• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PS3 Stupidity

Consoles suck anyways...give me NFS:carbon on PC or BF-2142 over Tekken 17...where you have 6 armed men beating each other.

PC games have so much more depth of play the console IMHO...all for much cheaper...and you can use it to go on army.ca too.

I for one respect smashmyps3. In a society as materialistic as ours these people make a vivid point. You can say they wasted their money but it's just money that would have probably been wasted on something else.

The only good thing that I've seen out of the PS3 launch was the control over the lines.  Future Shop and Best Buy seem to have enough smarts to section off areas for the campers and control entry into the store.  Being a dedicated Boxing Day shopper, nothing can lead to a riot faster than a line jumper that isn't immediately dealt with by store security.

Nothing like the gong shows down south...a mass charge on the West Coast and a shooting on the East stand out.  All for a video game machine that costs the same as a low end PC and will be replaced in a few years by the PS4.

Personally, if someone is willing to part with $4,000 for a $700 system...good for them.  I'm not losing sleep over how they manage their money.  ::)

nothing can lead to a riot faster than a line jumper that isn't immediately dealt with by store security.

Whatabout when we let them in the foyer, and they pushed the sliding doors off their emergency release hinges. Now THAT was a gong show :D

rz makes a good point . . . or at least one in my mind.  Why spend $750 on a game console when you can spend that amount on a PC that's much more versetile?

Regarding those spending ridiculous amounts, my gamer students inform me that you can spend lots of $$$ on upgrades to your computer to enhance the gaming experience if you so desire.  Is it largely about being able to use it on a high def tv?

(Glad my gaming days are over . . . things were much simpler in the days of Close Combat and FIFA 2000  :)  )

Well 750 for a computer will get you an entry level machine.

You have to take into account that the PS3 has a Blue Ray player(going for$1000+ by itself). Some heavy duty custom made processors, as well as a custom GPU(Graphics Processing Unit). It will take years to be out of date.

Computers, well you CAN get a blue ray drive for your computer. It costs about the same as a PS3. If you buy the highest end machine possible(will cost you about 10k). It will be out of date in about 3-5 days.

I personally will not buy a PS3(I own a 360). Though I just dont want one. I barley play my 360 already. Just putting some perspective out there. I own what cost me a $4000 computer. It was not even close to cutting edge when I built it. Definatly not now.

Never really understood why or how some people can wait in a line for hours and hours on end, just so they can be the first ones to buy some bloody toy.  I walked past the Best Buy the other day not far from where I live downtown and saw all these screws hanging out in the cold, trying to cram into the store, waiting to get in to buy their precious video game machine.  I jokingly referred to them loooking like 'Refugees, hoarding around a UN humanitarian-aid shipment'.  Someone want to tell me where dignity went?

All these people killing each other over the PS3, heh. I walked into Zellers and bought myself a Nintendo Wii + a few games yesterday, best decision I ever made, gaming-wise anyway. It costs half as much as the PS3, had better games at launch (Red Steel, Zelda), built in wi-fi, virtual console (can download and play older NES/SNES/Sega/N64 games), is more user friendly (I had my 75 yr old grandmother playing golf on the thing yesterday..), and is just more innovative.

In my opinion the PS3 thing is a matter of status amongst the gaming guru's.  The first to buy, the first to play, the first to win.  Just like most materialistic phenomenon in our society it is all about status.  I mean do those city slickers buy an H2 for the fuel economy and cheap price?  Thats why people will pay 2500-10000 for a console system because they can then tell people thats what they bought it for. I know its sick, but thats your average western civilian.

Nobody paid anything near that. If you look at the auctions, nothing really sold over 3k, about what you would spend on a top end retail gaming computer. Still dumb, but not THAT dumb.

Back