• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread

Yup, I got a tub of L-Glutamine. EXPENSIVE!!! LOL.

Thanks for your posts guys. I know that I'm probably stressing over nothing. I've just gotten myself to a point where I know that I definitly want to be a part of the CF and I'm starting to stress over every little thing that could possibly go wrong.

I also just read a post about PT at BMQ. There were a lot of posts there from guys who had been through it and the genereal consensus was that if you can do the minimun when you show up and you show them that you are giving everything you've got you will get better and you will get through it.

This site is great. I feel much better now. I'm putting in my application in a couple of weeks, wish me luck.  :cdn:

Thanks again.

Mike

Ok, this has already been discussed, but I'll relay it to you.

For PROPER pushups,  lay down, stomach on the floor. Make sure your feet are perpendicular to the floor. Put your hands under your shoulders, push with an upward force, whilst keeping your body straight.

You sound like you'll pass the fitness test. To be honest, prior to the fitness test, I hadn't did any sit-ups in about 10 years. LOL.

As for weight, that doesn't matter. As long as you can perform the fitness required of you, you'll be fine. Everyone has this vision of everyone in the army as being arnold-type looking brutes, but with many, this isn't the case.

You shouldn't stress, you're more than prepared, and you have much time to prepare before BMQ, if you get an offer.

And, if anyone knows more about stressing over PT than me, I'll buy you a beer.

SierraAir said:
  Everytime I walked through my bedroom door I did 20 push-ups, and each week I would increase the number by five. I was doing 50 with no problem at all in no time.

thats an awesome idea i'm going to try that thanks!

Don't wait a couple of weeks to put in your application - do it now! If you're this stressed before even applying, your blood pressure might be through the roof by the time you actually get to the fitness test...

Hey folks

I joined 23 Fd Amb and will start BMQ at Hamilton this weekend. I had heard conflicting information about the requirements to pass the BMQ. Some told me that I need to do 30 pushups and situps and 10 chinups to pass, and some said I need to do 19 pushups and situps and 10 chinups to pass. Everyone I talked to seems to agree about 10 chinups, but no one I talked to seems to agree with the number of pushups and situps. Anyone here who completely the BMQ recently or has info about it please put this question to rest.

purion

Wow, Deja Vu.

There is no set amount of chinups you have to be able to do in basic. 19 push ups an 19 situps is the minimum you need to pass the CF fitness test, but the more you can do, the better off you're be.

Check this out.  For folks still serving in the US Forces at 62....yes 62...the minimum amount of pushups in two minutes for a 62 year old is 16, followed by 26 situps.....For the 17-21 year olds its 42 and 53 respectively.  There is an additional requirement to complete a two mile run, again timed reducing by age.  Different standards exist for male and female.

It's similar in the UK, on Basic Fitness test you had better come up with a minimum of 54 push ups and as many sit ups again in two minutes, they finish up with a 1.5 mile run which commences with an 800m warm up.  Most times for the 1.5 miler are 7.5 to 10.5 min's.

Perhaps our bar is set a tad to low at 19 of each....

God bless Glutamine, that stuff is really amazing. Without it I work out a few days and my muscles hurt like no tomorrow and I have to rest lots.

With glutamine I can get a lot more time working out in, I don't get really sore, and I recover much faster. I got a tub for about $100, and it should last about a year.

From what I have been reading on these threads you will not be able to bring the stuff on Basic. A large container with a white fluffy powder might not go over so well during inspection. Next time I am in my supplement store, I am going to see if I can get a bunch of sample packages of glutamine, being individually wrapped. Might be allowed to use it, but won't know for sure until I get there.

I remember going to the gym once and working on my biceps... a lot. I used a 20 lbs weight and also a 40 lbs weight at certain points during the day. I lifted them as often as I could, then when I couldnt, I took a break and waited until I could do them again. The next day, I couldnt hold my arms out straight because it felt like something was tearing.... interesting feeling...

Pieman said:
God bless Glutamine, that stuff is really amazing.

Not famillar with Glutamine, what is it's effect on someone looking for weight loss while exercising?

Thanks.

potato

spud said:
Not famillar with Glutamine, what is it's effect on someone looking for weight loss while exercising?
Glutamine claims to increase recovery time, and decrease muscle soreness after workouts, allowing you to exercise more strenuously and more often. It claims to allow you to avoid over-training.

I say 'claims' because it has not, as yet, been proven to do so in unbiased, scientific labs, as creatine monohydrate has. Anecdotal evidence is strong, but there have been no proper tests run by someone not affiliated with one of the various supplement companies producing the product.

