• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

Celticgirl said:
.........You need your 5's to get promoted to Cpl in the PRes, unlike the RegF  (more than half the ppl on my upcoming 5's will be Cpls, all RegF).

They may already be Cpls without their QL5, but don't forget they in all likelyhood have more time in trade and at least 3 years of service and more likely closer to 4 years.

Oh to be purple said:
They may already be Cpls without their QL5, but don't forget they in all likelyhood have more time in trade and at least 3 years of service and more likely closer to 4 years.

Whom are you talking about here?  If they are not Trade Qualified, I don't see how they can have that much more TI in their Trade.  As for Reservists becoming Cpls in less time, that is only for those who can commit to training and accomplish those prerequisites to be promoted.  Some, perhaps many, depending on availability of crses and instructors, may take three or four years to become Cpls in the Reserves as well.  In your books, that would also be a fair amount of TI, albeit not a 24/7/365(6 ).

Oh to be purple said:

My point was that the PRes does not have "acting lacking" ranks.  Ergo, you need your 5's in the PRes to be promoted to Cpl.  The upside being that you can accomplish this in as little as 2 years.  I am aware that to get promoted to Cpl in the RegF usually takes 4 years of "time in", but they don't need their 5's to get it. 

I'll be the only reservist on my course and likely the person with the least "time in", so it should be interesting.  Fortunately, I have been given many responsibilities in my OR (talk about being 'fed through a firehose'), so hopefully that will help me in keeping up.

Celticgirl said:
My point was that the PRes does not have "acting lacking" ranks.  Ergo, you need your 5's in the PRes to be promoted to Cpl.

That may be the case in the Air Reserve, but in the Army Reserve there are "acting lacking" ranks.  True they are rare.  For the CSS trades, Army Reserve, Pte only need QL3 and 2 years Time in Service.

Celticgirl said:
My point was that the PRes does not have "acting lacking" ranks.  Ergo, you need your 5's in the PRes to be promoted to Cpl.  The upside being that you can accomplish this in as little as 2 years.  I am aware that to get promoted to Cpl in the RegF usually takes 4 years of "time in", but they don't need their 5's to get it. 

I'll be the only reservist on my course and likely the person with the least "time in", so it should be interesting.  Fortunately, I have been given many responsibilities in my OR (talk about being 'fed through a firehose'), so hopefully that will help me in keeping up.

As Eowyn said, acting lacking corporals exist in the reserve. Knew one who didn't even have his QL3 mod 2 (sig op). Promoted two years after enrolment date, completed his mod 2 twelve months after that, then deployed overseas as a corporal.

Two year corporal's virtually automatic, barring somebody in the CoC taking a disliking to the private in question. Haven't seen somebody with just BMQ/SQ get it, but it's possible even without completing QL3 or DP1.

Brasidas said:
As Eowyn said, acting lacking corporals exist in the reserve. Knew one who didn't even have his QL3 mod 2 (sig op). Promoted two years after enrolment date, completed his mod 2 twelve months after that, then deployed overseas as a corporal.

Two year corporal's virtually automatic, barring somebody in the CoC taking a disliking to the private in question. Haven't seen somebody with just BMQ/SQ get it, but it's possible even without completing QL3 or DP1.

I am not sure that most units would follow a similar policy as your unit seems to have done.  This does affect the "credibility" of the member, the unit, and the rank.

Celticgirl said:
My point was that the PRes does not have "acting lacking" ranks.
The reserves will not allow an acting rank, lacking a leadership qualification.  E.g. One cannot be a Master Corporal without PLQ qualification.  Lacking trade qualifications is allowed.  So, a Master Corporal in the reserve with PLQ, could lack QL5.

George Wallace said:
I am not sure that most units would follow a similar policy as your unit seems to have done.  This does affect the "credibility" of the member, the unit, and the rank.

I don't disagree.

However, said member really was one of the best sigs in the unit, got his qualifications dealt with when and where they could be done, and was selected for promotion based on time in grade and experience. He trained on the kit extensively through OJT, had more hands-on time than several of the corporals in the unit, and was an effective mentor.

I can think of several incompetent ones who affect their own credibility, that of the unit, and the rank. I repeatedly supervised an incompetent corporal as a private myself. I know of one disciplinary failure at CFSCE (reserve) in the last four years, and zero training failures. Having a second  trades course does not a good signaler make, any more than four years does.

Brasidas said:

Well, deployment would be different; Class C is treated as RegF in most respects, acting/lacking rank included.  A Cpl I worked with was deployed as an 'acting' MCpl, but reverted back to Cpl afterwards because, as she was told, "There is no acting/lacking in the reserves".  I also work with a Pte who was a Cpl with 4 yrs and her 5's in the RegF, who released and re-enrolled in a different trade but was offered Pte because she did not have her 5's in the new trade.  When she questioned it, she was told, "There is no acting/lacking in the reserves." 

Interesting that the Army and Air Force differ on this, though.  I wonder what the Navy's policy is on acting/lacking ranks.  :p 

Does anyone have a ref (pub) handy on the differing policies for acting/lacking in the reserves? 

