• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Push up technique

hotei said:
Hey All!

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried training with multiple variations of the push up and what their success has been like. I can very easily accomplish 40 regular PSP push-ups, but for kicks, I attempted the "diamond" variety and have found that it really makes you "feel the burn".

I also find (if you have carpet) that the knuckle variety feels like it gives a different type of workout.

Conversely, if you have a hard surface (i.e. wood/cement floors) I find the fingertip one can really work well.

Any others that people here have tried?

Many. My personal favourites are:

One hand forward, one back. Your left hand will be just outboard of your forehead, a bit farther out than your shoulder. Your right will be just past shoulder width, but down by your bottom rib/ upper abs. Do 5, then switch which hand goes forward.

Both hands making a diamond shape, but way out past your forehead. Try 5, then rest. Move your hands forward a bit more, then try another 5. These pretty much suck, and you'll want to do them over soft ground the first few times in case you faceplant - common occurrence. You'll get to the point where you're barely flexing your arms, and more using your shoulder.

Instead of using push up bars to keep your wrists straight, try using dumbbells, the round ones are better than the polygons, as they make you balance on the disks. When you get to the top of your stroke, pull one dumbbell up and into your shoulder. Alternate arms. Keep the weight low to start, you'll be surprised how effective this one can be. When it gets boring, instead of pulling straight up and in, keep your arm straight and bring one dumbbell back towards your hip until your arm is in line with your body.

Variations on ballistic push ups:

Clapping in front of your body at the top of your push up. Add more claps when one gets easy.
Clapping above your head.
Gold standard, clapping behind your back. You need a bit of hangtime for this one. This can often be used as a dare to earn free drinks at the bar.

The biggest point to keep in mind for all of these - any activity - is posture.
Keep your back straight, and your core tight. Flex your abs a bit as you move, don't get sloppy, or you'll get hurt. If you're just starting out, get a spotter.

wow - those are great, never thought of them.

We only did finger tips, spreading the arms different distances and knuckles.  Knuckles were the most common and could be a bit painful when you had your rifle and were down on gravel.

Have to try some of these after I get back into shape for them.  Been slack the last few years so have to start over with the basics. Really bad as I was never that great with the pushups - too many shoulder injuries.

Behind the back?  Wow, I'll be sure never to take that bet.

Back