What I like to do when my arms get sore from push ups, is switch to running/cardiovascular work outs. Or vice versa. That way the sore parts get time to recover, but I'm not waisting time sitting on my ass.

if the bar was set that high then alot of people would not be in the canadian forces, I would not be able to make it(probably).
I think it should go up with the amount of years of service until a certain age

Who says our standard is too low? Remember BMQ and SQ are there to bring you up to the armed forces standard. Some people can barely do say 19 push-ups during the fitness test during the recruiting process but hey after BMQ and SQ I will bet you my army.ca coin that they can do more then they started out doing.

Our CF Expres Test standards remind me of the old PER statement about consistently setting low standards and failing to meet them.  Admittedly, to get exempt as a youngster is hard, but come on folks, when othwerwise healthy people drop off the shuttle run at level 2.5, or even lower (ive seen a young lady quit at level 1.0) we must ask ourselves are we doing the CF any favours by letting people slide through?  (before anyone flames me, im Exempt - Diver Standard)
That said, the PSP folks make it a bit harder when it comes to pushups, but the rest of it is pretty straight forward.  The pushup problem is one that we can train for, i.e., we can practice them the way they want to see them. 
Either way, its an academic point, as there are people who will never meet even the lowest standard.  Lets see what CDS' new DAOD has in store for us....... 

Once you are in, past the recruitment standards, you will need to pass the Express Standard:

http://www.rmc.ca/athletics/pe/EXPRES/standards_e.html

Max pass level is 19 Pushups, 19 Situps, it goes down as you get older.....there are no chinups or pull ups in the test. But you will need to do them.

hey guys, i got sum great ideas, first off, (for what i do) everytime u enter your room, blast off 25 pushups,second: when you get your kit, put your ruck sack on and blast off as many as you can, (of coarse the rucksack is filled with your kit and sleeping bag and valice). after you found out how many you can do, simply try and get about 5 or 10 under it everytime. also, a good form of pushup you should get used to is the diomond pushup.ask around about it, its killer, its also wise to test yourself at the end of each week, and guage how much you should increase it by. another, if you like playin video games, especially online, everytime you lose a match, simply pause or watever, and blast of your near maximum, finally, before you wake up, 30 pushups, before you go to bed, 40,(depending on what a good number is for you) ,well, i hope this can help u guys out, it got me up to 93 by the end of my basic :)

ghost88 said:
hey guys, i got sum great ideas, first off, (for what i do) everytime u enter your room, blast off 25 pushups,second: when you get your kit, put your ruck sack on and blast off as many as you can, (of coarse the rucksack is filled with your kit and sleeping bag and valice). after you found out how many you can do, simply try and get about 5 or 10 under it everytime. also, a good form of pushup you should get used to is the diomond pushup.ask around about it, its killer, its also wise to test yourself at the end of each week, and guage how much you should increase it by. another, if you like playin video games, especially online, everytime you lose a match, simply pause or watever, and blast of your near maximum, finally, before you wake up, 30 pushups, before you go to bed, 40,(depending on what a good number is for you) ,well, i hope this can help u guys out, it got me up to 93 by the end of my basic :)

Diamond push ups are real killer. (hold out your hands flat and open, then touch your index fingers and thumbs together.making a sort of diamond shape. Then put your hands flat on the ground like that centred between your shoulders and do push ups.) They aren't as bad as russian Push ups, but probably the second hardest kind.
(for russian do a hand stand and then do push ups with your nose touchingthe ground)
Once you can do 20 push ups with ease, start trying harder ones. Working your way up to diamond and even russian. knuckle, thumb, finger, elevated feet, double shoulder length, one handed are all ways to challenge your self so you can really do a high number of normal push ups.
For knuckle, it's just like palm push ups just one your first two kniuckles only. Index and middle fingers knuckles.
Thumb should be done at a wider stance for safey sake. And dont doo too many. Your arms can take more than your thumbs.
For finger, I like to group my fingers and spread my thumb out as far as I can.
For elevated feet, I like atl east a foot. Though starting with just a book under your feet is fine. Get to do 20 with a book under your feet and you'll have a decent edge on regular push ups.
Double shoulder lengthg isn't that hard. But a good one to start right after regulars.
One handed is pretty difficult. Spread your feet far apart, and centre your one hand. Try with both your weak and strong arm too.

first do as many as you can. than the next day try and double it. kepp on doing that till you can do them. that's how i learned how to do my push ups for Army Cadets. hope that helps! :)

Back