Celticgirl said:
  A Cpl I worked with was deployed as an 'acting' MCpl, but reverted back to Cpl afterwards

It is more likely that this person was deployed WSE - While So employed - vice "acting " for the tour.

agc said:
The reserves will not allow an acting rank, lacking a leadership qualification.  E.g. One cannot be a Master Corporal without PLQ qualification.  Lacking trade qualifications is allowed.  So, a Master Corporal in the reserve with PLQ, could lack QL5.

That's changed, I've seen a lot of acting lack ranks in the PRes now. Sgts finally getting their QL6a, MCpls without their QL5s.

Celticgirl said:
Interesting that the Army and Air Force differ on this, though.  I wonder what the Navy's policy is on acting/lacking ranks.  :p 

Does anyone have a ref (pub) handy on the differing policies for acting/lacking in the reserves?

NavRes normally does not do acting lacking, instead they occasionally rely on 'while so employed' (WSE). I do not have the messages at home, but MARCORD 9-1 covers NavRes pers management.

There is a clarifying NAVRESGEN clearly indicating anyone who had a WSE promotion will not have that time credited in the higher rank.

CDN Aviator said:
It is more likely that this person was deployed WSE - While So employed - vice "acting " for the tour.

Now that you mention it, yes, I believe it was WSE.  Good catch.

kratz said:
NavRes normally does not do acting lacking, instead they occasionally rely on 'while so employed' (WSE). I do not have the messages at home, but MARCORD 9-1 covers NavRes pers management.

There is a clarifying NAVRESGEN clearly indicating anyone who had a WSE promotion will not have that time credited in the higher rank.

Seen.  Thanks for the info, Kratz.

PuckChaser said:
That's changed, I've seen a lot of acting lack ranks in the PRes now. Sgts finally getting their QL6a, MCpls without their QL5s.

This one has me scratching my head.  I can't get promoted to Cpl unless and until I graduate from my QL5, so how is someone promoted to the 'appointment' of MCpl without it? 

Celticgirl said:
This one has me scratching my head.  I can't get promoted to Cpl unless and until I graduate from my QL5, so how is someone promoted to the 'appointment' of MCpl without it?

I was appointed to MCpl without my QL5.  Granted, it was acting/lacking.  Usually a member will have their QL5, get their MCpl and then go on JLC/PLQ.  In my case, I already had my JLC, got my MCpl and then did my QL5.

Celticgirl said:
Well, deployment would be different; Class C is treated as RegF in most respects, acting/lacking rank included.

He was a class A reservist at the time. He completed the second half of his QL3 after well over a year as a class A reservist acting/lacking corporal, deployed, and returned to the reserve. He's a class A reservist again, still a corporal, and still doesn't have his QL5.

I'm starting to suspect that my coworkers were not told the whole truth.  Hmmm...

Then there is this little tidbit of info that is left out, from the perspective of the Armour trade -

When you do show up in your new Reg Force place of employment as a Cpl you are expected to pull your weight and conduct yourself as such, not coming in acting like a no hook Pte with only 2 years under your belt.

Remember, those two chevrons mean something to the people with only one (or none at all) chevron. They have been through the training system by Cpls of a high standard and will expect you to be the same. More often than not the Ptes will have more cumulative TI than you as well and loads of work experience. As an example, I have 3 Tprs currently outperforming the CT Cpls.

Failure to perform adequately not only will you be sorted out by your superiors but also earning respect of your peers and subordinates will be an uphill battle.

I've had a few CTs come in to my office for Tp interviews and state that they'd rather have gone through St Jean and done all their courses over again.

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant,

There are two things that I hope will help me with the CT process: (1) I have had all RegF trg (Air Reserve), (2) I have worked in a severely understaffed OR for the past 10 mos and had to learn and do things that a Pte doesn't normally learn/do in the year following QL3 trg.

On the other hand, I see what you are saying, and it does worry me.  I've expressed these concerns to my CC but she believes I have enough experience to be able to keep up and she says I am a very fast learner (let's hope so) and a hard worker.  I know I'll be at a disadvantage, though, and will have to prove myself more at my new unit than Cpls with far more TI and experience.  It's going to be 'sink or swim' for sure, and to be perfectly honest, I am nervous as heck.  :-\

Celticgirl said:
Der Panzerkommandant,

There are two things that I hope will help me with the CT process: (1) I have had all RegF trg (Air Reserve), (2) I have worked in a severely understaffed OR for the past 10 mos and had to learn and do things that a Pte doesn't normally learn/do in the year following QL3 trg.

On the other hand, I see what you are saying, and it does worry me.  I've expressed these concerns to my CC but she believes I have enough experience to be able to keep up and she says I am a very fast learner (let's hope so) and a hard worker.  I know I'll be at a disadvantage, though, and will have to prove myself more at my new unit than Cpls with far more TI and experience.  It's going to be 'sink or swim' for sure, and to be perfectly honest, I am nervous as heck.  :-\

If your CC at 403 thinks you're GTG, then more than likely you are.

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
If your CC at 403 thinks you're GTG, then more than likely you are.

Regards

Thank you.  I hope you are right.  :p

Back