• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Affairs Officer ( PAO ) - merged

Baz said:
To be fair, he said he was a 2Lt in the Artillery and that he decided he wanted to be in the RCAF, and now he's a Cpl... the way it's written it's pretty clear he's a Cpl in the RCAF.

Unit PAO may be a bad choice of words, but it may not be his.  Also seems clear to me he had some secondary duty wrt public affairs,  probably wasn't trained for it, and probably not complete leadership for it.

It is important to write clearly... it's equally important to read correctly...

It's funny that I have no problems pointing out other peoples mistakes, but I hate people who point out mine! After all, I'm supposed to be perfect...

I will commence dining on a little crow. You are right - i DID misread - but in my defence I noted in an earlier post I could have misread...

BinRat55 said:
I may have completely misread / misunderstood the direction of your post (which is ENTIRELY possible...)

It still confuses me though.

The proper term that I believe he is referrring to is UPAR - Unit Public Affairs Representative, which replaced the old Unit Information Officer in 2009. It is defined as

"An individual assigned to conduct public affairs activities as a secondary duty at the unit level, and who may or may not have elementary public affairs training."

I have a copy of the PA Handbook. It is a little dated, but will give you the gist of what you need. PM me if you want it, as the file is too large for here.

Cheers

Someone call?

BinRat55 -- In the CA the Adjt may play the role of the UPAR but that is not always the norm.  In the rest of the CAF (yes, there are two other elements) the UPAR is a secondary duty that is picked up by anyone with an interest.  It is very rarely, if ever, assigned to a non-willing person as that would just defeat the purpose.

And as for the OP's switch between unit PAO and PA Rep, give him a break.  Many times the unit staff are the ones referring to the UPAR as the unit PAO.  It may not be correct, but it happens.

Anyway, as for the rest of the posts, let's see if I can remember what was asked and fill in the blanks.

PSOs can be an odd breed.  The first PSO I dealt with seemed very uninterested in anything I had to say.  The second one I dealt with, several years later, was extremely gung ho (and we ended up working together again in Edmonton) and helped me get the ball rolling for when I came back from deployment.  My third dealing with the BPSO was with that first one and he hadn't changed.  The difference was that I came to the table with PERs, referrals and a portfolio of articles (not necessarily that I had written) showing my involvement with the trade within that past year so there was no way he could say I wasn't a 'good fit for the trade.'

So my suggestion to you would be to talk to the PAO where you are working right now and get that portfolio updated.  When you get back from Kuwait then make an appointment with your BPSO (who is probably a different person) and be ready.  You don't necessarily have to know the PA Handbook by heart. It's a reference book, which means even PAOs refer to it when they need to.  But knowing what the basics of the trade are is important.

One last thing - if your intention in going PAO is to get your name out there, then choose something else.  Any PAO who ends up in front of the camera or with their name in print on a byline is not doing their job properly.  Our job is not even to act as cheerleaders for the CAF, but to facilitate others telling our story, and the only time a PAO should be in front of the camera is when they are taking a bullet (figuratively of course) or it's the ealy minutes of a crisis situation and no one else is available.

Perhaps these discussions rate a merge,

Public Affairs Officer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/100806.0/nowap.html

Public Affairs Officer: Qualifications.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/104184.0/nowap.html

Looking for PAO, got questions regarding the occupation!! 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/48980.0;nowap

How to become a Public Affairs Officer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/34450.0

The Role of the Public Affairs Officer 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/120657/post-1395470/topicseen.html#new

I can pile on re this topic as well, if Strike is too busy. Ask away and I will try to answer your questions.

Lumber said:
You two are just too cute.

I'm cuter.

I have a better moustache, at least.

Weinie said:
I can pile on re this topic as well, if Strike is too busy. Ask away and I will t to answer your questions.

Go ahead. "Too busy" is rather a serious situation.

Is there a reason that you put "too busy" in quotes Loachman?

Not at work.

Anyone know the current degree requirements for public affairs officer? (Direct Entry Officer). Do you HAVE to have a degree in journalism or something related or would a degree in Business Admin work?

The preferred degrees have been broadened from PR,marketing, journalism. To now include social sciences( psych, sociology. Etc). A Business degree is not a preferred degree. See the recruiting page for more info.

R u thinking of applying?

Weinie said:
The preferred degrees have been broadened from PR,marketing, journalism. To now include social sciences( psych, sociology. Etc). A Business degree is not a preferred degree. See the recruiting page for more info.

R u thinking of applying?

No, I'm 14 years in and happy with my trade. ;)

I'm asking for a friend who has a business admin degree I and don't have access atm to the personnel instructions or whatever they are that list the degree requirements for PAO.

Happy to help with the query. Send me a PM with some contact info.

I think the career field is a great experience for those that want a civilian career. My dad escaped the drudgery of the Pentagon for the PAO side. The Army sent him to get a Masters degree at U of Wisconsin followed by becoming PAO of a major overseas command, to being commandant of the DoD school that trained enlisted/officers for the career field.

I did the US PAO course in Fort Meade, Maryland in 96. Great time and I was very well treated by my US brothers/sisters-in-arms.

Back