• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread

NavComm said:
Yes and so did 8 other people. Week 6 sent home. I was told that they don't do that in the army bmq because you passed the express test to get in (as did I - with 17 pushups) but when retested at bmq, the civvie testers only counted 2 of my pushups so I was sent home.

I will be recoursed in January and in the meantime my unit will put me on a training regime to make sure I pass that test.

they don't send people home because of inadequate pushups for people going army? what express test? please elaborate

Yep paracowboy I have read the other threads and do not dispute that you are exactly right. The problem I have though is that all the training I did before bmq, weights, etc didn't do me much good when once I got there I had no access to weight training.

The focus at bmq pt was on running, running and more running. In fact, one could argue that some of the training there decreases one's upper body strength.

The fact that we did the confidence course the day before the re-test didn't help either. Don't get me wrong. I totally accept responsibility for not doing more pushups. I know I messed up. That is why I am even more determined to overcome my pushup challenge.

I know now what I did wrong and I won't make the same mistake twice.

Your advice is invaluable and I've read it many times. Thank you for taking the time. Like the instructors I had at bmq I am very appreciative of the fact that soldiers like them and you give of your expertise and time the way you do. I'll continue to read yours and other's wise advice and heed it!

No, there might be little or no access to weight training, but you can do pushups in your personal time to maintain what you're already capable of doing though, right?

Fry said:
they don't send people home because of inadequate pushups for people going army? what express test? please elaborate

Re-read the replies I sent to the pm's you sent me. Therein lies your answer.

Nav,
I won't say for certain, but I do think the reason is that the staff are no longer allowed to hand out push-ups as punishment the way they used to. I used to do at least 100 push ups before morning inspection was over. You'd pump 'em out all day in Basic and Battle School. It wasn't even an issue on the PT tests. "He only wants how many? Awesome!"
This lowering of standards really chokes me. Not only is it weakening the CF, but it's completely unfair to the candidates today. They don't get pushed nearly as far, they don't get challenged the same way, and consequently, they don't realize their true potential.
Recruits and wannabe's today don't learn just what they are truly capable of. And it's a shame, because they are capable of so much.
Troops (and those wish to be), there are still challenges to be faced once you get through Basic and your trades training. And those challenges are more than worth it. There is no feeling on Earth to compare with accomplishing something you never believed was possible.

Please allow me to pass on some ancient wisdom:  If you suck at pushups, DO FUCKING PUSHUPS! LOTS OF THEM! ALL THE TIME!!  There, you now know the eternal secret of improving at pushups.  Next week we'll cover the intricacies of the sit-up, and don't forget to sign up in the lobby for my symposium on mastery of the six foot wall.

paracowboy said:
Nav,
I won't say for certain, but I do think the reason is that the staff are no longer allowed to hand out push-ups as punishment the way they used to. I used to do at least 100 push ups before morning inspection was over. You'd pump 'em out all day in Basic and Battle School. It wasn't even an issue on the PT tests. "He only wants how many? Awesome!"
This lowering of standards really chokes me. Not only is it weakening the CF, but it's completely unfair to the candidates today. They don't get pushed nearly as far, they don't get challenged the same way, and consequently, they don't realize their true potential.
Recruits and wannabe's today don't learn just what they are truly capable of. And it's a shame, because they are capable of so much.
Troops (and those wish to be), there are still challenges to be faced once you get through Basic and your trades training. And those challenges are more than worth it. There is no feeling on Earth to compare with accomplishing something you never believed was possible.

Yes, you're right they don't make the recruits do too many pushups. Although one platoon seemed to do them all the time. It was the all male platoon. I think it does weaken the recruits not to do pushups. We should have done a helluva lot more pushups for punishment and if we did them wrong, we should have had to keep doing them until we got it right. Oh boy, when I get to be an instructor .....uh that's another story!

I think this 'kindler, gentler' approach might work in some ways, but let's face it...we're supposed to be training to fight for this country. If we don't find out what we're made of in training, it's going to be disastrous in the years ahead.

Personally I found bmq easy. Now I'm 45 yrs old and if I found it easy (except, admittedly, for the pushups) then I think we could push the limits of endurance much harder. I could have handled more. I'm hope the winter course will be more challenging.

Kat Stevens said:
Please allow me to pass on some ancient wisdom:   If you suck at pushups, DO ******* PUSHUPS! LOTS OF THEM! ALL THE TIME!!   There, you now know the eternal secret of improving at pushups.   Next week we'll cover the intricacies of the sit-up, and don't forget to sign up in the lobby for my symposium on mastery of the six foot wall.

Sign me up for the symposium. Will you be serving tea?

BRR 

for anyone who wants to know,

I had found a way to help increase push ups.  When at the gym and working on the bench press, after every set on the bench I would get down and do as many push ups as I could.  This increased my ability to do push ups and also helped with my bench press.

Everyone can try all of these other things, but the best thing I find to do more pushups, is.... doing more pushups. Do your max. Then every 3-4 days, incease it by one or two more pushups.

Kat Stevens said:
What a great idea..

Ain't it! However many people don't realize this... Why, I don't know... Where is aesop with his kettle? I'd like a small cup of orange pekoe, no sugar please.

4-5 days ago i got sick and stopped my working out/exercising. Today i started feeling better again and started up my exercises again.

To my surprise i could barely do my pushups i could do 4-5 days ago. I went from being about to do 25-30 pushups to being able to only do 15.
Now, hours after i only did the 15 push ups, my shoulders are still killing. It's bothering me because a week ago i could do 25 EASY and any pain i had after would be gone within minutes.

I guess it's just because i havent worked those muscles in a while? I'm hoping to slowly do more and more each day to work myself back up, but it's just bothering me that in 5 days i lost the ability to do 10 push ups.

Any suggestions?

Alex I'm not surprised. I could do 20 pushups when I left for Borden on June 23. I didn't do any the first two weeks there and by then I couldn't even do 2 that counted. So just keep at it, build yourself back up and keep doing them.

yeah, some days I can do 30 pushups, others I can only do 18-19... as for running, same thing. some days I can only run a couple of km until I have to stop to a walk. Others I can run 4-5km... however I'm thinking that this isn't nearly enough for bmq.. and with the date only a little over a month away, I'm getting a little worried.

Fry, once you get there you will be fine I'm sure, just keep on doing those pushups.

I know... I'm probably just having the same thoughts as many more that are about to go on BMQ.. but I dunno..... I'm going all out, but my luck BMQ will be all of my "bad days" and I won't be able to perform as well as I know I can

Fry said:
I know... I'm probably just having the same thoughts as many more that are about to go on BMQ.. but I dunno..... I'm going all out, but my luck BMQ will be all of my "bad days" and I won't be able to perform as well as I know I can

Perish the thought! "Zay haf veys ov making yoo perform!" ;D

I suppose so... but more and more each day, I'm doing more and more pushups and keeping on running, but I dunno... kinda funky... I find doing them fast makes it worse, if I go at a decent pace, I'm alright.

Fry, maybe the problem is with every day. You should give your muscles a rest. There are plenty of threads on here, and paracowboy writes quite extensively on it.

Maybe you need to change up your routine. If I do weights 3 x week, then aerobics (biking, running, etc) on the opposite days, with one day of either rest or just walking, light excercise I find it helps.

Your muscles need time in between work outs. Like I said, there are plenty of posters on here much more eloquent and knowledgeable than me, so check out those threads if you're worried.

Back