• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

Hey i'm new to the board i quickly looked down the forum without finding the answer to my question.

How does the promotion system work? (officers)

is it with time like 2ndlt to lt 2 years ; lt to cpt 2 years?

or is it merit?

thanks in advance to whoever answers my question!

Depends on a few things.

Air Force works like this, you must be MOC qualified to be promoted. Once you are then it's 1 year at 2Lt and 2 years at Lt, then you're promoted to Capt. If you're delayed in training, those times become retro active. IE, the time starts when you're commissioned, not when you're MOC qualified.

There are of course a million other scenarios like former NCMs that take a commission, etc.

Hey thanks! oh 1 more thing this may sound out of the blue but is it true that say you get a university degree before you join and you get your masters you join as lt and as such you skip 2ndlt?

I'm not sure i believe i heard it from a friend that join the reserves.But i came here to confirm this?

Thanks!

Procrast said:
I'm not sure i believe i heard it from a friend that join the reserves.But i came here to confirm this?
Thanks!

Ah! The friend of a friend source.

Well......I did a little research and Merged these topics together for your reading pleasure, so give it a read.  After that, if you have any questions, try using the Search Function at the top of the page.

Have fun.

I have a comment on the issue of DAPS (Pte to Mcpl) It happened in my old unit (82-91 Hussars) Some of the guys that DAPS'd did very well and carried themselves professionally. However, the odd one slipped through the cracks that would get thinking that now that he was promoted he was king s**t on turd mountain and start powertripping. As I mentioned in one other post, that happened to an old stubborn Veh Tech Cpl with about 20 yrs in. He was working away on this broken down vehicle, when the young freshly DAPS'd Mcpl came over and started piping off to the old salt. The Cpl stood up, looked at the young whippersnipper, and gave him a shot to the snotlocker. When DAPS complained to his Sgt, he was told; "did you learn anything from that?" and laughed at him.

So yeah, it was good and bad, depending how you look at it.

Gnplummer :cdn:

I have been curious about how roughly long it takes to get from able to leading and from leading to master and then to petty 2nd. Help would be appreciated

Since you weren't specific and your profile is empty, I have based an assumption that you mean Regular Force on the little information in your previous posts.

CFAO 49-4 -- CAREER POLICY NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS REGULAR FORCE
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/049-04_e.asp

See:

ANNEX A -- PROMOTION -ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
TABLE 1 -NORMAL PROMOTION -- ALL MOC EXCEP DENTAL, MAR ENG, AND MUSICIAN MOCS

Very basically, from OS to AB in 30 months, AB to LS in 48 months (although that can be advanced or accelerated depending on your performance).  Anything after that is not time dependent, but is instead qualification and performance based, although you need at least two PERs to be considered for MS (i.e. at least two years after promotion to LS).  You could be an LS for your whole career. 

The CFAO posted has all the other details and qualifiers and exceptions, but that's a basic outline.

Interestingly, I got "accelerated" to AB by almost 3 months because the CO wanted to give me a Christmas present!  Of course not really accelerated, because there is no such thing to AB, and my effective date was as it should have been...

Hey everyone.I have a question that im pretty sure is hard to answer,but who ever has knowledge in this,it would help.
Does anyone know,or has an idea of what is the trade that has the highest promotion rate?
Thx  :)

Leonidio said:
Hey everyone.I have a question that im pretty sure is hard to answer,but who ever has knowledge in this,it would help.
Does anyone know,or has an idea of what is the trade that has the highest promotion rate?
Thx  :)

Well-what do you mean? How many people get promoted, or how fast people get promoted? My guess is that for speed it is one of the Cbt Arms, probably Infantry which has historically promoted NCOs/WOS and Offrs much younger than most other trades. Promotion in the support MOCs, which are much smaller than Inf, are generally slower. For percentage who get promoted my guess is the Musician Branch in which as far as I can see just about everybody is a Sgt.

Cheers

Me and some guys I trained with debated on this.I believed it was infantry.Some1 told me that clerks had a good promotion rate,is that true?

From the clerks I know and talk to, it is one of the worst trades to be in if you want to advance past Cpl/LS rank.  There are so many people in the trade, they are waiting for the old ones to die or retire.  You have to remember too, that RMS clerk is the amalgamation for Fin and Admin clerks, so it is quite a top-heavy trade.  On the other hand, if you want to do something where you will always have a job, clerk is the trade for you.

I'd say Chaplains have a great promotion rate...

One could be a major after 5 or 6 years.  ;) ;) :D

pbi said:
Well-what do you mean? How many people get promoted, or how fast people get promoted? My guess is that for speed it is one of the Cbt Arms, probably Infantry which has historically promoted NCOs/WOS and Offrs much younger than most other trades. Promotion in the support MOCs, which are much smaller than Inf, are generally slower. For percentage who get promoted my guess is the Musician Branch in which as far as I can see just about everybody is a Sgt.

Currently, I would have to disagree. It seems support trades are promoting at a rate faster then the cbt arms, as most of its senior people are getting out. It would be an inersting debate, as I am sure there are not too many people who would know the true hard facts on this one.

Armymedic said:
Currently, I would have to disagree. It seems support trades are promoting at a rate faster then the cbt arms, as most of its senior people are getting out. It would be an inersting debate, as I am sure there are not too many people who would know the true hard facts on this one.

In my MOC...most people make SGT in 3 years....i'd say that pretty fast !!  But then again, its somewhat of a different situation.  I mean 3 years in the trade.

Heck, that IS pretty fast!  And you drop down to Cpl Base, with no Spec at first do you  not??

Back