• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Profiles of posters

I don't go to mess parties. They're gay. But, if I am at a function and wonder who some dude is, I walk over and ask him. If he's a dolt, I tell him so and walk away. When I am at a function, I always introduce myself to anyone who approaches, shake their hand, and make small talk. If they're a dolt, I tell them so, and walk away.
Same thing here. And just like here, if someone is runnin' their yap, and needin' a slap-down, verbal or otherwise, I provide it. That's my not just job, it's sort of a vocation. Almost a calling, really.

I agree that a true profile can show an insight about a new poster.
Thru my profile and posts some members have questioned or asked about my identity & have PM'd about it. In all cases I have responded. If I did not wish to answer thier questions I could of responded with a reply stating I did not wish to devulge the info or not respond at all. The option was mine. I truly believe that the quality of my posts and those of others speak for themselves.

Pro Patria

dont be hatin........I am no poser.

I just enjoy Army.ca

Hopefully my posts speak for themselves (but I have been in the sh^t on here) and may have offended some people. oops

Damn strip clubs!!!

X Royal said:
I agree that a true profile can show an insight about a new poster.
Thru my profile and posts some members have questioned or asked about my identity & have PM'd about it. In all cases I have responded. If I did not wish to answer thier questions I could of responded with a reply stating I did not wish to devulge the info or not respond at all. The option was mine. I truly believe that the quality of my posts and those of others speak for themselves.

Pro Patria

Hey do you remeber me? John Beckerleg's room mate Randy.

John is a teacher in China now by the way.

^Best to take stuff like this to Private Messaging system. :)

I think the Guidelines say it pretty well:

I strongly encourage you to fill out all the sections of your public profile that you're comfortable with. We respect your privacy and won't force you to fill out your profile if you don't want to. Bear in mind though, that the amount of identifyable info in your profile will increase your general credibility here. Those with empty profiles are much harder to verify and will have to put a lot more effort into building a credible presence here.

You don't *have* to fill out your profile, but anonymity comes at a cost in that you may have to "prove" yourself in other ways.

I have to agree with the Mods on this point a post from a person with a blank profile is frustrating and tends to leave a few questions to authenticity of the information. It is my belief thgat no profile there will be no posts, aren't posters lucky I have no real input.  Just a small rant directed at blank profiles.

Regards OLD F of S

I agree.  Although profiles can be anything after a few posts posers can be detected.

Forgive me for commenting, depite having only just joined.

This is not a private board/forum where there is any restriction or control on joining or viewing what is entered in ones profile. I for one would therefore not wish to fill out the profile details unless they became mandatory in which case I confess I would not play.

Personal security is critical in any military and just because we have the luxury of currently not worrying about any domestic terrorist threat in Canada does not mean that we never will.  Call me overcautious but it comes from long experience elsewhere (you just can't tell from my profile!) .

It is an open forum - there will always be a tiny minority people who make incorrect statements or claims that cannot be substantiated but I cannot see how those people can be identified from an equally drummed up profile!

First of all this is a private forum, privately owned.

Second you are correct, it is not mandatory to fill in ones profile.  And many here do not have theirs filled.

However, we do and have, been able to suss out the "Walts" from the real ones.

As for your profile on this forum and public security, don't kid yourself if you believe a blank profile offers you anonymity.

If you are truthful in your posts, and offer good information, you will be believed.  And as a side note, this is also a small army so two and two can be put together and more than likely it is figured out who you are or may be.

I personally agree with the thread, but, it is your right to fill out what you want hence why I have a nome de plume....

it offers a hint of mystery..

dileas

tess

Just speaking for myself...  If someone is posting with information on something, or especially in opinion posts.  I will quite often check the profile to see if the post is coming from years of experience or outside opinion.  I don't know how many other people do this as well but i think that's why the mods encourage people to fill out the profiles.

Jacob said:
Just speaking for myself...   If someone is posting with information on something, or especially in opinion posts.  I will quite often check the profile to see if the post is coming from years of experience or outside opinion.  I don't know how many other people do this as well but i think that's why the mods encourage people to fill out the profiles.

I would imagine that everyone does this.  It is one of the ways that solid information is discerned from anal oratory.  Some people, by their posts, show their obvious knowledge.  Others, their obvious ignorance. 
Commando gunner, I would strongly suggest you fill your profile out at least to include years of experience in the military.  By virtue of your name, you are suggesting that you are a highly trained and experienced member.  I'm not sure what "personal security" risks you feel you are generating by creating an honest and transparent profile.  And don't worry about people who falsely pad their profiles, they get flamed pretty quick around these parts. 
Normal, experienced and proud individuals need not fear.  Teenaged wanna be's that want to play man from the boy's table ought to be concerned.

Turns out we've had some good discussion on this before:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34086.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23303.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/3694.0.html

Mike sorry to start this thread it has been disscussed before, so feel free to lock it. I promise not to bring it up again.

Regards OLD F of S

No worries, I just wanted to point out some of the good discussion we've already had on this. Hopefully it will save someone some typing!

commando gunner said:
Forgive me for commenting, depite having only just joined.

This is not a private board/forum where there is any restriction or control on joining or viewing what is entered in ones profile. I for one would therefore not wish to fill out the profile details unless they became mandatory in which case I confess I would not play.

Actually as was mentioned this IS a private forum.  Currently Mr Bobbit allows anyone to join, but be assured, restrictions can and are placed on members all the time.  Your decision not fill out fill out your profile is your own, but be aware that using an name that implies certain kinds of experience and training.  And as long as your profile remains empty and who you are what you have done remains ambigious, no one will take anything you say seriously, especially if your comments imply exeperience in a certain area  (see posts by little_rudiger as an example).

Personal security is critical in any military and just because we have the luxury of currently not worrying about any domestic terrorist threat in Canada does not mean that we never will.  Call me overcautious but it comes from long experience elsewhere (you just can't tell from my profile!) .
  Any posts that could violate PERSEC/OPSEC are removed as matter of course.  By registering and logining in your IP is logged and from that you can be tracked/located.  Do I know how track/trace IP's, no I don't posses that skill.  But there are people how do have the appropriate computer training and knowledge.  So if you believe your personal security is safe by NOT filling in a profile, you are mistaken/deluded.  As well your last sentence is exactly the kind of statement(s) I was referring to in the paragraph above.

It is an open forum - there will always be a tiny minority people who make incorrect statements or claims that cannot be substantiated but I cannot see how those people can be identified from an equally drummed up profile.

Again as was stated, our military is small, so figuring out who people are doesn't take a rocket scientist, especially when people post details about thier personal life and/or regimental affliations.  We basically work on the 6 degrees of seperation principle.

Back