• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Private Corporal positions for OP Attention Afghanistan?

PuckChaser said:
Had to justify 50% of the TO&E being officers somehow...
How would running a PLQ for Cpls justify officer positions?

Journeyman said:

Course officers and the sundre leadership required to run a PRB.

Shamrock said:
Course officers and the sundre sundry leadership required to run a PRB.
A bit of a stretch to justify "50%" ....especially since the PLQ wasn't being run in-theatre.

There'd be no Ptes/Cpls on the tour if they didn't run a PLQ, and someone would start asking questions about why we have a 950 pers roto full of officers when the CDS said there would be opportunities for Ptes/Cpls to deploy post-Afghanistan.

Moe: I concur, that's what I've heard from the various pers that have come back from Attention. Granted, a tour is only as good as you make it out to be, but I can see a lot of people trying to jump on this one for the GCS check-in-the-box to say they've been to Afghanistan. They changed our training at the last minute to actually include soldier skills, because someone didn't think we were deploying to an active warzone and didn't need to cover things like convoy drills and have TCCC courses run.

PuckChaser said:
There'd be no Ptes/Cpls on the tour if they didn't run a PLQ, and someone would start asking questions about why we have a 950 pers roto full of officers when the CDS said there would be opportunities for Ptes/Cpls to deploy post-Afghanistan.

There's no "us VS them". The CF will send who it wants to send. Ptes and Cpls will just have to go on doing what they are told to do and go where told to go. If it turns into a roto full of officers, that just how it is, deal with it and do the jobs you are assigned.

We did pre-deployment trg for over a year for this tour. None of it relevant to the work we are doing over here, but still a good time. Every tour is different, so just smile when you look at your bank statement and count down the days until you return to a civilized nation once again.

BCBoy said:
count down the days until you return to a civilized nation once again.

The "iDeploy" app helps with that one........... ;D

NFLD Sapper said:
Didn't you use that one  ;)

;D

Didn't work so well as my return date was "Somewhere between tomorrow and whenever". That option is not available in the app.

CDN Aviator said:
Didn't work so well as my return date was "Somewhere between tomorrow and whenever". That option is not available in the app.

Ah, you had the beta version then......

CDN Aviator said:
There's no "us VS them". The CF will send who it wants to send. Ptes and Cpls will just have to go on doing what they are told to do and go where told to go. If it turns into a roto full of officers, that just how it is, deal with it and do the jobs you are assigned.

I'm sorry, I guess I haven't learned "suck it up" yet. Just because that's the way things are, doesn't mean we don't have cause to complain about it.

PuckChaser said:

Moe: I concur, that's what I've heard from the various pers that have come back from Attention. Granted, a tour is only as good as you make it out to be, but I can see a lot of people trying to jump on this one for the GCS check-in-the-box to say they've been to Afghanistan. They changed our training at the last minute to actually include soldier skills, because someone didn't think we were deploying to an active warzone and didn't need to cover things like convoy drills and have TCCC courses run.

Correction, no Pte's and Cpl's as Mentors/Advisors. Not to Troll.

Hurricane said:
Correction, no Pte's and Cpl's as Mentors/Advisors. Not to Troll.

I have 3 Cpls in my group... some don't even have DP2 courses yet.

PuckChaser said:
I have 3 Cpls in my group... some don't even have DP2 courses yet.

Maybe they are "training aids" or drivers for ya.....

Thats all I was getting at, there are numerous positions on the tour as drivers, tfc, supply, ect. Just to let the OP know there is a POSSIBILITY of getting A position without PLQ. However, like someone had said before odds are the positions will be filled by the original staff check. Then again, just to play the dark side of the moon here, my unit originally had more names on paper to send, then with the position cuts ect those pers lost their spot. You would think they would then in turn have first pick at 10% pool, but this is not the case. 10% went to new names entirely, just how the cookie crumbles.

NFLD Sapper said:
Maybe they are "training aids" or drivers for ya.....

Training aids.... perfect. I'm going to use that one.

I'd agree with you, Hurricane. Anyone on the replacement pool should have been given first shot, since they've already done the training. I think there was a little bit of Big R and little r politics at play since a lot of the replacements are RegF pers (that I've seen).

CDN Aviator said:

......and you kept losing your phone :whistle:

PuckChaser said:
Training aids.... perfect. I'm going to use that one.

I'd agree with you, Hurricane. Anyone on the replacement pool should have been given first shot, since they've already done the training. I think there was a little bit of Big R and little r politics at play since a lot of the replacements are RegF pers (that I've seen).

We're all on one team.

Priorities change. The choices are not always as simple as what the lowest common denominator on the ground perceives them to be.

I don't expect NDHQ to contact me and explain every plan or change that they make. Neither should you.

PuckChaser said:
I'm sorry, I guess I haven't learned "suck it up" yet. Just because that's the way things are, doesn't mean we don't have cause to complain about it.
Last PLQ I was involved with included emphasis on MCpls being leadership role models.

I guess it's different outside the combat arms.

Back