• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ql3 course

cac1993

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any QL3 courses scheduled for MP in the next year.
When I attended my MPAC they mention possibly after Christmas, however my basic doesn't finish until mid Nov.. Just not sure that leaves me a lot of time to get loaded.

I asked my recruiter and he doesn't seem to know.

Thanks

Historically the QL 3 class were run in the  start of the new year and late summer/fall.  Summer time given to reserve training.  I'm not too sure how it works now with the new ql3 and larger class sizes though. 

As far as I know there should be a course every August and January. 

I'm about to blow all your minds....

Attachments

• received_1309469895749449~2.jpg
    received_1309469895749449~2.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 1,311
There is a course starting in the next month or so. co-worker of mine is loaded.

Poacher434 said:
There is a course starting in the next month or so. co-worker of mine is loaded.

These are the remaining courses for 2016, the next one begins in January 2017. No exact dates, but if not same as 2016 dates, very close.

Attachments

• received_1309469762416129.jpg
    received_1309469762416129.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 769
  • received_1309469762416129.jpg
    received_1309469762416129.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 611
LunchMeat said:
These are the remaining courses for 2016, the next one begins in January 2017. No exact dates, but if not same as 2016 dates, very close.

If the dates run pretty similar to this, would a recruit be sent straight from BMQ to QL3?

I'm asking because I start BMQ March 20, and based on the length of the courses, I wouldn't have time to do BMQ & BMQ-L before the August QL3. Is it a requirement to do BMQ-L first, if so would I then be on PAT for potentially 6+months until the January QL3?

OttCap said:
If the dates run pretty similar to this, would a recruit be sent straight from BMQ to QL3?

I'm asking because I start BMQ March 20, and based on the length of the courses, I wouldn't have time to do BMQ & BMQ-L before the August QL3. Is it a requirement to do BMQ-L first, if so would I then be on PAT for potentially 6+months until the January QL3?

Basic is only 11 weeks, BMQ-L is another what, 6 weeks? If that?

You'll probably be done in time, otherwise, yes you will be placed on PAT. The RegF doesn't like to mix up career progression and skip courses and the MP branch doesn't want to have their new members have to be distracted from their OJT to go back to BMQ-L. Not only that but you'd be a trade qualified Corporal on a course with a whole bunch of No-Hook untrained privates. Coming from someone that was given a waiver... It's not a fun time.

There will be opportunities for you to do other learning while on PAT such as OPFOR, Driver Training, you can take courses on DND Learn or CPKN.

LunchMeat said:
Basic is only 11 weeks, BMQ-L is another what, 6 weeks? If that?

You'll probably be done in time, otherwise, yes you will be placed on PAT. The RegF doesn't like to mix up career progression and skip courses and the MP branch doesn't want to have their new members have to be distracted from their OJT to go back to BMQ-L. Not only that but you'd be a trade qualified Corporal on a course with a whole bunch of No-Hook untrained privates. Coming from someone that was given a waiver... It's not a fun time.

There will be opportunities for you to do other learning while on PAT such as OPFOR, Driver Training, you can take courses on DND Learn or CPKN.

BMQL is a month. It's only 21 training days or something.

The rest isn't true, loads of guys on my QL3 didn't have their BMQL, and there's some at my Det that still don't, and were only put on it because they were being promoted to MCpl. The branch would rather have MPs out on the road doing patrols where we are hurting for bodies, rather than sitting in PAT watching TV all day.

BMQL is an irrelevant course for MPs in terms of domestic policing, and it's really not a priority. Heck, I know of MPs that deployed without it.

It should be organized so that guys coming in have their BMQ and BMQL before their QL3, but it's just not the case.

Habs said:
BMQL is a month. It's only 21 training days or something.

The rest isn't true, loads of guys on my QL3 didn't have their BMQL, and there's some at my Det that still don't, and were only put on it because they were being promoted to MCpl. The branch would rather have MPs out on the road doing patrols where we are hurting for bodies, rather than sitting in PAT watching TV all day.

BMQL is an irrelevant course for MPs in terms of domestic policing, and it's really not a priority. Heck, I know of MPs that deployed without it.

It should be organized so that guys coming in have their BMQ and BMQL before their QL3, but it's just not the case.

Thanks for the reply, I guess it seems to depend on the circumstances when I get to that point.

If I don't get BMQ-L right away, how does that work for the promotion to Cpl? I know during BMQ I will be a Pvt., But I thought the promotion happened after the completion of BMQ and BMQ-L. Pay wise, I am taking a fairly significant pay cut as a Pvt. Until the promotion occurs and I will have my SO home in Ottawa and still have a house and bills to pay for. I can swallow the cut for 3-5 months but to wait a year until after Ql3 would be extremely tough financially.

You'll get promoted right after BMQ, probably on your grad parade actually. You'll get back pay to make up for the time spent as a Pte.

BMQL has nothing to do with getting promoted to Cpl, you'll be a Cpl on BMQL one way or another.

Think of it this way: You need BMQ to do QL3, and need QL3 to get your badge. That's it. BMQL has nothing to do with becoming an MP, it's simply a career course you'll have to complete sooner or later to be promoted to MCpl. Getting it done earlier would be better, so you don't have to worry about it later on down the road.

It can be confusing because other trades you need BMQL to be promoted, but BMQ = Cpl. QL3 = Cpl with badge, start doing patrols at a Det. BMQL is simply a career course, like QL5, QL6B, etc. 0 relevancy with becoming a Cpl or getting your badge.

