• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Private Patrick Dessureault Killed, Two Hurt During Training Accident.

Da_man

Reaction score
September 21, 2005

WAINWRIGHT, Alberta â “ Private Patrick Dessureault, of Alma, Quebec was killed, while Private Jonathan Beaudin of Lorraine, Quebec and Master Corporal Richard Boudreault from Charny, Quebec were injured in a training accident. All the soldiers involved were from the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Regiment from CFB Valcartier, Quebec.

The soldiers were in a LAV-III armoured vehicle during a tactical night training exercise in the wainwright training area when the vehicle rolled into the Battle River at approximately 10 p.m. Soldiers in the vicinity rushed to the vehicle and managed to evacuate Pte. Beaudin, and MCpl Boudreault from the turret. Pte. Dessureault, in the driver's compartment, was later evacuated from the vehicle.

"I am saddened by the death of Private Dessurrealt and the injuries sustained by Private Beaudin and Master-Corporal Boudreault," said General Rick Hillier, Canada's Chief of the Defence Staff.  "Our thoughts and prayers are with these fine soldiers' families and friends right now."

Soldiers administered emergency first aid on the casualties until medics arrived on the scene. Pte. Dessureault was en route via helicopter to Sturgeon General Hospital in St. Albert, Alberta when medical personnel pronounced him dead. Pte. Beaudin and MCpl. Boudreault remain under medical observation.

"My thoughts are of our fallen and injured soldiers, as well as their families and friends," said Lieutenant-General Marc Caron, Chief of the Land Staff. "I wish Private Beaudin and Master-Corporal Boudreault speedy and complete recoveries.  Further, I will ensure this fatal accident is thoroughly investigated so that we can learn from it and apply those lessons to future training activities."

Military officials as well as constables from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are currently investigating the accident.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/english/6_4.asp?ID=193

The jobs of soldiers are inherently dangerous even in training, and unfortunately things like this are a matter of when, not if.

Condolences to the family of Private Dessureault and to the Vandoos.

Infanteer said:
Condolences to the family of Private Dessureault and to the Vandoos.

Same, and full recoveries for Pte Beaudin and MCpl Boudreault.

Je me souviens

At the going down of the sun
and in the morn......... we will remember them!

Chimo!

:salute:  RIP Pte Dessureault
Condolences to the family, friends, and Regiment

Best Wish wishes for the recover of the injured.

Infanteer, truer words were never spoken. My sincere concolences to the family of Pte Dessureault, and a speedy recovery to Pte Beaudin and MCpl Boudreault. :salute:

Thoughts and prayers and meditations go to the families and friends...and the regiment.

This affects us all. My condolences.

Condolences to the family of private Dessureault, friends, and Regiment

Best wishes & speedy the recovery for  private Jonathan Beaudin and Master Corporal Richard Boudreault . :salute:

Je Me Souviens

My condolences to the family and friends of Private Dessureault.

Sincerest condolences to the Dessureault family for their tragic loss.

Please include in your prayers the families and friends of all who were involved in the incident, including the unselfish medical folks who assisted in the evacuation of and ongoing care to these gentlemen. 

Rest in Peace Pte Dessurealt

And best wishes on recovery for 2 other soldiers

Canadian soldier dies near Wainwright, Alberta
Last Updated Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:56:23 EDT
CBC News
One Canadian soldier is dead and two others are recovering after a training accident Tuesday night near CFB Wainwright in eastern Alberta.

Private Patrick Dessureault, of Alma, Quebec, was killed, while Private Jonathan Beaudin of Lorraine, Que., and Master Corporal Richard Boudreault from Charny, Que., were injured in the accident.

Military officials said Wednesday that Dessureault died of a broken neck when soft earth near the Battle River gave way, sending his light armoured vehicle rolling into the water.

The soldiers involved were in the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment from CFB Valcartier, near Quebec city.

Commanding officer Lt.-Col. Daniel Menard said the troops were working within the parameters of the exercise and said the death was a freakish mishap. "No rules were broken. The soldiers were conducting normal training at a very low rate and it's just one of those accidents that occurred."

Menard said: "They were doing normal night activities by using night-vision assets they normally have in the vehicle." After the vehicle rolled, he said it took troops more than 45 minutes to get Dessureault out of the hatch and on to a medical helicopter. He died en route to hospital.

The crew commander of the carrier, Master Cpl. Boudreault, was sent to hospital in Edmonton for chest X-rays. His condition was stable. He had been trapped for the longest time in the vehicle and may have taken in water.

The other injured soldier, Pte. Beaudin, was kept in Wainwright in good condition and was to be released back to his unit Thursday.

Menard said his unit arrived a few days ago and that Dessureault's company was on its first night of manoeuvres, getting used to the unfamiliar terrain.

The commanding officer said Dessureault, who leaves behind a girlfriend, had been with the battalion for two years and was an "excellent soldier. The people that were close to the soldier are going through a mourning period where they have to realize not only a comrade has died but also right now they're so close, they're almost like members of their own family. It's like a brother actually died.

"
The other troops were pulled off manoeuvres Wednesday but were to return Thursday.

Canada's Chief of Defence Staff, General Rick Hiller, said: "I am saddened by the death of Private Dessurrealt and the injuries sustained by Private Beaudin and Master-Corporal Boudreault. Our thoughts and prayers are with these fine soldiers' families and friends right now."

A spokesman at Canadian Forces Base Wainwright in Alberta says the death of Pte. Dessureault has hit them hard. Lieutenant Mark Peebles says at the end of the day they're all a "band of brothers."

Military officials and the RCMP were investigating the accident.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/09/21/Cdn_soldier_killed20050921.html

Back