• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread

Once daily does the trick if you are willing to push it each week.

Other than that, I'd fully recommend picking a room in your house and every time you enter it you do a set of the push ups that you are doing today. Combine that with the routine and you get a much smoother transition between weeks, especially when you start getting up in numbers.

For example,

Lets say you are doing 6 sets of 8 push ups and you choose your bedroom. Every time you enter your bedroom, you do 8 push ups. A long with that, you also do you 6 sets of 8 at the end of the day.

Pathway to 50 pushups

Do a pushup. Try to repeat 49 more times- If it doesn't work, try the next night and so on...  ;D

The approved method of conducting the proper push-up is with the thumbs just under the shoulders.  The best way to improve on your max number of push-ups is to do more push-ups.  Get down during commercials if you are watching tv and crank a few off.  I have found that in the army we have for whatever reason conditioned ourselves to do 25 push-ups, no more, no less.  There is no reason for this other than we have done it for years.  So mix it up, do 40, 30, 50, whatever.  But condition yourself to do more than less.

Just a thought.

I started the pushup base table about two weeks ago now and before that I havent done much excersising.
And being only 20..pushups arent that hard right? well..my body seems to think differently.

What I mean to say is that I find it very hard for me to keep my body straight whilst in the pushup position and not only that but after the 5th or 7th pushup my wrists feel like they're on fire. So the only way to minimise this is to do them the "girly way"....
any comments on how to remedy this?? please and thank you

Lazarus** said:
I started the pushup base table about two weeks ago now and before that I havent done much excersising.
And being only 20..pushups arent that hard right? well..my body seems to think differently.

What I mean to say is that I find it very hard for me to keep my body straight whilst in the pushup position.

I find flexing my abs while doing it does help.

Here hopefully this will help you to obtain your push up goals. This is a good work out . try pyramiding your push up work out. do one take a break do two take a break and so on until you can do it up to ten. then work down nine, eight, seven until you work down to doing one push up,you are done you just completed 100 push ups. it is not continuous though and you took alot of breaks but over time you will be able to pump out a hundred in one sitting its just muscle memory it will be easy as walking so there try it out hopefully it works well for you.

another easier way to build strength to do more push ups is do a variety of them. Lets say 10 military style, 10 wider arm style, the do some staggard push ups, 5 on each side and keep going counting down for each side until 1. EX; 5-RH 5LH, 4RH 4LH etc. I have been trying this set up and it greatly improves posture and building muscle in key regions.
I joined a gym and I find doing tricep dips also greatly improves push ups as well. There are lots of ways to build your way to 50 but the only REAL way is to keep doing them over and over again and as often as you can....push yourself a bit but not enough to hurt yourself.,

Not to start a pissing match re: "proper protocol", but it is not thumbs just under the shoulder.  It states hands under the shoulder area, and if just the thumbs were, I would ask you kindly to move your hands in.  I know for a fact that not all bases follow proper protocol,  and it is a real problem.  On anoter note... an alternative way to up your push-up numbers is to do negatives.  Do as many proper push-ups as possible and when you can't do any more, get yourself back to a push-up position and lower yourself as slow as possible down until your triceps are parallel to the floor.  Do this until you cannot lower yourself under control anymore.  This is far more effective than doing knee/incline/wall push-ups.  I've had members add 20+ to their numbers and they were already in the 40's.  This also goes for chin/pull-ups.

Cheers.

In truth, the hardest part of exercise is routine. Once you have a routine the rest falls into place. An easy, seemingly time-efficient method causes people to justify using it and to keep using it. This results in gains that surprise them.

I just wanted to say thanks for the push up plan, i am on my last week of it and doing great, it worked wonders! i leave for Borden on the 6th of January, this plan saved me.  So thanks again

http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/100push.html

Just in case anyone is looking for alternate methods.

I'm on week 3 right now and I can already see improvement.  ;D
I still feel a slight discomfort on my left wrist when doing the pushups but its nothing to be concerned about.
I'll let you know once I hit week 6 how it all goes.

