• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Affairs Officer ( PAO ) - merged

Signal-Man

Inactive
Reaction score
Another occupation of interest ...

This is a fairly hard profession to get into.   For one, it's a very small branch within the CF, thus limiting the potential openings.   Two, it is not open to UTPNCM, or atleast it hasn't been for the past few years since I begun researching it.

Thus the only way to "muster" into it is to either CFR or Special Commission.   A CFR baffles me, as there are no occupations in the enlisted realm that relate to PAO's.   Thus the only real option for a Corporal is to Special Commission.   But PaffO's come equipped with their own set of instructions to gain entry into their little nook.   Aside from having to obtain the degree, you also must be employed for a set amount of time with a PAO cell, to get some OJT, experience, etc, etc.

Is this true?   Do you have to have some time spent with the trade before you can attempt to commission into the branch permanently?

Royal Roads University has a very promising programme to equip me with the required education.   Their accelerated programme (1 year on site or 2 years distance education) requires one to have 2 years college in a communications field.   I do (2 yrs associate degree - Business Administration and Computer Science).

I'm naturally going to take the 2 yrs distance ed variant, but they want me travel periodically up to Victoria for 3-5 week intervals to partake in portions of the programme that are only available on-site.   Aside from those costs (food, travel, lodging), the course needs me to fork up over $13,000.00.   Yikes . . . just got over my previous educational expenses before I enlisted several years ago.

Will the army give me that time off with pay, or is leave without pay more or less what they'll offer?   Will the military reimburse these costs if I pass?   Will they help with travel?   Lodging?   Provisions?   Will the military leave me alone so I can finish this programme off and allow me to attend the university during those times I am needed for the course or will I get "Tough luck, the field needs you"?

Can anyone help me out?   I need to arm myself with more knowlege / insight before I hit the PSO with this potential objective.   Any additional insight will be greatly appeciated.

Thanks ... Signal-Man

VVV

Signal-Man,

You bring up some very good questions, that I certainly cannot answer.   I recommend you contact your local PSO and develop some education strategies that will assist you and they should be able to advise you on how best to become a PAFFO.   Be aware that most of the PAFFOs that I have met have all been reclassified from other trades (mainly cbt arms) for a variety of reasons.   I have met only one PAFFO who joined (through RMC) to be a PAFFO.

It is a small Branch and, based on a conversation I had with a PAFFO last week, he stated they were under their authorized strength.   Not sure if this will be the case once you are in a position to apply to be one.

Good luck.

SM:
a good start is too have something published in your local paper (Trident, Petawawa Post etc) and even better the Maple Leaf. (Unit milestone, event, parade)

This worked fabulously for my friend (SGT) , who then went to the BPSO (yeah I know, PSO) with the clippings and a great letter from our CO. He is lovin it as a PAFFO.

Just a suggestion.

Crow

Crow, Gunner ...

Thanks for your replies, you've both been a great help.  Crow ... thats an awesome idea, it never even crossed my mind.  Do you have any idea how'd one would be able to write anything for these papers?  How did your ex-Sgt manage to get an entry in?

VVV

Hi Signal-Man

I am currently VOTing to the reserve PAFFO MOSID (I've been de facto PAFFO at my unit) so I do have some exposure to the reserve/ reg. force PAFFO world. You are right about the trade - it is competitive but by improving your credentials through the Royal Roads program you will make yourself a more viable candidate as an officer (a post graduate degree in either journalism or communications is the preferred credential but undergrad degrees in those areas are also acceptable). There are two programs at RR - one of them is an undergraduate program in communications and the other is a post-graduate MBA program that specializes in Public Relations and Public Affairs (the MBA is the only one of its kind in Canada).  Both are available through distance courses with the three week residency periods you noted.

However there are NCM MOSID alternatives - including image tech and journalist - the guys currently engaged with Army News, for example, are NCMs. You might want to look into this as another way of getting some experience in the trade. Or you might want to start writing the odd article as HFXCrow suggested as a way of building up your portfolio - although quite honestly this can be a tougher road.

Just as an FYI, there is also DEO for the PAFFO trade so it's not just OT - but again you need the right credentials to be competitive. A recruiter would have the exact number of slots available, but I believe it was something like 5 for this fiscal year.

