this work with returning members who have done their BMQ and BMQ-L? I'm currently in the process for MP and have my medical and interview this month. If I were to be accepted would they send me on OJE and would I get kit issued there? I know you probably don't have all the answers for me like a crystal ball, but anything at this point is super helpful.

EpicBeardedMan said:
How does this work with returning members who have done their BMQ and BMQ-L? I'm currently in the process for MP and have my medical and interview this month. If I were to be accepted would they send me on OJE and would I get kit issued there? I know you probably don't have all the answers for me like a crystal ball, but anything at this point is super helpful.
Yeah, as long as your BMQ and BMQ-L are current you'll be sent to the nearest Base with Reg Force MP.  You will get your initial issue of generic CAF kit, plus a loaner BR vest for wear during ride alongs and then stay on for OJE until just before the next QL3 started.  Once you get to Borden you will get your initial issue of OPD (Occupational Patrol Dress) and accoutrements.

garb811 said:
There is a QL3 serial starting in late summer.  If you're at BMQ now, there are very, very good odds you, and any other MP with you, are on it.

MP have changed the way we handle Personnel Awaiting Training.  Once you're done your BMQ the odds are you will be sent to the Base closest to where you were recruited for OJE until right before your course.  This benefits PAT pers because they can actually do something other than make photocopies and it helps the Academy and Borden by not having to employ/house pers who aren't on course.

Further, as illustrated by the course dates posted earlier in the thread, we have also changed the scheduling of how we are running QL3s.  Instead of being spread throughout the year, the new Academy allows for "super courses" to be run to maximize training resources.  This means 2 x English and 1 x French QL3 are run concurrently with offsets in the training schedules.  The new academy has also resulted in the courses being shortened because everything is now in one building instead of spread all over Borden.

I have my CT in, I'm not hoping for much, but maybe at least getting on the course until my offer comes in.

Otherwise I'm pretty much unemployed soon and the Reserves doesn't cut it for survivability.

LunchMeat said:
I have my CT in, I'm not hoping for much, but maybe at least getting on the course until my offer comes in.

Otherwise I'm pretty much unemployed soon and the Reserves doesn't cut it for survivability.
Errr...sorry?  You're hoping to get on the Sept Reg F QL3 in Sept pending a CT?

garb811 said:
Errr...sorry?  You're hoping to get on the Sept Reg F QL3 in Sept pending a CT?

One can dream.

It's getting harder to support living currently... Cut back of hours, etc.

With the cutbacks the military is constantly facing, I can't imagine  anyone getting a career course while they are pending their OT.
What happens if they decide you are not a good fit for MP, and you are halfway through the course? They let you finish and then you are qualified for a trade you are not allowed to do? or they pull you off and then it's still a colossal waste of money and time for everyone involved.

Side question... if you are OT'ing to MP, do you still have to pass MPAC before being officially approved? or because you are already serving you get to bypass that step?

paleomedic said:
Side question... if you are OT'ing to MP, do you still have to pass MPAC before being officially approved? or because you are already serving you get to bypass that step?

there is no more MPAC, its been replaced with an interview.

paleomedic said:
With the cutbacks the military is constantly facing, I can't imagine  anyone getting a career course while they are pending their OT.
What happens if they decide you are not a good fit for MP, and you are halfway through the course? They let you finish and then you are qualified for a trade you are not allowed to do? or they pull you off and then it's still a colossal waste of money and time for everyone involved.

I'd be shocked if that were the case considering I'm a Provincial level law enforcement officer, I have a grandfathered Suitable finding on MPAC, and I'm an active, Res MP at OFP.

As I said, one can dream, I'm not hoping for much. I'm just at my wits end with my current employer.

paleomedic said:
There is no way to "bypass" the MP specific steps, no matter what they are called.  The only thing a OT, CT or OT/CT does is open up another set of entry standards for what is considered suitable to apply for MP.  ie. You don't need a full Diploma in some cases, in others you don't even need any credits in a suitable program.

garb811 said:
...Once you get to Borden you will get your initial issue of OPD (Occupational Patrol Dress) and accoutrements.

When I did MPAC last year, all the CFMPA students wore cadpad with the black armband, has this changed since then? Or are you issued OPD and don't wear it until graduation?

OttCap said:
When I did MPAC last year, all the CFMPA students wore cadpad with the black armband, has this changed since then? Or are you issued OPD and don't wear it until graduation?

There's this thing call Dress Of The Day, not every single day will be in OPD. There will be some days where you are doing certain training and they'll have you in CADPAT.

OttCap said:
In addition to what Lunchmeat stated, most of the course is spent in OPD and accoutrements as it is the most effective way of getting the students accustomed to wearing everything.  A big part of safety is being intimately familiar with where everything is on the duty belt and the Academy is the best place to do that given a blue gun in the holster etc etc.

garb811 said:
In addition to what Lunchmeat stated, most of the course is spent in OPD and accoutrements as it is the most effective way of getting the students accustomed to wearing everything.  A big part of safety is being intimately familiar with where everything is on the duty belt and the Academy is the best place to do that given a blue gun in the holster etc etc.

Hey Garb, if I have previous service would I still get bumped to corporal when I accepted an offer for MP since I have completed basic (and bmq-l) already? I know MP's that go through basic get promoted on grad day, not sure how it works with those just reporting to base.

EpicBeardedMan said:
Hey Garb, if I have previous service would I still get bumped to corporal when I accepted an offer for MP since I have completed basic (and bmq-l) already? I know MP's that go through basic get promoted on grad day, not sure how it works with those just reporting to base.

If you have been granted a Recruit School Bypass, you'll be promoted upon arrival in Borden either for course or PAT, whatever your offer states your report date will be.

LunchMeat said:
If you have been granted a Recruit School Bypass, you'll be promoted upon arrival in Borden either for course or PAT, whatever your offer states your report date will be.

Cheers, thanks Lunchmeat.

EpicBeardedMan said:
Cheers, thanks Lunchmeat.

That said, your offer should have stated the effective date and pay rate. Ideally, it's just the badges and identifying items for Corporal you'll receive when you report, however your pay takes effect immediately (although you're on LWOP until your report date).

Ok so here is my situation.... I have recruit school bypass and am headed to Borden for the January 9th QL3. CFRC booked my flights for January 8th. Does this seem right? I have no kit or anything of course as I've been out for 5 years. I feel like I am being set up for all hell to break loose (major cluster****) when I arrive in Borden in the sense I'll be starting a course with nothing. Any help on this one? Suggestions as to what I should do? I don't expect any leniency of course so not sure what to do on this one... maybe just suck it up and go with it?

There isn't really much you can do in this situation, the Academy should be aware of your situation prior to your arrival and they should have a plan in place to get you through the initial hoops.  Just take it step by step and it will all fall into place, although the first week is really going to suck.

Were You not given joining instructions with your report date? In those joining instructions there should be contact information for the school.

I would at the very least give them a heads up because what you’re describing is very unusual to not even have a uniform to wear. When you get there I’d suggest making friends real quick and borrowing someone’s spare uniform for a few days until they get you to the QM to get all your OPDs and duty items.

You're headed to Borden for the 9th, but is your course starting that day? Likely it's not, and as Garb said the school will sort you out including all the paperwork and kitting. Travel in appropriate civilian attire and wear that until you have a uniform. Don't go borrowing kit, if they want you in CADPAT/OPDs that fast, they'll make arrangements with clothing stores.

Back