DiamondDarryl said:
Just curious how this worked for everyone. Has anyone followed this and hit the 50 pushups on the required day?

i followed the chart to a Tee, and it worked great, when i knew i was going to BMQ i said to my self, humm, should start some push ups! havent done those in years, i tryed and got five.  Starting thinking oh crap thats not good, so i looked up push ups on here found this plan and went at it! it worked wonders, and i can now do 50 push ups.

DiamondDarryl said:
Just curious how this worked for everyone. Has anyone followed this and hit the 50 pushups on the required day?

I just started, but I'm only learning the "military pushups" now.  I'm also used to doing pushups from the knee (the girly way) because I haven't really built my upper body strength yet.  I have over a year until I join, but I'm planning to get into the best shape possible so I can have a fantastic medical and not have to play catch-up at a later date.

My only thing is: should I be trying to follow the chart going from the knee (using the proper hand position) and then re-start once I hit the 50 mark from the knee?  Or would it be best to struggle (slowly) through them in a completely proper fashion following the chart?

I skipped ahead a couple weeks on the chart and I am a couple weeks in, and I am finding that the program works. I've never put much emphasis on the upper body strength, but I roll with a pretty burly crowd these days. As always, the key is to soldier on.

Well megsy, that is a pretty hard to answer question without some key details. How many proper push ups can you do consecutively? If you can do them properly, you should, even in sets of 1. 10 sets of 1 everyday, and then at the start of everyday, push for 2. When you can do 2, push for 3, and so on. When you hit 6 proper consecutive push ups, you can follow the chart.

The key is to push your limits. Not to the extent of injury, but if you can do just 1 more push up, you are that much closer to your goal. Be determined, and when you feel you should quit, just remember: you want something, and nothing, not mind nor body nor soul will keep you from your goal.

Huge props to teh OP, I'm getting started on this RIGHT away and I'm going to start myself at week 3 or 4 because that's where Im at for pushups at the moment.

I've went from near 2 years of avoiding any form of real upper body work due to repetitive stress injury in my shoulders, since I said screw it and have put the pedal to the metal the pain is actually GOING and I've went from 6 pushups to 16 now and I'm feeling so great.

Thanks OP, this method looks great to me and gives me a set goal to look forward to.

Now to just get my cardio in each day...sigh ;)

This table has been great, I'm on the second last week of it and I haven't even gone in for my initial PT for enrollment into the forces. I also found that the method where you do a set number of push-ups every time you enter a room in your house.

I picked my own bedroom which felt like I was shooting myself in the foot sometimes, but as mentioned before, routine really payed off most of all!

What I did personally was during the first week, I did 10 push-ups each time I enterred my bedroom. This alone will get you to 100-150 push-ups a day. Then every week, increase the amount of push-ups by 5

Week 1: 10
Week 2: 15
Week 3: 20
etc...

This really helped me the most. PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Hey everyone, its been a while since I posted on this thread.
I'm currently on week 5/6 of this here pushup program and in my last post I was complaining about wrist pain..well, thats gone.
It no longer bugs  me, but now I have a nother "problem".

When I do my pushups and go from the down position to up, I feel what I can only describe as a pulling sensation and just before I reach the full up position theres a small "pop". Goin back down I cant feel anything, and its only on the up motion that this occurs. I want to see what people here have to say about this before I go to the doctor.

Laz,  go see the vet - its not worth aggravating stuff like that if it is something seirous, I can tell you that from experience.  Taking the time to look after yourself now will save you double the recovery time in a few weeks.

It sounds to me like a lot of people are over-training, increasing the chance of stress injuries, and decreasing the time your body has to repair the sacromere tears you create in your muscle fibres when you exercise.

Not giving your body time to recover is silly, and asking for trouble.

There is a time to "train insane", and there is a time to train "smarter" (not harder).  I would reccomend giving your upper-body at least a day off between these rounds of punishment you're dealing yourself.

Back