• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

Hi there I'm new here i just had a question. I have been on t-cat since Aug 2013. I've had two ankle surgeries and i have been due for promotion since Oct 2014. I have been given two stories by two different clerks. One clerk had told me that because my t-cat limits my ability to do a fit test i am still eligible for promotion because i meet all the other prereqs and that its up to the CO to say yay or nay. My clerk is holding my paper saying i can not get promoted to cpl due to the lack of a fit test. I'm just curious which to follow.

Also i was told because my promotion isn't on hold due to diceplenary actions that i should receive back pay once i can complete a pt test is this true as well.

Thanks in advance.

a men's Christmas dinner thing? care to elaborate? by that do you mean being promoted at men's Christmas dinner? If so that's not going to happen as i have already been told they wont promote me until i complete a pt test. which if i had of known that i would have asked physio before my second surgery if they would allow me to attempt the pt test.

How many years have you been in, and what Trades Training have you achieved, to not be promoted Cpl?

You can not get promoted until you are fit to do so, with a completed pt test and a without a temporary medical category below your trade specifications.

Enjoy the back pay if your entitled to it.

George.Wallace my promotion date was oct 18th 2014 according to the clerk and my mprr.  I have 2 pcfs its just because I have been unable to perform a pt test since my injury

Good Morning Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of/was familiar with an accelerated promotion of a member on the NDHQ PRL list. My employing unit is looking to apply for accelerated promotion of one of our reserve members, however the NDHQ PRL List is saying that they do not consider accelerated promotions as required because they are not a formed unit and have no need for succession planning. This seems off to me as in DGMC 004/MAR 99 the relevant accelerated promotion document it clearly outlines that it is to recognize the member as outstanding, and is not relevant to the purpose of sucession planning.

In accordance with MPCO 1004-0 – NATIONAL DEFENCEHEADQUARTERS AND MILITARY PERSONNEL COMMAND PRIMARY RESERVE LISTS - PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT their governing document, there does not seem to be a provision for accelerated promotion to recognize outstanding members.

Anyway, anyone with some relevant expertise feel free to chip in. I'm in the process of doing deeper research. To give further details the member has all, and beyond, quals required and is only lacking time in. They have 1 year and eleven months out of 3 years required for normal substantive promotion.

I don't have access to the CFAOs at my civilian work so I cannot quote you chapter and verse.  Look at CFAO 49-5, Career Policy - Non-Commissioned Members - Primary Reserve

Ah I should have mentionede member is a comissioned officer. Sorry, under the DGMC I listed it's promotion to Capt/LT(N) that we're seeking.

If I come up with an answer I'll leave the path here. Sometimes navigating pams and regulations makes me feel like a lawyer...

As a side note, interesting that there is a CFAO detailing Career policy for PRes NCMs and not Officers...

CFAO 49-12 (Prom Policy Offrs - PRes) in conjunction with MPCO 1004 as you have already mentioned.

The PRL is a wonderful world.  There are NO provisions for accelerated promotion while attached to the PRL.  An alternate solution that "might" be available to you, would be to try and staff an AWSE request but that too might get shot down as the member doesn't have the require TIR to be eligible for promotion.

Accelerated promotions apply only to NCMs in the Reserves. No such animal for Reserve officers.  CFAO 49-12 has no such provisions.

As DAA stated, Acting rank per paras 16 & 17 of CFAO 49-12 is another option.

DAA said:
CFAO 49-12 (Prom Policy Offrs - PRes) in conjunction with MPCO 1004 as you have already mentioned.

The PRL is a wonderful world.  There are NO provisions for accelerated promotion while attached to the PRL.  An alternate solution that "might" be available to you, would be to try and staff an AWSE request but that too might get shot down as the member doesn't have the require TIR to be eligible for promotion.

I think the answer from the PRL will be "its too hard, it takes a lot of work".

Well I've tracked down one member of the reserves that was Accelerated promoted to Capt, I've emailed him and he replied he'll send references later this week.

I'm of the opinion that Hamish is probably right, as I've managed to track down individuals who have been, it's probably a complicated process..

Still can't find anything of value on this topic.  The closest so far, is DGMC 004/99 but it looks as though this applies only to the Regular Force.

DAA said:
Still can't find anything of value on this topic.  The closest so far, is DGMC 004/99 but it looks as though this applies only to the Regular Force.

Agreed, that's what I've managed to track down as well. Yet as I said, I've found records in 5 Div of Pres officers being accelerated to the rank of Capt from Lt, so I'm getting them to send me the references they used for such.

Probably a Div order that ignored the governing CFAO and is therefore invalid. Would not be the first time LFAA marched to the beat of their own drummer.

dapaterson said:
Probably a Div order that ignored the governing CFAO and is therefore invalid. Would not be the first time LFAA marched to the beat of their own drummer.

I'm suspecting that this is likely the case, but due diligence and what not.

youngtpr said:
still no answers. Is there any one who would be able to help me here?

Sure, let me try......

CFAO 49-4, para 21 - Lowered Medical Categories -  A Pte who has a temporary medical category that is below the MOC requirement may be promoted to Cpl provided all other prerequisites have been met. In the case of a Pte who has a permanent medical category that precludes unrestricted employment, the member may, subject to NDHQ/DPCAOR approval, be promoted to Cpl providing all other promotion prerequisites have been met.

DAOD 5023-2 - Physical Fitness Program

When Required
A CF member who is not exempted from physical fitness evaluation requires valid evaluation results:
on the effective date of a promotion, in accordance with promotion policy in applicable CFAOs

*** - edited for content based on the additional guidance provided below by Occam

Back