• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Provincial Healthcare question

stealthylizard

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I tried to do a search for this, and I am positive that it has been answered somewhere, but unable to find it. 

What does a person do with their healthcare when they start BMQ.  You are only covered by your province for 90 days, and BMQ lasts longer than that, but by the time you transfer it to Quebec, you are moved somewhere else.  Or does the military have its own healthcare regime to take care of that inconvenience?

stealthylizard said:
I tried to do a search for this, and I am positive that it has been answered somewhere, but unable to find it. 

What does a person do with their healthcare when they start BMQ.  You are only covered by your province for 90 days, and BMQ lasts longer than that, but by the time you transfer it to Quebec, you are moved somewhere else.  Or does the military have its own healthcare regime to take care of that inconvenience?

Your PERSONAL health care is taken care of by the military (IE - you won't belong to a provincial health care system).

Your FAMILY's health care is contingent upon where THEY live - not where YOU live.

The above applies to the Regular Force only.

As a Reservist you will only have Provincial Health Care but the Military will pay for your Dental though

NFLD Sapper said:
As a Reservist you will only have Provincial Health Care but the Military will pay for your Dental though

Without going too far down a rabbit hole:

Reservists on class C service or periods of class B serivce in excess of 180 days receive comprehensive medical and dental coverage from the CF.

Reservists on class A service or short-term class B service can receive additional coverage through the public service health care plan (PSHCP) for themselves and their dependants.

dapaterson said:
Without going too far down a rabbit hole:

Reservists on class C service or periods of class B serivce in excess of 180 days receive comprehensive medical and dental coverage from the CF.

Reservists on class A service or short-term class B service can receive additional coverage through the public service health care plan (PSHCP) for themselves and their dependants.

Thx dapaterson forgot to add that part

:brickwall:

Thanks for the reply.  When should I terminate my provincial coverage, or does the government do that for you when you do your administrative paperwork?

I believe you have to inform your provincial health care provider yourself.

stealthylizard said:
Thanks for the reply.  When should I terminate my provincial coverage, or does the government do that for you when you do your administrative paperwork?

As BC's MSP is one of the two provinces where individuals pay monthly premiums for provincial health coverage and you pay those premiums in advance, don't put off notifying MSP of your change of status until the last moment, otherwise you end up paying for coverage which you can't use.

Roy Harding said:
Your PERSONAL health care is taken care of by the military (IE - you won't belong to a provincial health care system).

But in Ontario, you WILL pay for it!!  Sorry, couldn't resist..... ;)

The Ontario Health Care premiums are paid on your annual income tax.  In other words, the military does not deduct it monthly.  So if you don't file from Ontario, it shouldn't be an issue.  But don't quote me on that.  :-\

Back