• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

QC militias/paramilitary groups (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a job for.....
Penetrator+15.jpg

;D

milnews.ca said:
And, as in other parts of the world, it only takes (frighteningly) few ultra-extremists wanting to make a "public point" if they see the rest of the group as not being extreme enough.

Like I used to say about white supremacists who were described as "Crackpots".....there may be few of them but when they all join up, you get a critical mass of crackpots....

<quote>Since the departure for Afghanistan of the 5th Brigade of the Canadian Armed Forces, Quebec and francophone Quebec is left alone and helpless. You are aware that the Brigade is made up mostly of soldiers separatists.</quote>

That really made me laught!  Not even worth feeling insulted...

Journeyman said:
Looks like more chefs than potwallopers. But you ignore their hardcore underground -- the 1,744 Facebook friends. 

:nod:

Best productivity tool, like ummm,  since ... ever .... 

18 USC 2703 (c)(2):

(2) A provider of electronic communication service or remote computing service shall disclose to a governmental entity the—
(A) name;
(B) address;
(C) local and long distance telephone connection records, or records of session times and durations;
(D) length of service (including start date) and types of service utilized;
(E) telephone or instrument number or other subscriber number or identity, including any temporarily assigned network address; and
(F) means and source of payment for such service (including any credit card or bank account number),
of a subscriber to or customer of such service when the governmental entity uses an administrative subpoena authorized by a Federal or State statute or a Federal or State grand jury or trial subpoena or any means available under paragraph (1).

(Allegedly) naughty chap....
The controversial leader of a Quebec nationalist militia has pleaded not guilty to a charge of uttering death threats against an anglophone-rights activist.

Serge Provost, the leader of the Patriotic Militia of Quebec, is accused of making the threats against Hugo Shebbeare, an organizer of an anti-Bill 101 protest which was held on April 17 in Montreal.

Shebbeare was promoting the event in late March when he received a message on Facebook.
A Patriotic Militia of Quebec sign in front of the militia's storefront headquarters in Montreal's east end.A Patriotic Militia of Quebec sign in front of the militia's storefront headquarters in Montreal's east end. (CBC)

"I strongly advise you to tell your daughter you love her, and that you're doing this on her behalf, because you may not make it back home alive the night of April 17," said the message, which Shebbeare provided to CBC.

An arrest warrant was issued for Provost by Montreal police on April 14, he was charged, and pleaded not guilty in municipal court on April 29.

In an interview with CBC, Provost didn't deny that he sent the message, but denied it was meant as a threat ....
More here.

First, the good news: There are no newsflashes on my TV this morning telling me that parts of Asia, Australia and the Pacific have disappeared in tremendous earthquakes, so Rapture day was a hoax (I thought this fit well with this thread!).

Now, turning to the "death threat": I confess here that English is my second language so I sometimes miss some subtle nuances. However, when you tell someone "you will be dead by date "x"" and you are not a doctor informing a patient suffering a terminal illness, it seems to me that murder or some sort of "pre-arranged" accident will be involved and the person mentioning it will not be a complete stranger to the matter. Sounds like a death threat to me.

On the other hand, if you look up the pictures accompanying the article, I think that the supporters of Mr. Shebbeare walking around with signs saying "Hang Pauline Marois for humanity's sake" fall in the same category.

If those two lunatic fringe groups are indicative of where our political discourse is heading, then God save us (oops! I started this post by proving there is no God - shame on me). 

Reading about that whole deal, I'm torn between laughter and embarrassment as a Quebecker.  :facepalm:

I continue to swear off the CBC comments section, only to find myself back there looking at the trainwreck.

It only reaffirms that the small percentage of Canadians that take the CBC serious enough to comment, are mostly mouth breathing morons.

However, I still can't look away. Waiting for the tanker car to explode I guess ;D

recceguy said:
I continue to swear off the CBC comments section, only to find myself back there looking at the trainwreck.

It only reaffirms that the small percentage of Canadians that take the CBC serious enough to comment, are mostly mouth breathing morons.

However, I still can't look away. Waiting for the tanker car to explode I guess ;D

Got to give CBC comments section some credit... at least, it's entertaining!  ;)

MrsAlex said:
Got to give CBC comments section some credit... at least, it's entertaining!  ;)

Most blogs can do that for less than a billion dollars, though. [/snark]

Some of the latest:
The public face of the Milice patriotique québécoise said Tuesday "everything we do is 100 per cent legal."

The self-styled militia favours Quebec political independence, provides firearms training at gun clubs and recruits using social media.

"If we were doing anything even faintly criminal or wrong, we would have been arrested long ago," Serge Provost said. "We're not hiding anything."

Provost said the 10-year-old group has about 800 active members and has been growing.

The Sûreté du Québec refused to say whether it is probing the group's activities.

"We can't confirm whether or not an investigation into this group is under way," SQ Sgt. Ronald McInnis said.

Montreal police referred all queries to the SQ.

"I'm sure we are under surveillance pretty well 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year," said Provost, a 42-year-old carpenter. "If we do something wrong, we're dead."

The group has grown by "between 75 and 100" during the past year, Provost said, and its Facebook site lists 728 friends ....
Postmedia News, 21 Sept 11

Founder's photo attached via FaceBook.  Meanwhile, on the opinion pages:
.... It is not surprising that the shop Mr. Provost opened last November in east-end Montreal to sell militia-related gear has been refused a licence to sell firearms.

Instead there are boots, balaclavas, radical books and paintball rifles. On an online message board run by the militia, one participant offered a bulletproof vest for sale. When another participant noted that the “problem with the vest is it offers no protection to the neck,” he received the message, “Thank you for your advice, patriot” from a militia member.

Mr. Provost told the Journal de Montréal this week that he is “proud not to receive any subsidies,” although it is hard to imagine under what program the militia would qualify for aid. In addition to charging members a $100 membership fee, the militia makes ends meet by running a garbage recycling business, MPQ Recyclage. In June, Mr. Provost issued an appeal on Facebook for the donation of a used pickup truck to collect recyclables. “The vehicle … will serve the national defence as part of our logistics unit when operations require,” he wrote.

So...how close to illegal is his "uniform"?

Looks like CF issue sweater, beret and even slip-ons that have been modified.
Comes very close to "impersonation" in my mind. But, I guess if the police jumped on him for that, it would just give him more justification for his ideas and give his organization more press time.

Just looks like a dork to me. I think he gives Separatists a bad name.

Wook

"Looks like a dork"?  That is insulting to real dorks................

I am pretty sure that their Vision Statement would make their existance illegal. That said, what a f***ing embarassment to this fine country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back