You could be a Cpl with your QL5 and have 5 years in the branch, and would not hear about BMQL until they want to promote you to MCpl. And then comes your PLQ, but that's a different story.

(the only reason we do BMQL is because we are a 'purple' trade, as in you can be Air Force, Army, or Navy in the trade. Our trade doesn't belong to any single entity like the Infantry does to Army, Pilot to Air Force, etc. Same as Supply Techs and the like. BMQL has nothing to do with being an MP, simply a career progression course to move up in rank)

Hope that makes sense. Feel free to PM me any questions.

Habs said:
You'll get promoted right after BMQ, probably on your grad parade actually. You'll get back pay to make up for the time spent as a Pte.

BMQL has nothing to do with getting promoted to Cpl, you'll be a Cpl on BMQL one way or another.

Think of it this way: You need BMQ to do QL3, and need QL3 to get your badge. That's it. BMQL has nothing to do with becoming an MP, it's simply a career course you'll have to complete sooner or later to be promoted to MCpl. Getting it done earlier would be better, so you don't have to worry about it later on down the road.

It can be confusing because other trades you need BMQL to be promoted, but BMQ = Cpl. QL3 = Cpl with badge, start doing patrols at a Det. BMQL is simply a career course, like QL5, QL6B, etc. 0 relevancy with becoming a Cpl or getting your badge.

You could be a Cpl with your QL5 and have 5 years in the branch, and would not hear about BMQL until they want to promote you to MCpl. And then comes your PLQ, but that's a different story.

(the only reason we do BMQL is because we are a 'purple' trade, as in you can be Air Force, Army, or Navy in the trade. Our trade doesn't belong to any single entity like the Infantry does to Army, Pilot to Air Force, etc. Same as Supply Techs and the like. BMQL has nothing to do with being an MP, simply a career progression course to move up in rank)

That makes perfect sense, and significantly shortens the time until Cpl. The back pay is an added bonus I hadn't considered before.

I'm going to have to get used to all these acronyms and different courses now that I've joined the CAF. You have been a great help however, so thank you. I will definitely reach out to you if I have any more questions.

Habs said:

Times sure have changed, wow.

OttCap said:
That makes perfect sense, and significantly shortens the time until Cpl. The back pay is an added bonus I hadn't considered before.

I'm going to have to get used to all these acronyms and different courses now that I've joined the CAF. You have been a great help however, so thank you. I will definitely reach out to you if I have any more questions.

Haha yup, there aren't 2 languages in the military, there's 3: English, French, and acronyms.

LunchMeat said:
Times sure have changed, wow.

Lots more changes coming soon as well, but we all know how long changes take in the CAF.

Does anyone know when QL3 is scheduled for 2017? I'm at BMQ now due to graduate a month from now. I've talked to another MP recruit graduating this week and he received his posting message saying he's heading to Trenton for OJT. I'm assuming this means there isn't a QL3 for quite some time?

Or it could meant this upcoming course is full and he will be on the next course.
There is usually room for 24 candidates on MOST military courses.

OttCap said:
Does anyone know when QL3 is scheduled for 2017? I'm at BMQ now due to graduate a month from now. I've talked to another MP recruit graduating this week and he received his posting message saying he's heading to Trenton for OJT. I'm assuming this means there isn't a QL3 for quite some time?
There is a QL3 serial starting in late summer.  If you're at BMQ now, there are very, very good odds you, and any other MP with you, are on it.

MP have changed the way we handle Personnel Awaiting Training.  Once you're done your BMQ the odds are you will be sent to the Base closest to where you were recruited for OJE until right before your course.  This benefits PAT pers because they can actually do something other than make photocopies and it helps the Academy and Borden by not having to employ/house pers who aren't on course.

Further, as illustrated by the course dates posted earlier in the thread, we have also changed the scheduling of how we are running QL3s.  Instead of being spread throughout the year, the new Academy allows for "super courses" to be run to maximize training resources.  This means 2 x English and 1 x French QL3 are run concurrently with offsets in the training schedules.  The new academy has also resulted in the courses being shortened because everything is now in one building instead of spread all over Borden.

garb811 said:
There is a QL3 serial starting in late summer.  If you're at BMQ now, there are very, very good odds you, and any other MP with you, are on it.

MP have changed the way we handle Personnel Awaiting Training.  Once you're done your BMQ the odds are you will be sent to the Base closest to where you were recruited for OJE until right before your course.  This benefits PAT pers because they can actually do something other than make photocopies and it helps the Academy and Borden by not having to employ/house pers who aren't on course.

Further, as illustrated by the course dates posted earlier in the thread, we have also changed the scheduling of how we are running QL3s.  Instead of being spread throughout the year, the new Academy allows for "super courses" to be run to maximize training resources.  This means 2 x English and 1 x French QL3 are run concurrently with offsets in the training schedules.  The new academy has also resulted in the courses being shortened because everything is now in one building instead of spread all over Borden.

Thank you very much for your reply. That is good to know that there is a good chance i, and the other MPs in BMQ with me, will be on the upcoming QL3.

Do you know what sort of tasks I would be given while doing OJT?

OttCap said:
Do you know what sort of tasks I would be given while doing OJT?
I can't speak for everywhere but you'll most likely be put on shift as a ride along but you'll also get your 404s (Military Driver's Licence) and do a couple other minor things that are required to get you ready for your QL3.

Back