• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

There used to be a couple of othere on that list, or at least there were when I earned my sash,.... Drive and Determination, or have they been removed from the list Techno? ;D

Danjanou said:
There used to be a couple of othere on that lis, or at least there were when I earned my sash,.... Drive and Determination, or have they been removed from the list Techno? ;D
Drive and Determination no longer required  ;D

I thought it was all about just showing up.. and attending the mess at the end of the night to make those special "connections" that will get you promoted?

I know this is kind of off topic, but seemed like the most relevant topic to post this question I have.

I just recently got sworn into an infantry reserve unit, and will be completing BMQ, SQ, and DP1 this summer. My question is, qualifications for an Pres infantryman to serve a tour? I've heard alot of different answers, some such as, Trades qualified, 2 years service, atleast a Corporal.

Can someone try to help me out,

Thank you

To be able to be deployed, you need to be trades qualified as per the regular force standard.  Now, what does this really mean?
You are an infantryman.  In the PRes, you will do certain modules of DP 1 Infantryman to be qualified to be employed as a rifleman in a reserve unit.  There is some training involved that you will need to complete to be qualified DP 1 Infantry (regular).  That will complete your individual training to get you to the complete standard required of an infantryman according to the Qualification standard.
You do not need to have x amount of years in, or to be of a certain rank: you only need to be qualified to the same standard as a regular force infantryman.
Once you have completed the individual training requirements, you could then be selected for the collective training cycle prior to deployment, which we call the Road to High Readiness (or R2HR) training.

For more detail as to what this all means for you, talk to your superiors.  Cheers!  Welcome aboard!

Hastings, that is of course unless you are a transfer from the NCM's, where you will end up getting your NCM pay, until you match or surpass that pay, in the officer category, at least that's what I have been told, as I have been looking at this option.

What are the requirements in order to get your first hook?  Is it simply 30 months in, or do you have to complete your QL3's?

One prerequisite for promotion to AB is being able to look up regulations and orders, such as CFAO 49-4, Career Policy Non-Commissioned Members Regular Force.  ;)

Occam said:
One prerequisite for promotion to AB is being able to look up regulations and orders, such as CFAO 49-4, Career Policy Non-Commissioned Members Regular Force.  ;)

Yes, because that is a simple straight forward document that is entirely up to date and easy to read and understand.  It's also equally applied to all occupations, which of course are absolutely identical in their structure and their determination of progress. ;D

Pusser said:
Yes, because that is a simple straight forward document that is entirely up to date and easy to read and understand.  It's also equally applied to all occupations, which of course are absolutely identical in their structure and their determination of progress. ;D

CFAO 49-4, Annex A, Table 1, Serial 2 looks fairly simple to me, and even appears to have been updated as recently as 2005.

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish, you feed him for life."
                                  -Chinese Proverb

Sorry Pusser; Gotta take Occam's side in this one. What I find a little disturbing is that LoKe may have been intimidated asking his divisional chain. This is a classic question to a 'senior' killick from a new OD in ANY trade on board.
LoKe, you are highly encouraged to query supervisors on this kind of stuff - It actually can be the start up of setting up a rapore with supervisors.

Lot's of guys go from no hook ----> Cpl. It's not a big deal. It's not like having a hook gets you more money.

I'd reccomend just going with the flow.

The last time I asked this question of Careers, the answer was 30 months AND QL3. The rationale being that QL3 is your apprentice level training, and the 1st hook is essentially the mark of an apprentice training to be a journeyman.

Given the long training cycle for MedTechs, we've had plenty of folks qualify QL3 after 30 months, and receive their 1st hook as they arrive at the unit.

Spectrum said:
Lot's of guys go from no hook ----> Cpl. It's not a big deal. It's not like having a hook gets you more money.

I'd reccomend just going with the flow.

Have you ever seen it done that way in a Naval environment? If it happens and I have never seen it, it must be a rare thing.

I wasn't intimidated to ask my chain.  It's just that everyone seems to have a different answer.  I've been told by someone in Halifax that it's 30 months.  I've been told by others that it's 30 months and QL3's.

I've also seen people who have not completed their 3's in any trade with a hook.  And there are a couple members with over 30 months and their 3's completed at my unit who do not have their hook, even though it has been brought up and parades have already occurred. 

And I unfortunately don't keep a copy of all the orders on my personal computer.  Must be a shortcoming.

EDIT: Not to mention the CFAO 49-4 also states that you need your QL5a in order to be promoted to Corporal, which is not the case.

For your trade, members need to complete their upclass and usually get promoted around the 30 month mark of service once they're posted to either Letrim or the EW Regt.

CDN Aviator said:
It is not. The attitude in this part of your response is, however.
It is simply my frustration coming out in regards to the CFAO's not always being up-to-date.

I wasn't aware that I offended anyone.

PuckChaser said:
For your trade, members need to complete their upclass and usually get promoted around the 30 month mark of service once they're posted to either Letrim or the EW Regt.
This seems to jive with most of what I've seen.  However, I work with people at the 21EW Regt who meet all criteria and still haven't been given their hook, yet others with the same qualifications have.

I'm just trying to figure out what else is considered.

Why are we beating this subject to death?

The CFAO is still in force as it has not been superseded by a DAOD. To wit: 30 months AND QL3.

It can't be more plain than that.

Back