As Gunner stated, talk to your PSO but reiterate your goal and your desire to achieve a higher credential in the field. In may case I had quite a bit of experience in the civvy street before I came back to the reserves so it was a natural fit.

PM me if you need any more information.

cheers, mdh

No matter what you do, the CO's recommendation is the most important and crucial for your CFR.

I agree with the educational utility but volunteering to submit an article/unit newsletter or even having secondary appointment/duty as maybe the Unit's Public Affairs Assistant.

Will pay great dividends , when the CO makes his recommendation.

Crow

Volunteering to be your unit's UIO or D/UIO can also help.  This will give you a chance to write some articles at a regular interval for both the Maple Leaf and your base paper.  It would also give you the opportunity to take the Defence Public Affairs course (DPAC) which is held twice a year, and is highly recommended for UIOs and their deputies.

Hi everyone;

I am looking for information in regards to the public affaires occupation.  I am considering applying for UTPNCM this year (2007 program) or await my return from ARCHER (in the next couple of years). I am planning to attend RMC in the Arts program with the enphasis on Mil History or Mil and Strat Studies.

The main information I am looking for is what the job really entails, i.e. expanding on the recruiting web site.  My background is Medical (PMed Tech), however I am a news and history junkie.  Would this trait (some would call it a curse) help me in my application, etc...

Any help is appreciated

Phil

"Give a soldier an old coin hung on a scrap of cloth and he will do amazing things"
Unknown

From a reserve perspective:

Does Navy, Air, Land all take the same course?
Where is it held?
How long is it?
What are the main topics covered?
What do your regular in unit activities include?

From a reserve perspective:

Does Navy, Air, Land all take the same course?  yes...the basic (Lt qualified) crse is called DPAC

Where is it held?  Normally, Cornwall, ON

How long is it? 2 weeks..however..that being said, you normally need either a journalism degree or Public Relations degree.  This just tweaks the candidates skills to DND standards.  To become Capt qualified (i.e. run your own PA shop), you need the RPAO crse, a combon of distance learning and on site (Ottawa).  This will take about a year, on a part-time basis.

What are the main topics covered? Preparing media releases, writing stories, use of the different methods of dealing with media, i.e. press conferences etc.

What do your regular in unit activities include?  facilitating media interviews with members of the units/brigade; issuing media advisories, Public Service Announcements etc.  Training soldiers, officers, and CO's on how to deal with media.  Developing rapport with all media reps, of both small and large
media agencies.  Everything from weekely newspapers to CBC , CTV, Globe and Mail etc.

email me at bigcletusATyahoo.com.com (replace the obvious) if you have other inquiries

2 weeks?  That has to be the shortest course ever!

What element are you? Res or reg?

When did you complete your training?

tree hugger,

If you are interested in the trade, but aren't quite sure if you want to commit, you can try to get on the DPAC course.  Although a primary course for those who want to be PAO, it is also a highly recommended course for anyone who is a Unit Information Officer.  If your unit has a UIO, see if you can't do some work for them.  A terrific way to get a small idea of what the job is about.  If your unit doesn't have one, volunteer.  The PA net is very open and there will always be someone willing to help out when needed.

As for Res PAOs, although in the recent past they were not that common, the past few years has seen more of them introduced into the fold.

By the way, have ot on good authority that the trade is currently short about 35 Capt Regs.  Don't know what the Res numbers are.

The Res world is also down bodies, altho I don't know the numbers.  Each Bde is allocated 2 positions, one Class B/A and one Class A.  The Class A positions are a challenge tho, as the PAO shortage results in back-fills across the country due to MATA/PATA and overseas taskings.  The Land Areas also have Res PA's in-house. Beginning in teh near future, the Naval Res is also going to be setting up Res PAO cadres..using the Army model.  So most NAV RES units will have an in-house PAO. 

I am not actually "in" at present, so I can't volunteer for anything...

I was medically released from reg force but my grievance disclosure came back and they are re-enrolling me.  I can be air or sea, reserve or reg.  I'm thinking navy reserve.  My only options would be IntO, LogO or PAO due to my medical category.  But because there is only one unit near me, I'll probably get what ever thet have an open slot for.  I'm trying to learn the most that I can so if I have an option, I can actually pick the right one for me.

Whew..... I thought some agitator was writing about the "occupation" of Afghanistan... which it isn't...........

ok.... back to our regularly scheduled forum ;)

Back